Thread: Freeview TV antenna system inside the roof cavity to replace the one on the roof

Thanks

Default Freeview TV antenna system inside the roof cavity to replace the one on the roof

An UHF Terrestrial Freeview TV antenna installed at the roof of my property for many years, and I upgraded it with an amplifier a few years ago, so it can provision Freeview TV service to 6+ TVs installed in the each bedroom and each lounge in this two story property. the roof is concrete tiles structure and there is a lot space in the roof cavity area. is there any antenna system could be installed inside the roof cavity to replace this on-roof antenna system for the same Freeview TV service? please recommend. thanks.

Look Here ->
    Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

too many variables to calculate just suck it and see

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

If your roof has foil insulation under the tiles, it will block the signal.

Unless you are in a very good reception area, you should always use an antenna on the roof (not inside it).

There is no "best antenna". It depends on your location, signal levels, other surroundings, buildings, trees, etc.

As mentioned, too many variables with the little info you've provided.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (02-09-18),tristen (02-09-18)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

IIRC with UHF signals ANYTHING between you and the transmitter can degrade the signal. With digital it's even worse. This is why there are so many blackspots in our major cities with hi-rise buildings. To maximise you chances of a good digital signal you need a clear line of sight between your aerial and the transmitter. FWIW I live approx 100km from our FTA transmitters but can physically see them on a clear day and rarely get a crap signal, even my old analogue antenna still works pretty well. My sister, who lived about 20km away, in "the big smoke" rarely got a reliable unpixellated signal.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by qiubosu View Post
    An UHF Terrestrial Freeview TV antenna
    Are you in NZ?
    Never stand under a shadow that's getting bigger

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

This query reminds me of the days when Colour TV (1974) was being introduced and the 'Shonks' went around telling everyone that their current antenna was 'unsuitable' and needed to be replaced by a 'Coloured' Antenna ( actually anodised in Gold I think) to pick up the signal.
    Roll on 40 years later with the introduction of Digital TV and firstly we had to buy a 'Digital' antenna preferably approved by 'Freeview' or again the suggestion was made it would not pick up all the channels.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (03-09-18)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Absolutely, Gordon. My old analogue works well enough for all the "spare" TVs i the house, I didn't pay for the digital one, so I'm not complaining, Signal is marginally better on the digital aerial, (less pixellation) given our distance from the Tx site.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member

Thanks

My attitude is an Antenna is an antenna and what I look for is the quality of construction and obviously the cost because buying a 'Brand Name' doesnt always equate to quality.
    I feel that after a few years of being hammered by everything Nature can hurl at an antenna, it does begin to degrade and even though it looks good and maybe still receiving well, replacing it and its feed line may show an improvement but that too 'will come to pass'...........'in the Fullness of Time'........
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Banned

Thanks

it has come to my attention that bird have yet to make a digital swr meter and they have no intention of being the first on the market with one as the model 43 seems to do the job quite well and digital aerials are yet to be perfected so there is no point in having one but they do suggest a reasonable level of power can be measured by puting one finger in the air ,preferably the centre one on the right hand as it has the most capture area

Thanks

thank you very much for your inputs for my post. plan to install a solar panel system on the roof, and search for a solution for the roof freeview TV antenna system, it is best to replace it by installing one inside the roof cavity if the technology already available. with background in antenna, microwave technology in many, many, many years ago, if the freeview antenna technology is already available for roof cavity application, then this will be a very easy task.

Premium Member

Thanks

Irrespective of the actual roof material used, I would be interested to know what affect Rain, Rail, Frost and Snow could have on it to perhaps reduces is transparency to TV signals.
    I am sure there are many here who would like to know just what 'Freeview Antenna Technology' specifications are for this type of installation.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Simple answer.

To ensure you obtain the best possible reception and avoid interference from solar panels.... install the antenna ON the roof.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (04-09-18),hinekadon (04-09-18),tristen (04-09-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Roll on 40 years later with the introduction of Digital TV and firstly we had to buy a 'Digital' antenna preferably approved by 'Freeview' or again the suggestion was made it would not pick up all the channels.
    Most networks have changed channels for digital. While your OLD antenna may work, as it is cut for the old channel allocation, it won't be optimal for the new channels.

Banned

Thanks

Default uhmmm what ???

Quote Originally Posted by jgm View Post
    Most networks have changed channels for digital. While your OLD antenna may work, as it is cut for the old channel allocation, it won't be optimal for the new channels.
    no tv antenna is "cut to channels" they are designed to be as flat across the coverage band of channels there is no such thing as a "digital antenna " perhaps a little education on antenna theory may be in order ????

Premium Member

Thanks

Try convincing some people of that.
    2 examples,
    I drive by a House and I am amazed to see that they have a nice multi element Yagi about 3 metres off the ground pointing directly at the local Translator 5 kms away polarised Horizontaly.
    The houses around this one also have nice new Yagis clearly mounted facing the Translator too BUT they are polarised VERTICALLY which is what the standard is for this area and has been long before this house was even built.
    The other was mounting a Hills CA16 VHF Phased Array so the the 'driven' elements were facing UP towards the Moon. They must have got some signal as it remained like that for years.

Banned

Thanks

hi gordan ?yes i get a good laugh out of a drive to see the antennas in the nebouirhood but in the trade is funnier with installations IE bending the reflectors so they fit on the bracket and dont touch the roof cheers don