Thread: The number of the o-rings and their measurement inside the old style water taps

Thanks

Default The number of the o-rings and their measurement inside the old style water taps

I have old water taps (20+ years old) installed at the bathroom water basins in my place. The cold and hot water taps are separate. There is one hot water tap, it works fine, but when open the tap too much, some water comes out from the middle axle of the tap and the water not go into the basin, while on the water basin bench. it must be the o-ring wore out (not the washer). but i haven't opened the water tap to examine this. my questions are 1) how many o-rings inside the water tap, one or two? 2) do all the old style water taps like this have the same number of o-rings inside? do the o-rings inside these old style water taps have standard and what are their measurements? thanks

Look Here ->
    Thanks

there is a single oring on the spindle of the tap plus a body washer.

To replace is simple turn water of - open tap to release pressure - remove handle and cover flange
    remove the spindle hold the body of the spindle and turn the center and it will come down
    you can then remove it and replace the oring and while at it install a new washer and body washer

Thanks

In order to replace the o ring(s) (which in my experience I have seen up to 3 !) you will need to unscrew the spindle from the body - once removed from the tap of course - as you have mentioned.

Now a trap for young players...

Might I suggest that when you go to put the tap back together (a little O ring lubricant makes the job professional), you make sure that the spindle is in the fully "open" (tap on) position. Fully on really means fully on

I have seen many people cause big damage to the washer, seat and threads by screwing the body down hard when the spindle is in the closed position. This only drives the washer out the seat and the body threads do not do up completely.

This tiny mistake can render your whole DIY experience useless - and create an expensive repair !

Good luck !

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Spindle sizes vary, so you would need to obtain the correct size O ring to match it.

You can buy assorted packs of O rings from places like Bunnings, etc, but you could always take the spindle into a plumbing supplies store and they'll find the correct size for you.

Good advice above, re: lube and replacing all washers on the tap at the same time.

Given the age of the tap, the body washer may fall apart when you undo the spindle anyway.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

My Son replaced a spindle recently and it still kept dripping so he had to buy the tool needed to re-seat the valve.
    I cant remember how long ago I bought and installed the old unit but once it was re-seated, no more leaks.
    I have a couple of those kits bought from Bunnings or where ever and usually after a week of searching, its found and the tap fixed.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    My Son replaced a spindle recently and it still kept dripping so he had to buy the tool needed to re-seat the valve.
    I cant remember how long ago I bought and installed the old unit but once it was re-seated, no more leaks.
    I have a couple of those kits bought from Bunnings or where ever and usually after a week of searching, its found and the tap fixed.
    yes the seats can become damaged especially when using brass washers.

You can get a re-seating bit at most hardware stores which you put into a cordless drill
    and slowly machine the seat surface.

but at times the seat is to deeply pitted and will need to be re-seated with a new
    stainless seat .This is done with a tool that will tap a thread into the hole of the seat and the new stainless
    one is then screwed in.

Every time i replace a tap washer anywhere i always give the seat a quick polish with that tool
    Last edited by fandtm666; 02-09-18 at 04:07 PM.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I have 5 or 6 taps here and I dont think any 2 are alike so those multi washer kits work for me.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

The O ring is 99% of the time an 8.5.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks

yes a lot have the 8.5 but depending on the brand could be an 8 or a 9
    i have the little packs but also for about $30 have a huge set that does all
    plus more.

• The Following User Says Thank You to fandtm666 For This Useful Post:

macca (02-09-18)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    I have 5 or 6 taps here and I dont think any 2 are alike so those multi washer kits work for me.
    similar here, have taps ranging from 30 years old to 10 years old & there are many variations on o-ring size & number.
    Have rebuilt many & always clean up the seats with a tap seat tool, then new o-rings & washers & some o-ring lube.

Some of the really old taps get tight & lose travel due to old lubricant & debris around the shaft, which can prevent being able to separate the spindle; a little WD40 & some back & forth motion will free this up & then you can remove the spindle, blast it out with some compressed air or use some cotton buds in the cylinder & a light wire brush on the shaft before putting new o-ring/s on & lube.
    Last edited by Tiny; 03-09-18 at 11:32 AM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks

thanks for your inputs for my post. these two water taps are for hot water, so easier to have problems, however i have already fixed them and they work perfectly at the moment, the job is quite easy. they should have many years life to go.