Thread: early fire season by the looks of it

Thanks

Default early fire season by the looks of it

looks like all the dry weather has started and early fire season.

more than 30 out-of-control blazes threaten homes across New South Wales.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fandtm666 For This Useful Post:

enf (15-08-18),mtv (16-08-18),ol' boy (17-08-18)

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Not good with this continuing dry spell and frosts taking more moisture out of the foliage every day.
    The only saving grace will be where livestock have grazed and there is almost no cover left to burn but even that is no guarantee it wont still burn.
    Here on my part of the Central Tablelands, its dry again, very low temps of between -2 and 12C with a light Sou Westerly wind of around 10kph if the BOM site is to be believed.
    Humidity is an important factor where fires are concerned and my weather gauge is reading 32% but I am not sure if thats good or bad.

I did notice the other that it appears livestock have been grazing 'in the Long Paddock' (Road side) which is good as it reduces the possibility of a fire starting from the road deliberately or otherwise.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 15-08-18 at 05:50 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

Landytrack (17-08-18)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

wow, looks like we have all your rain down here. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Hope you all are prepared.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks

bloody little shits lucky the lady saw them and called the cops

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

We hear it every year.... this year is going to be a bad one, but with total fire bans being declared mid-August and the extent of fires happening already, it's a fair indication 2018/19 fire season will indeed likely be 'a bad one'.

Victorian fire agencies are predicting the worst fire season in ten years, since Black Saturday.

It's the first time ever that fire restrictions will be introduced in Gippsland as early as September.

Fire Bugs are also at work already... 3 16 year old boys have been charged with intentionally lighting a fire in Blaxland (Blue Mountains NSW) yesterday.... a day of total fire ban.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Landytrack (17-08-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    We hear it every year.... this year is going to be a bad one,.
    Yep. It's a predictable news story they run every year just like kids getting their HSC results and someone from the retail traders having a whinge that sales are down in February and the hot weather has brought Crowds to the beaches. No shit Sherlock!

This year one only has to look around and see how dry and dead everything is to know it's not going to be good. In the last 12 Months here on the outskirts of Sydney we have got 1/5th the annual rainfall. I VERY much doubt that where I am because unless my rain gauge has a hole in it that bleeds off half of what it captures, the official rainfall and what I ( and my brother in law 1.5 km away) have seen, are very different.

When you get a post hole Digger and go down 1 Meter and all you see is bone dry dust, you know it's not good.

I do wonder however about these people you see every year that back onto 20 Km of bush but have trees growing right up to and over their houses. They leave only one possible outcome should a fire come along. Incredibly, I have seen reports where people loose everything and say This is the 2nd/ 3rd time then go onto make the same mistakes again.
    I think there should be a law that stipulates in a fire prone area that you have to have the bush cleared a Minimum distance where you have the space.

The other thing that amazes me is these people have no self protection other than a garden hose which is useless when you need it. Again I think it should be mandatory that if you live in an area where you are at risk from bushfire, you should be required to have a say 3000L tank, fire pump and hose. To not have anything to defend yourself with I think is completely irresponsible. Sure you may pack up and piss off but you can bet some other volunteer or full time firefighter is going to be there where they can trying to protect the home that you are too lazy or stupid to give a damn about yourself. You can always have a pump going on the house or at the direction of the fire and go and hope for the best. It very well might make a significant difference.

Maybe there is a simpler answer for the lazy and stupid, A sign on the front fence that says " Let this one burn and put your effort into saving someone elses house that have tried to do what they can to save it themselves. "
    I'm damn sure If I thought there was ANY risk of my place going up, I'd have the bush well back and fire pumps and tanks at the ready if I didn't have a swimming pool to draw from.

My heart really goes out to people that loose their homes in fires, I had friends that lost everything bar the shirts on their back 5 years ago including their pets and they did nothing wrong as far as having bush close to the house etc. I could never get my head round how you start again from absoloutley Nothing. They did but it certainly took a very big toll.

Those people that are too lazy or have some stupid idea about not wanting to cut down the bush or whatever deserve more than they do get for their complacency. Be they there or not, there's a good chance their apathy is putting someones life at risk and that is a big sin in my book.

