Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Police Vehicle Warning - Lights and 40kph limit

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by porkop View Post

Your comment is offensive with it's comparison!!!
    I totally agree. I've had a problem with a cop or two, even the odd argument on this board about the law with porkop, but that comment is out of line and IT IS offensive....
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (05-09-18),porkop (06-09-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

Dont even mention Porkop, ive met him, hes a fine bloke, dont compare him to a crooked cop.

Back on topic, i noticed here in VIC that the new laws are a bit of a issue on freeways.

Most cars low down, some due to the many lanes just keep flying, mix one with the other and some pretty close rear enders have unfolded in front of me.

Most times im slowing down as supposed to while my hearts in my throat while looking into the rear view mirror for the idiot not paying attention.......

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Godzilla For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (06-09-18),porkop (06-09-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
    Dont even mention Porkop, ive met him, hes a fine bloke, dont compare him to a crooked cop.
    totally agree i have dealt with him for many years and is a top bloke.

I have had more dealings with police in my life time than a dozen normal humans would
    some for being bad others for being good and in all my years i have found they are like
    any other person some good some bad some fkwits but to bundle them all as bad is
    just being stupid.
    Last edited by fandtm666; 06-09-18 at 08:18 AM.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fandtm666 For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (06-09-18),lsemmens (06-09-18),porkop (06-09-18)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Some good points made in this article;
    Road Freight NSW, the state's peak industry organisation representing trucking operators, agrees that the new road rule should factor in the differences between light and heavy vehicles if it is to be "equitable".

"It would be a perverse outcome if a heavy vehicle was involved in an accident as a result of light vehicles slowing down quickly to 40km/h when the heavily vehicle cannot," said CEO Simon O'Hara.
    "Our members will adhere to all NSW laws, but would seek to ensure that these laws are equitably applied in circumstances where one size doesn't fit all."

similar in this one.
    "By suddenly reducing the speed limit on a major carriageway to 40km/h we are effectively swapping the safety of emergency workers for the safety of ordinary motorists," said Mr Pearce.

"Anyone who has driven on a high speed road knows the effect of braking suddenly from 110km/h to 40km/h.

"The resulting snaking of traffic can produce a trail of rear end collisions, and more often than not this is what happens."

Mr Pearce said that Motorcycle Council members have voiced their concern for the new rule "almost unanimously", as they consider motorcyclists to be "the most vulnerable of road users".

"The effect of a rear end collision on a motorcyclist will most likely be a serious injury or fatality. So we are very concerned about this," he said.

& here is the add so those of us that don't live in NSW can see it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

& last year in Victoria just 1 day after the rule was implemented.

It took just one day after Victoria's new 40km/h speed limit when passing emergency vehicles was introduced before a big truck slammed into the rear of a small sedan in Bacchus Marsh.

Events leading up to the frightening collision began when a police divvy-van stopped along the Melbourne-bound lane of the Western Highway near the Lerderderg River bridges to assist a broken down car about 7pm on Sunday.

Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

ammlione (06-09-18),ol' boy (06-09-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Id say most people dont even know about the new law in Victoria.
    Like most of these new or amended laws, how are we meant to know?

No ones reads the news paper anymore and most don't watch FTA TV
    Got me buggered how we are meant to know.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    Id say most people dont even know about the new law in Victoria.
    Like most of these new or amended laws, how are we meant to know?

yeah, totally agree, I don't read the papers or watch FTA TV, so have no idea of new or even old laws here.
    Unfortunately, ignorance of the law is not an acceptable excuse when caught breaking said unknown law.

The other day, the council painted a long yellow line about 6 inches out from the gutter opposite a park where we have lunch, I assume it means no parking there, but I see some people still do as there is no sign to support it. guess i'd better look up the local road rules & council parking rules. lol.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (06-09-18)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Austech... topics like this are quite often discussed even before they are implemented.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

ammlione (06-09-18),Godzilla (06-09-18),ol' boy (06-09-18),Tiny (06-09-18)

Administrator
    Thanks

As for the derogatory remarks against police, sure there are some arseholes in the job, even their own colleagues don't like some of them, but it's no different in that regard to any other workplace, club, family, etc.

