Thread: IOT may be the next target

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,060 Times in 3,338 Posts

Default IOT may be the next target

Could be quite scary if it turns out to be a railway crossing at peak hour.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Look Here ->
    Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Sydney Rail just switched from it's old fashioned analog signalling to digital.
    I wonder if they use Meshlium for sensor management?
    Nevertheless I find that vulnerabilities in these systems would be extremely seldom.
    In most cases somebody got access to the passkeys or somebody stuffed up.

Generally I find always centralising things can be a bad idea but that is only me and my old fashioned views about being redundant with tech. Like having offline backups, allowing systems to run independant and cache their activities offline until a connection at one point is established and all the data is dumped at once to a central server.
    Just yesterday you couldn't pay with Commbank terminals and on Sunday Coles had to keep their stores shut nation wide because of a 'server glitch'.

For many decades I have always been one of the first to adapt new tech but having EVERYTHING connected to the Internet > IoT will be my first big NO.
    The only IoT I have is an inside security camera that sends a message to my phone when it detects motion and I can view and hear and talk to the intruder from anywhere in the world(while I am calling the police). It is fully disconnected from power with a hidden switch when we are at home. The external cameras(aways on) are only intranet accessible. Push messages are pointless as there is always something moving outside.

Here is my vision of manually switching on a light bulb using IoT:
    1. Find Phone (it is not glued to my hand as I don't use FaceSlap)
    2. Open Phone and unlock it
    3. Locate the App and tap on it
    4. Wait for App to load and connect to the Internet
    5. Scroll through the App and find the menu to enable the light bulb control
    6. Select the correct light bulb from the menu and set to "active"
    7. Wait for the Internet to respond, sometimes these things need their time.
    8. Enjoy true illumination from the IoT !

...of course in reality the IoT will always switch on the lights automatically where ever I go as cameras track my every move, even on the loo I guess.

And of course it automatically orders your food from what it detects in your fridge storage.
    Problems might occur when the milk sensor gets cross signalled through a vulnerability with the beer sensor when it detects that beer ran out in the night(as usual) and you have six cartons of milk on your doorstep next morning.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• 21-11-18, 01:44 AM