• The Following User Says Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

Landytrack (17-08-18)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

When we built our Church, and when friends built, all in a rural area. One of the stipulations was that they had to install water tanks purely for firefighting. We were not even allowed to take occupancy until the tanks had the requisite amount of water in them.

IMO if a home is in a fire prone area and is not "insured", both financially and by preventative measures, the owner has no right to cry poor when they get burnt out. I understand the desire to live amongst the gum tree, with lots of plumb trees, but (un)common sense must also prevail. A building permit should not be issued unless fire mitigation is in place.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

george65 (17-08-18),Landytrack (17-08-18)

Premium Member

Thanks

Very dry in the Central Tablelands/Central West N.S.W where I mostly run around in my local area. Some paddocks in and around Bathurst really have that parched bare look and hate to think what it will be like around February next year.

One farmer acquaintance has told me that for the first time after his family have been on a property for four generations their main water creek has dried up. He is now carting water for his stock which is a time consuming tedious job.

Has to cart water almost every day.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Friends near Huskinson had fires in each direction.
    NSW in Drought
    SW Vic has had so much rain and more to come it is hard to believe there is a drought anywhere

Trees are falling over just due to the soggy ground
    Drive off the road and you are bogged
    Ground so wet, you cant even mow the lawns
    Dairy Farms so wet, cows are over knee deep in mud and need rescuing with the tractor

Then there is a fire in SE Vic at Cape Conran, just nuts
    Last edited by ol' boy; 17-08-18 at 10:44 AM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

And what an incredible snow season as well.

• The Following User Says Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

Landytrack (17-08-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    Snow Season and Fire Season, you generally never hear that in the sentence.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    wow, looks like we have all your rain down here. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Hope you all are prepared.

Yep, if one area gets a drought the media scream "climate change" while at the same time another gets huge dumpings of rain and another has a great snow year.

Thats the joys of living in a big vast country that isnt the size of a tiny European country with predictable weather patterns due to its tiny size.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

Landytrack (17-08-18)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Maybe down 'your end' but here its been ZILCH so far.
    I totally detest snow but to see a decent fall that I know will melt and run off to provide some much need moisture, would make me and many others VERY happy.
    I last went out Bathurst way about 6 weeks ago now but I saw then what Landytrack describes and if he comes east, he will know its no better here when it usually has a bit of green at least because we can get some relief from moisture coming off the Coast but that has been in short supply this winter.

PS, if I read correctly, those three charged with lighting a fire come FROM Blaxland but the Fire was lit at BILPIN. One is directly opposite the other but by road is about 50 kms either way.

How did Three 15 year olds get between the 2 locations ?
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 17-08-18 at 07:08 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Yep, if one area gets a drought the media scream "climate change"
    As I recall, it went from gloBULL warming to climate change about the time that the entire northern hemisphere was under about 30Ft of snow for 6 months. Made it a bit difficult to bitch about the planet warming up amid the greatest snowfall and record low temps. With climate change they can push their faux Religion if it rains in the dessert or the average temps for the year are .01 degree out from last year.

If you look at different weather records, there are still loads from the 1800's or early 1900's for hot, cold, dry, wet and every other damn measurement they take but this whole scam ( Y2K with 10 years to perfect it this time as I say) is really based on the last 10-50 years, whatever group of records serves the con job they are trying to push.

• The Following User Says Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

Landytrack (17-08-18)

Premium Member

Thanks

Heard the Snowy Mtns snow season this year is one of the best in years. Here in the Central Tablelands Oberon, Black Springs, Ginkin and the higher country around them have had snowfalls this year.
    Some snow out at Orange as well, mostly around the Mt Canobolas/Nashdale area.

As Gordon ' commented there are a lot of cattle grazing on many of the side roads around Bathurst and they are munching most gleefully from what I have seen. Probably the first feed they have had for weeks.

If nothing else will reduce the potential fire load on the road sides which is a good thing.
    Last edited by Landytrack; 17-08-18 at 08:06 PM.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Oh! so now i'm pissed off; you got all our snow. J/K
    Actually we have been getting snow to the higher levels, but not down where I am at 500m, we are supposed to get our snow on Sunday or maybe not.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks

this side of the fence still real wet, but when it dries out she'll be magic for the pyro's