Where it is different from most other jobs though, is that you go to work never knowing what to expect and there's a very real risk that you may never go home to your family again.

It's a really tough gig.

I too know several police members, most of whom are decent people, both in their work and in private.

And like most decent people, if you treat them with a little common courtesy and respect, they will return it.

Looking at the opinions and comments of some (Austech) members, if that's the way you interact with police, it's no wonder they aren't overly-friendly in return.

They are not machines, just people doing their job.

mtv = friend of the family

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (06-09-18),lsemmens (06-09-18),Tiny (06-09-18),tristen (07-09-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    The other day, the council painted a long yellow line about 6 inches out from the gutter opposite a park where we have lunch, I assume it means no parking there, but I see some people still do as there is no sign to support it. guess i'd better look up the local road rules & council parking rules. lol.
    We got the same thing around town a few years ago
    At first i had no idea what it meant, there was no supporting sign.

It seems the summer visitors really had no idea what it meant either, as they parked right along the yellow line

The whole reduced speed limit thing is everywhere now and used for many reasons, seems their goto solution for everything now!

Section of road with pot holes, instead of the council fixing them, just put up reduced speed signs for 10months until they get around to it (Ass covered)
    Road with high accident count, put up reduced speed signs (Ass covered) even though the locals don't seem to crash on it

Roads that were once 100kph, spend $10million on them improving the surface and making it safer, then make it an 80 zone??

Seems these days, its just easier to pop it in 3rd gear and idle with a can.... oh wait, you cant do that either.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 06-09-18 at 04:10 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

My question still not answered.
    I will put it differently.
    Is a cop car who stopped another vehicle because of an infringement considered as an emergency?
    They always leave their flashing lights on.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    Is a cop car who stopped another vehicle because of an infringement considered as an emergency?
    If he has his lights flashing then yes you must slow down BUT if he does not have the lights
    flashing then you keep driving as you normally would.

I see no issue with the slow down if lights are flashing, people have said on the high way its hard
    but in all honesty you can see a good distance away and see the lights so start slowing down before
    you are with in a few meters.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Flashing Lights from a Stationary Emergency Vehicle = Slow Down

Premium Member
    Thanks

OB, your original post highlights an officer not conducting their duties in the best interests of the public, and should rightly-so be scrutinised.

Quote Originally Posted by hinekadon View Post
    my mother told me to beware "once a cop always a bastard " give them a uniform and they turn into hitler
    hinekadon. That statement is really offensive and far from the truth.
    I don't like to make things personal, but when someone makes statements like that, they more than likely have had previous dealings with the police and are know to them.

Due to my line of work, I know many officers of various ranks from most states, and have nothing but praise and acknowledgement their chosen work is risky day to day, just like my own.
    Just remember, there are bad eggs everywhere in all types of work, sport, friends and family.

Common sense seemed to have been thrown out the door when this political correctness rose its ugly head.
    But, I would think slowing down for any emergency vehicle with flashing lights is common sense.

We do it for roadworks where most on-site work is predictable; why not for emergency services with flashing lights where most on-site work is very unpredictable.
    Last edited by Xplorer; 06-09-18 at 10:14 PM.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

• The Following User Says Thank You to Xplorer For This Useful Post:

tristen (07-09-18)

Administrator
    Thanks

Given the number of responses and reports of the offensive comment in this thread, an infraction has been issued to the member involved.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xplorer View Post
    We do it for roadworks where most on-site work is predictable
    Great point, in fact, we do it for road work in the middle of the night when there is no road workers at all

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (07-09-18)

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

Default there was no direct insult intended or any thing of such

Quote Originally Posted by Xplorer View Post
    OB, your original post highlights an officer not conducting their duties in the best interests of the public, and should rightly-so be scrutinised.

hinekadon. That statement is really offensive and far from the truth.
    I don't like to make things personal, but when someone makes statements like that, they more than likely have had previous dealings with the police and are know to them.

Due to my line of work, I know many officers of various ranks from most states, and have nothing but praise and acknowledgement their chosen work is risky day to day, just like my own.
    Just remember, there are bad eggs everywhere in all types of work, sport, friends and family.

