Thread: Youtube New and Classic work around.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Default Youtube New and Classic work around.

Youtube brought out a "new and improved" desktop version last year to replace "Youtube Classic", which had nothing wrong with it. You could switch between the 2 until recently, when they removed the button and you were stuck with new by default. As usual, we have a large company forcing what they want on its users and ignoring all feedback.

The new version is horrible. Rather than have older 4:3 video with black bars on the side, they have removed them and made the picture even bigger which pixelates some older stuff thats for example in 480. They have even messed with 16:9 stuff stretching it further, this morning it was stretching in to menus. Whoever is in charge is an idiot. Today they broke it completely with thousands of people complaining. Its now fixed, but you are stuck with the new version and its horrible look. I have added some screen shots, but they dont really show how bad it is as I dont want to bore you with giant full screens and I would also have to edit personal info out. But you can see the size and shape difference with the 4:3 bars removed, its enormous on a desktop screen.

Youtube Classic

Youtube "New"

However, Youtube Classic still appears on older browsers so there is a work around. As an example, I am a Chrome user and downloaded the Chrome browser extension "User Agent Switcher for Chrome".
    Basically, it allows you to disguise your browser and I set a permanent rule in it so Youtube sees my browser as Internet 10 , which as an old browser loads up Youtube Classic instead of the new mess.

I thought I would post a fix up as many people are complaining and looking for a fix, and we rank reasonably well on Google.

Look Here ->

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

I do not get it with these company's. Always " improving thing but infallibly sending it completely backwards.
    Youtube, Skype and don't even get me started on the effort FB has put into making itself more of a pain in the butt over the years. Never did like it or used it much but with it's popularity these days you often have no choice as people use it like it's the only way to communicate.

Like so many others, YT started out good, got better, found a level of Success and has started shooting itself in the foot and going downhill just like all the others. Who the hell advises the decision makers in these company's? Do they not send out market research teams to get customer feedback or do they just ignore it all. My guess is they probably think they can make a bigger buck out of their stuff ups.

No doubt when the arese fall out their share price like it has faceboob, the board will sit round wondering what happened to cause that?
    Of course the 13 yo kid selling papers out the front of the building could have told them exactly where they were going wrong 3 years back but he's not on $1M a year to run the show like the directors so why listen to him?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Youtube has always been a good product, but as always companies look to extract maximum profit out of what they have. For some reason that always seems to involve a total refresh and rebuild of what everyone has come to like, and they then seem surprised that people hate what they have done.

Google have now become yet another politically correct company, so they have probably opened a counselling service for the designers who received the bad feedback.

You are right on market research. Like political polling, I have never been contacted in my life on either and I am 51. I have been using Youtube ever since it came out and have been a voter for 33 years. Seems it must just be bad luck that no one asks me

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

I haven't noticed anything myself
    No YouTube "New" here that i can tell?

How do you change it?
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

There's still an option to 'Restore old youtube' in settings if not signed in but it does nothing except bring up a feedback form, sign in & that option vanishes.
    With Chromium & Firefox it was showing the old version until I cleared the cookies, now it shows the new version which I'm not at all impressed with.

been using that for a while without issues.