Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nice International space station pass last night.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,203 Times in 391 Posts

Default Nice International space station pass last night.

Meade LX90 ACF 8" F10 SCT, 1/2000 second at ISO1600, Pentax K-5. Tracked by hand.

Piccy at Astrobin --->

2. The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Learjet For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

allover (23-08-18),ammlione (28-08-18),carjackma (23-08-18),enf (25-08-18),fandtm666 (23-08-18),fred49au (24-08-18),george65 (23-08-18),hinekadon (23-08-18),LeroyPatrol (23-08-18),mkhannah (23-08-18),ol' boy (23-08-18),Onefella (24-08-18),peteramjet (01-09-18),shred (23-08-18),snacker (23-08-18),Thala Dan (23-08-18),Tiny (23-08-18),tristen (23-08-18),Uncle Fester (08-09-18),vnboost (23-08-18),william10 (23-08-18)

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

No way.... That is awesome!
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (23-08-18),Learjet (23-08-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

good to see you're back in action, nice pic....

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hoe For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (23-08-18),Learjet (23-08-18)

Thanks

Yeah I'm back, sort of. I have the flu now.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

I think we saw it earlier. It was bright and moving fairly fast. We looked a way for a bit as it was heading towards the moon and then it disappeared. I'm guessing the sun stopped reflecting on it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,226 Times in 580 Posts

That's awesome. Great pic.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Great shot!!!!
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,360 Times in 678 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Learjet View Post
    Tracked by hand.
    I love it.

Thanks

Thanks all. Ended back in hospital with that flu. I need a break from getting sick.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Best wishes and hopefully you'll be back home ASAP.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

Learjet (02-09-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

Who sabotaged the space station?

A few days ago NASA notice a drop in air pressure on the ISS.
    This is typical of a leak. The Astronautswere sleeping at the time and because the leak was slow, they were left to sleep and when they were awake, they were given the task to find the
    source of the leak a couple of hours later.

They eventually isolated the source of the leak to a hole in the Soyuz space craft service module.
    The German astronaut stopped it by putting his finger on it and they repaired it with some tape.

The thought was that the source might be a micro meteor, but inspection of the hole shows it's clearly drilled and from the inside of the Soyuz service module.
    (I thought it would be a bit funny if it was drilled from the outside.)

So it's most likely it was done while the spacecraft was on the ground, but after flight approval testing of the assembled Soyuz spacecraft.
    the hole and leak would have been noticed in testing, so it has happened after that when the vehicle was moved and assembled onto the rocket.

Some weird shit going on there.

Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

• The Following User Says Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (08-09-18)

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

Default great photos too

no theres a easy answer its an invisible martian with a makita after all they were asleep so he sneaked up on them bet he rode his horse as well lol those were great photos and a well done effort to get them learjet
    Last edited by hinekadon; 08-09-18 at 09:33 AM. Reason: more

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Accident by worker and covered up with a patch that fell off.

It is claimed the worker has been identified.
    I would expect that he will spend the rest of his life in a Siberian salt mine covering up nuclear waste with his skills but this time without access to a drill.

Yes and excellent picture Learjet
    I must have missed this thread earlier.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 08-09-18 at 03:26 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (08-09-18)

LSemmens
    Thanks

It does make you wonder just how thick the shell of these space craft is that a small hole like that could vent into space. Most small drill bits that I know of are only about 20-25mm long. A hole that deep would have required a concerted effort to create. By the looks of the picture I could understand a hole 2 or 3 mm deep being made to mount something, but, anyone worth their salt would be thinking, "I shouldn't need to drill this long to mount a (whatever)". It seems like sabotage to me. Why? Who knows? Maybe ISIS will lay claim to it...... Or not given that it didn't work.

Thanks

What is interesting is what you (the average person) thinks a space craft is made of.
    They look all tough and built like a brick shithouse when they're sitting on a rocket. But they're quite fragile like aircraft.