Common sense seemed to have been thrown out the door when this political correctness rose its ugly head.
    But, I would think slowing down for any emergency vehicle with flashing lights is common sense.

We do it for roadworks where most on-site work is predictable; why not for emergency services with flashing lights where most on-site work is very unpredictable.
    the quote was a direct quote from a tv show that was called "on the busses " by the union delagate of the bus company my mother thought it to be funny and have never seem any body refer it to the killing of "millions " therefore i fell sorry if you took it to be so , but one cant take that to be a serious insult given the previous comments out lined in previous postings about corrupt actions of a few bad eggs regards don

Premium Member
    Thanks

Great point, in fact, we do it for road work in the middle of the night when there is no road workers at all
    Yes, it is frustrating slowing down for roadworks when no one is there, or having to slow down afterhours for roadworks on a side road with no one present.
    It sometimes feels like the workers leave their signs out to stuff around everyone.
    But then again, some roads in Vic are renowned to be far from ideal for highway speeds, causing wheel alignment and tyre replacement services to be a roaring trade.

Quote Originally Posted by hinekadon View Post
    the quote was a direct quote from a tv show that was called "on the busses " by the union delagate of the bus company my mother thought it to be funny and have never seem any body refer it to the killing of "millions " therefore i fell sorry if you took it to be so , but one cant take that to be a serious insult given the previous comments out lined in previous postings about corrupt actions of a few bad eggs regards don
    It's just the context it was put in. If you had mentioned "quoted from a film..." or something to that affect, it could have come across differently.

Yes, there are bad eggs everywhere, and it would be nice to weed the bad eggs out and stop giving the rest a bad name.
    Facebook and Youtube have plenty of car cam videos of brainless idiots driving on our roads.
    And most of the time, those brainless idiots are the ones walking away from scenes leaving innocent people to suffer for the rest of their lives.

Slowing down to the required speed when passing emergency vehicles is painful, yes, but it is necessary when considering the consequences of what could happen if you didn't.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

• The Following User Says Thank You to Xplorer For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (07-09-18)

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    Its more about creating a safer workplace for emergency workers.

I dont believe the law specifically stated "an emergency situation" but "emergency vehicle with lights activated" or similar wording.

Its can be deadly standing beside the window of a car talking to a person with trucks/cars/buses centimeters from you butt, flying by!!!!!

What if the person being spoken to arc's up and pushes the officer into the path of a car doing 100kmh? It happens!!!!!
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to porkop For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (08-09-18),lsemmens (07-09-18)

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

Default safer or not

i believe the question is !!!!! a cop giving a ticket being considered a emergency vehicle because the lights are ON there is no issue with the cops the ticket/ infringement but the consideration of the lights being left on , your employer is responsible to provide you with a safe work place !!! do you agree that having flashing lights provide you with a safe place of work? and changing the law improves the situation or not .quote :What if the person being spoken to arc's up and pushes the officer into the path of a car doing 100kmh? It happens!!!!! unquote recisely what this post is about is it not my humble opinion is that it wont make any ones work place safer by changing the law ,as fools will still do 100kmh and put you at risk therefore who is going to police this ????: the one who has writing a infringment notice or some one else , which places the cop in another position then you let first fool go and chase another for that infringement at perhaps a larger speed as he knows he got a head start and may get away . so does the change in the law a help or is it placeing more cops in a even more dangerous position ???? regards don
    Last edited by hinekadon; 07-09-18 at 11:03 AM. Reason: wrong

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

Don,

Fools will always be fools.

The majority of people will obey the law and slow to 40, and they do.

You are right, how do you police it, it is hard but not impossible.

Have you ever knocked on a door to inform a loved one of the death of their loved one at the hands of a fool?

I but you haven’t. I have. It is by far the worst thing that a police officer has to do.

Harder when you may know those involved.

80% of my work place is centremeters from traffic.

I expect to go home each night, and if it means that you may eventually receive an infringement for speeding past an emergency vehicle with lights flashing, good!
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

• The Following User Says Thank You to porkop For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (08-09-18)

• Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast