Thread: Copying OS SSD to SSD - Also Win 10 Mail Program

Banned
    Thanks

Default Copying OS SSD to SSD - Also Win 10 Mail Program

I have just got a new Lenovo Thinkpad laptop. It came with a 128gb SSD (M.2) with Win 10 loaded and a slot inside fit another secondary hard drive.

My initial intention was to get a 1tb HDD for the second slot and use it for all my pics, music etc and leave all the OS and programs etc on the SSD.

However when I went to MSY to but the HDD I had a second thought and came out with an Intel 2.5" 500gb SSD.

Now when I install the new 500gb SSD I will want it to run the OS and programs so make it the C drive and use the 128gb to hold my personal files.

So I will need to clone the 128gb SSD across to the 500gb SSD so it has the OS on it and becomes the new C drive.

Can someone please recommend suitable software that will allow cloning of the software from one disk to the other with the disks in the computer - I guess I will need to go into the bios to tell it to boot from the new drive.

Question Number 2.
    8 years ago when I upgraded I went from Win Xp to Win 7 so lost my old mail program Outlook Express and lost a lot of old emails. Now I will be going from Windows Live Mail (hated it but after 8 years got used to it) to some email program associated with Win 10 (Please do not tell me it is Outlook). So how do I get my 8 years of saved emails firstly across from my old computer to my new computer and secondly in the new email program?

Thanks

Garry

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by garrycol View Post
    I have just got a new Lenovo Thinkpad laptop. It came with a 128gb SSD (M.2) with Win 10 loaded and a slot inside fit another secondary hard drive.

My initial intention was to get a 1tb HDD for the second slot and use it for all my pics, music etc and leave all the OS and programs etc on the SSD.

However when I went to MSY to but the HDD I had a second thought and came out with an Intel 2.5" 500gb SSD.

Now when I install the new 500gb SSD I will want it to run the OS and programs so make it the C drive and use the 128gb to hold my personal files.

So I will need to clone the 128gb SSD across to the 500gb SSD so it has the OS on it and becomes the new C drive.

Can someone please recommend suitable software that will allow cloning of the software from one disk to the other with the disks in the computer - I guess I will need to go into the bios to tell it to boot from the new drive.

Question Number 2.
    8 years ago when I upgraded I went from Win Xp to Win 7 so lost my old mail program Outlook Express and lost a lot of old emails. Now I will be going from Windows Live Mail (hated it but after 8 years got used to it) to some email program associated with Win 10 (Please do not tell me it is Outlook). So how do I get my 8 years of saved emails firstly across from my old computer to my new computer and secondly in the new email program?

Thanks

Garry
    First question
    Intel provide there own software.

Second question. Never tried it myself. But have heard some good reviews

Also try

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

...Now when I install the new 500gb SSD I will want it to run the OS and programs so make it the C drive and use the 128gb to hold my personal files....So I will need to clone the 128gb SSD across to the 500gb SSD so it has the OS on it and becomes the new C drive...Can someone please recommend suitable software that will allow cloning of the software from one disk to the other with the disks in the computer...
    There are many versions of a "Lenovo Thinkpad laptop".

If your version lacks a CD/DVD player, get a copy of Hirens Boot CD V.6.0.2 (on USB) from and follow the instructions for making a bootable USB copy. Use this to boot your computer from and use Ghost to copy your old HDD to the new HDD.

If your unit does have a CD/DVD player, you might prefer to boot from the CD version of Hirens, available from .

...I guess I will need to go into the bios to tell it to boot from the new drive.
    Yes, you will.

Question Number 2.
    8 years ago when I upgraded I went from Win Xp to Win 7 so lost my old mail program Outlook Express and lost a lot of old emails. Now I will be going from Windows Live Mail (hated it but after 8 years got used to it) to some email program associated with Win 10 (Please do not tell me it is Outlook). So how do I get my 8 years of saved emails firstly across from my old computer to my new computer and secondly in the new email program?..Thanks...Garry
    Plenty of info at , which explains how to do this.

Banned
    Thanks

Thanks to both of you for your input.

I just tried the Intel Migration link and it seemed to copy my C drive over to the D drive OK. The issue is I now want to swap the drive letters over and have hit a hitch. Using Disk Manager I cannot change the current C drive to any other letter because it is running the computer and the as C is already allocated I cannot change to current D drive over to C. In the past I would have removed the C drive and rebooted the computer and it would automatically allocate C to the new single drive then shut down - reinstall the old drive and then reboot and it would either pick up a new drive letter or ask for you to allocate one. However it is a bit hard to do this on the laptop so I am hoping someone has an idea how to do this rather than me pulling than me pulling the laptop apart again.

So any ideas how to change a drive letter while the drive is in use would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Last edited by garrycol; 05-09-18 at 03:02 AM.

Thanks

I have been using Macrium Reflect Free to image and clone my new computer with windows 10 and it is great and there is a free version

As for mail I hate the windows 10 mail program and am using Outlook 2003 (very similar to Live Mail) and it is working fine, It stores all emails etc in a *.pst file I think u will find windows Live Mail wont run on windows 10
    Last edited by RedXT; 05-09-18 at 08:45 AM.

Thanks

now that you have cloned the image over in the bios set the new boot order
    to first boot from the new drive

• The Following User Says Thank You to fandtm666 For This Useful Post:

tristen (05-09-18)

Banned
    Thanks

Thanks to H8FG4 - spotted that software on Youtube - looks the goods.

Fandtm666 - yep but for some reason the bios menus on this lappy are very basic and not as simple as I used to remember them - the boot menu is there but I cannot seem to change it yet can make changes if I wanted in other areas. I need to investigate further.

There might have been an issue in the Intell migration process and it has not actually copied the boot section over to the other drive with the other information. The reason I say this is when I go into the win 10 disk manager and look at the drives etc - it has describes the original drive as Healthy, Boot, etc etc etc but when you look at the cloned drive is says Healthy, etc etc etc - the Boot description is missing. I have formatted the new drive again so I will try Macrium Reflect Free this time to clone to see if there is a difference.

See next post on suggestions.

Banned
    Thanks

Ok was going to use the 500gb drive as the Windows and programs drive and use the 128gb drive as the file storage drive.

But do I really need to do this?

With the 128gb SSD be suitable to hold all my Windows files and other program files like Office, Firefox, Acrobat, ete etc etc with the 500SSD being the storage drive or should I do the opposite?

What do you think??

Thanks

Garry

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

im using 55gb out of a 250 ssd for windows, programs, includes office, photoshop, illustrator etc etc
    the only bad i way i see yours is 512 ssd to do what? movies, pictures, maybe a overkill
    but anyway, as long as data is on 2nd drive, cheering
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

• The Following User Says Thank You to Philquad For This Useful Post:

garrycol (05-09-18)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

As a (slight) digression. Would it not be useful to use this chance to move away from the M$ way of e-mail all together and load something like Mozilla Thunderbird? I also have all me e-mail addresses set up as Imap so, they reside on the mail server until I delete them. Regardless of how many times I blow away my OS, I can still access my saved e-mails.
    Of course, you could also forget about windoze all together, but that is another matter entirely.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks

yea emails
    after yrs of denial i finally learnt to use outlook (office outlook not that crap ms mail)
    but a problem i find is ppl migrating from 2013 office to 2016 have to go from pst files to ost which is a no go or deffo pain in ass
    so thunderbirds a great idea, but even for you, you can still use windows live mail
    now its old, but program customers i set this up for
    as you can, import-export accounts, contacts, emails really easy, its just step up from outlook really

i even have the full setup pack as the 2mb version never works

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by h8fg4 View Post
    I have been using Macrium Reflect Free to image and clone my new computer with windows 10 and it is great and there is a free version
    That is a nice piece of software - copied everything across, told the computer to boot from the new drive and zip - major faults and no boot - it seems everything is cloned across bit not the boot commands - this shows up in the Win 10 disk manger where the old drive still has boot in its descriptor but the cloned drive does not.

So back to square one - I have tried this Macrium software, the Intell software for migrating disks and nothing works.

So I will us the 128g drive as the boot drive until it fills up then hopefully prices of M.2 drives will have come down and I will put a big one in. On my experiences based on migrating stuff from boot drives I guess it will have to be a clean install then.

Garry

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

I have used the procedure I outlined in my post #3 many, many times and have never had a failure.

Hirens Boot CD or USB - Simple.

The appropriate utility to format your SSD and to make it bootable.

Ghost to copy your old boot drive's contents to the new SSD, which becomes drive :C

Your 128 GB drive is more than adequate for running Windows. It's what I am doing.

Use the conventional HDD for data.

You can also install software on it, e.g. word processing, games and other programs.
    Last edited by tristen; 08-09-18 at 02:59 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

Hi Tristen - thanks for your comments - great minds think alike. I may or may not have copied the Windows Drive across the the new drive and booted from it but I just dont know if it was working as it should as i could not still make changes to the old boot drive to see if the new one was working - also said the old Crive was in use when booted from the new drive.

So after speaking to a friend I only have Win 10 on the boot Crive and where practical all other programs are bing installed on the big 500gb SSD Drive - even my desktop is stored there now. Also I left the copied Windows 10 and the boot information on D drive so that if ever there is a problem I can in theory boot and start Windows form with drive if the other fails. With programs now installed on D Drive and just windows and a couple of other things that have to go in the boot drive, I have only used 35gb of the 128 so more than enough space for future expansion of OS systems.

Having the D Drive as a big SSD with programs on it rather than the usual Windows drive allows fast transfer of data anyway.

Thanks to everyone - has been a real learning experience.

Garry

Edit - why have all my colon punctuation marks come up as grinning emogies? Not in the draft but replace the colon in saved changes.
    Last edited by garrycol; 08-09-18 at 04:55 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Edit - why have all my colon punctuation marks come up as grinning emogies? Not in the draft but replace the colon in saved changes.
    Because the shortcut to is : followed by the capital letter D (with no space)

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

garrycol (09-09-18)

Thanks

i have trouble with my colon too

just to further your experience, note that
    putting programs on say D drive doesnt often mean much bcoz if you reinstall windows, they wont work
    & they wont necessarily boot faster if you do this with a normal drive

personally i dont like to clone as the os is really only best after its 1st installed so if you use that clone, its often very outdated

• The Following User Says Thank You to Philquad For This Useful Post:

garrycol (09-09-18)