The big factor is that they need to be light, so the skin is usually not much thicker than an aluminium can. An inside and outside shell with insulating material and a bit of reinforcing like kevlar. The Russians typically rain atmospheric pressure with air which made their spacecraft heavier. The Americans typically used a lower pressure oxygen rich atmosphere. This put less stress on the spacecraft and made it lighter, but as can be seen from Apollo 1, it has some disavantages. Apollo 1 used 100% oxygen (EAN100) rather than something like EAN50 which was used after apollo 1.

So really it's quite easy to put a hole in a spacecraft. The moon landers literally just had a single thin sheet of aluminium. Buzz Aldrin commented that you could poke a hole in them with a pen if you weren't careful.

I was quite surprised by how big the hole is and was amused at how the patch survived this long before the leak became obvious.

• The Following User Says Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (09-09-18)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    It does make you wonder just how thick the shell of these space craft is that a small hole like that could vent into space. Most small drill bits that I know of are only about 20-25mm long. A hole that deep would have required a concerted effort to create. By the looks of the picture I could understand a hole 2 or 3 mm deep being made to mount something, but, anyone worth their salt would be thinking, "I shouldn't need to drill this long to mount a (whatever)". It seems like sabotage to me. Why? Who knows? Maybe ISIS will lay claim to it...... Or not given that it didn't work.
    Based on the size of the finger (assuming the owner doesn't have huge sausage fingers) that hole is between 2-3mm diameter and the thickness, of what is most likely quite soft aluminium based on those scatch marks, a little over 1 mm.
    It is merely a matter of seconds to create that hole with a good sharp drill.

The worker may have actually wanted to pre-drill for the larger hole above and then realised it was on the wrong side, but the idiot should have also used a punch first.
    The cover up patch should have held the whole time it was in space because of the inside pressure but maybe this pressure caused it eventually to puncture and then of course no pressure could hold anymore if the adhesive failed

I am sure somebody who REALLY wanted to sabotage this mission would have known that such a small hole would not have caused more than an inconvenience.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (10-09-18)

LSemmens
    Thanks

Interesting about the construction, it's not something I'd ever considered, though, it does make sense. Every ounce, especially to reach escape velocity would use a LOT of fuel. I'd have considered that at that velocity through the atmosphere the shell would need to be strong to prevent distortion. Your premise of a errant drill hole by a worker may be true. For sabotage, I wouldn't put it past a person thinking that a small hole like that would cause catastrophic failure. Look at the urban myths that persist regarding bullets and aircraft.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    Interesting about the construction, it's not something I'd ever considered, though, it does make sense. Every ounce, especially to reach escape velocity would use a LOT of fuel. I'd have considered that at that velocity through the atmosphere the shell would need to be strong to prevent distortion. Your premise of a errant drill hole by a worker may be true. For sabotage, I wouldn't put it past a person thinking that a small hole like that would cause catastrophic failure. Look at the urban myths that persist regarding bullets and aircraft.
    It depends where the hole is and how to get to it as far as the danger is concerned.

As nomeat said, he'll have no trouble finding salt for his boiled cabbage I suspect.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Thanks

they did it no they did it

Russia blaming the usa for it

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fandtm666 View Post
    they did it no they did it

Russia blaming the usa for it
    The small problem is, the only opportunity the Americans had was when the Soyuz was in space.
    After all, if the hole was done on the ground then they would have found it during flight testing. If it was done during the transfer phase, then the service module would have depressurised on the way.

Where the hole is, it's almost impossible to drill that hole in space. In order to drill the hole, you need friction, an anchor point or a pressure/jam point. In space, none of those are available from where this hole is located.
    The most logical conclusion is of course that it is a mistake that was covered up.

When it comes to holes. The pressure difference between the inside of the Soyuz and the outside is only about 14lbs per square inch.
    This is about the same pressure that my feet put on the ground.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast