Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roundup - Where do we go from here?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Default Roundup - Where do we go from here?

Was going to make a post about this when the US findings and compensation were handed down a few weeks ago

Seems some Australian Departments and Councils are already banning the use of it.
    The active ingredient, Glyphosate, is in many other products promising similar results

Sold in nearly every town, from Farm Supplies to Bunnings to Hardware Stores and General Stores.
    I guess we still use MDF here and its banned in the USA.
    Probably many other products fall into the banned in the USA but ok in AU category

Do we have a Cigarette Campaign all over again?
    I guess it would have to be "tried" here and found to be a cause of cancer before anything happens.

Yet Councils like Warrnambool Council have already banned it use by its workers.

Bit of a catch up here:
    Last edited by ol' boy; 07-09-18 at 05:39 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

So what do they propose to use now as its been a very effective Blackberry Herbicide ?

We did use 2-5-T (mistake, 2,4,5,T) later used in Viet Nam as 'Agent Orange' but then they were literally pouring it out of the heavens like a Tropical rain.

I hope this isnt another case like banning the growth of the Indian Hemp plant that ropes, twine and jute was made from so they could introduce synthetics which are now a major a pollutant of the planet.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 07-09-18 at 06:45 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

I used Glyphosate every day for years. I ain't dead......yet! From what I remember, it only has a half life of a few hours, so It had best be quick!
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks

Can't see farmers going away from RoundUp. Nothing else in a broad scale weediced that works. While there is some weed residence to RoundUp, mixing it with other chemicals overcomes the problem most of the time. Surprised how some have honed in on RoundUp, substantially more harmful chemicals to humans widely used in agriculture. Case of wearing the appropriate personal protection equipment.

• The Following User Says Thank You to lineland For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (08-09-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lineland View Post
    Surprised how some have honed in on RoundUp, substantially more harmful chemicals to humans widely used in agriculture. Case of wearing the appropriate personal protection equipment.
    Exactly, both other Herbicides and Pesticides
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Premium Member
    Thanks

Supposedly, the plaintiff admitted to using it off label and over the recommended rate. Also admitted to not using proper safety when it came to herbicides.

One study out of over 800 said it MAY contribute to the cause of cancer. How many other products contribute to cancer? Last I checked, there is no ban on tobacco, coffee, diet drinks, etc.

The US has become a country that denies science when we do not want it to apply to our issues, and puts more faith in the possibility of something rather than the actuality of something.

There are far more dangerous chemicals that the agriculture industry uses on a daily basis that the mere contact of some will result in bad consequences. Anyone ever come in contact with one drop of Bifinthrin? How about Phostoxin? Or Vapam?

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

• The Following User Says Thank You to clbsquared For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (08-09-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by clbsquared View Post
    There are far more dangerous chemicals that the agriculture industry uses on a daily basis that the mere contact of some will result in bad consequences. Anyone ever come in contact with one drop of Bifinthrin? How about Phostoxin? Or Vapam?
    Hmmmm what about ALCOHOL.
    Look at some of the headlines on this URL
    carcinogenic&hl=en-AU&gl=AU&ceid=AU%3Aen
    Looks like alcohol should be banned!!!
    Last edited by lineland; 07-09-18 at 11:51 PM.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

I guess we still use MDF here and its banned in the USA.

Read that they are using resins as the bonding agent now, not bromide, may be proved to be wrong?
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    We did use 2-5-T (mistake, 2,4,5,T) later used in Viet Nam as 'Agent Orange' but then they were literally pouring it out of the heavens like a Tropical rain.
    2,4,5,T is commonly used in lawn herbicide to kill bindys.
    I think it was the 2,4,D that was the suspect chemical, and then mainly because of some association with dioxins.

Glyphosate is perfectly safe, and it's removal from use is going to cause some serious problems.
    Unfortunately it has been one of the pet hates of the looney left along with GMO's and smart meters etc.

Who makes a lot of glyphosate? Monsanto. And every time the conspiracy nutters hear that name, they lose their shit.
    It's crack pot thinking and I can't believe how many sensible people are so easily fooled into buying the bullshit.

And this shit is getting out of control and the level of stupidity is getting dangerous.
    The USA civil courts can get a group of 12 idiots into a court and call them a jury for a civil case.
    How hard is it to convince seven idiots of something they know nothing about?

Pretty fvcking easy. Just look at how many people think monsanto is the work of the devil.
    As a member of the satanic temple, I can assure you the big guy does not have any interest, shares or business dealings in herbicides.

Watch this space .... as the weeds creep in and take over like left wing politically correct cranks.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (09-09-18),Skepticist (08-09-18),Tiny (08-09-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post
    2,4,5,T is commonly used in lawn herbicide to kill bindys.
    I think it was the 2,4,D that was the suspect chemical, and then mainly because of some association with dioxins.

Who makes a lot of glyphosate? Monsanto.
    2,4,5,T and 2,4,D were the main ingredients in Agent Orange. 2,4,D is the herbicide used for killing weeds in grasses. At east here in the US it is.

And now the burden of Round-Up lies in the hands of Bayer after a $66 Billion acquisition less than a month ago.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Yep. I know they were the main ingredients in Agent Orange. That's the point. Did you know you've been spraying the same stuff on your lawns?
    Millions of people have without any issue. The 2,4,5,T was safe and the 2,4,D was suspect. It's not used in the domestic herbicide. Even though isn't used, it was not suspected to be the cause of the problems. There was a suspicion of dioxins being invovled. It's not that the use of Agent Orange was correlated with disease. It's just that people don't understand the bigger picture, and they are easily scared. In the case of Agent Orange, it's just easier to remember the name and associate with with cancer, even if the defoliants themselves were not the actual cause.

It still comes back to cranks. They've got a civil court win, and they got that by tricking seven idiots into making a ruling.
    The rest of the world will pay dearly for such colossal stupidity.

What is likely is that the ruling will be thrown out on appeal by a higher court and rightly so.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 813 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post

What is likely is that the ruling will be thrown out on appeal by a higher court and rightly so.
    Exactly......................and the lawyers will be further 'employed' appealing the appeal and everyone will be happy on the roundabout of 'justice'

Thanks

Ah! The "Me too!" movement.

Wind turbines are hurting me with infra sound.
    Planes are flying over my house and they are noisy.
    Smart meters are hurting me with wifi.
    Mobile phones are hurting me with brain cancer.
    Lawn herbicide is hurting me with Agent Orange.
    GMO's are hurting me by making my carrots orange.
    People's words hurting my feelings and causing my ears to bleed.
    Glysophate is hurting me because it kills weeds in the wheat fields.

The only thing that can cure all this damage and hurt is money.... gimme !

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (08-09-18),Mr 672A (03-06-19),Skepticist (08-09-18)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

When Roundup was first introduced onto the market, it was exorbitantly expensive, like $25 a litre at least and it only came in 20 litre drums which was more than the average homeowner needed for weed control.
    Plus it had a 'Shelf Life' from memory so you either used it or it went to waste.
    Then only those who needed it bought it and used it only where necessary, a Hip Pocket form of 'Self Regulation', maybe that approach could be considered IF the alleged problems with Glysophate are shown to be of concern.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 08-09-18 at 05:37 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,360 Times in 678 Posts

It's now well known, that it was Dioxins in in Agent Orange that caused horrific birth-defects in Vietnam. Apparently the dioxins were in the surfactants and dispersant used to maximise coverage on the jungle below. Even the Vietnamese agree that it wasn't the Glyphosate itself.

Glyphosate has been well studied now for years, and as far as I know, most studies have come back in favour of the product. Nobody has been able to prove it to be carcinogenic, and it seems to be pretty benign to animals, once it has been diluted. Of course the concentrate is pretty nasty if you get it on, or in you, but then most chemicals are.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,471 Times in 1,531 Posts

So what do they propose to use now as its been a very effective Blackberry Herbicide ?
    Use a goat, at least they dont poison the ground or atmosphere, and they make awesome pets

Premium Member
    Thanks

Brushoff

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

The idea of a goat has some merit, only if you don't want any other living, or, for that fact, any, thing within range of its teeth.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Use a goat, at least they dont poison the ground or atmosphere, and they make awesome pets
    i recall the first time i ate goat , it was a pet we had till it ate a $20 note
    the old man dropped and 30 odd yrs ago that was a lot of coin

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Australians have an obsession with poisons for some reason. A mouse in the house ? Dont worry about a trap, put poison bait everywhere so the mouse dies outside and gets eaten by another animal or bird......which also dies.
    MDF, Treated Pine, the yanks reckon its too dangerous but its ok for us.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (01-06-19)

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast