Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roundup - Where do we go from here?

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Appears the juries are finding against Monsanto, not that the product (Roundup etc) has been deemed or proved unsafe but reacting to Monsanto's tactics in trying to prevent any conclusions in proving it is unsafe, confused, lobbying government and the US EPA etc to prevent independent analytic conclusions. Similar tactics used in the past by the cigarette companies
    The EPA is currently under investigation for collusion with Monsanto (Bayer) for cancelling an independent inquiry
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Wether or not the stuff is bad, I think it's a laughable over reaction to go on like it's the only way to kill weeds effectively. There are heaps of other products and methods so if the stuff is around or not I don't think we are going to be over run with unwanted Vegetation.

Other thing that seems ironic is The Glyo is the base of most weedkillers. Why just ban Roundup if they are all using the same base chemical?
    There are products that work on different ingredients, I made something up myself copying what was on one product with salt as the main base.
    Made a Shipload of it very cheap and it was quite effective on mongeral Neighbours entire back lawn. I believe the compound is quite long lasting too which was reassuring.

As for what the US allows and does not, I think they are a poor example to look at. You can have all sorts of guns and weapons, the standards of what you can legally register and put on the road in vehicles is insane, and the list of things that other countries regulate but is available there freely is extensive. Just as extensive is the list of things they ban but everyone else has available as a matter of course.

I was talking on a DIY forum the other day with some other skips and telling some yanks about something we use for a job. They never heard of it and then when they made some enquiries, that alone was likely to put them on a watch list. Here you can get it at Bunnings and well stocked supermarkets.
    I have a friend in Cali that recently got rid of his gas BBQ because the police / fire brigade threatened him if they got another complaint from a neighbour they would fine him. He got an electric unit and they came back again pissed off but this time he was pissed and pushed back. They still werent happy about the " Emissions" the thing was making.
    In one part of the country you have rednecks trying to roll more coal in their Diesel utes than a steam train and in another part you have the authorities that have banned everything bar farting.... But they are working on it!

They are safety obsessed in the sUeSA but it's nothing to do with looking after people, it's all about protecting ones arse and trying to prevent morons that make their personal safety someone else's responsibility from doing idiotic things and then blaming someone else for it and making them pay for something a reasonable person couldn't even have dreamt up no matter how pissed of their face they were.

I'm surprised they haven't converted their power system to 12 or 24V already. Got to do everything they can to defeat the process of natural selection and preserve the idiots so they can go on to breed and make the world more FKed up trying to cater to their stupidity.

• The Following User Says Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

VroomVroom (03-06-19)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Australians have an obsession with poisons for some reason. A mouse in the house ? Dont worry about a trap, put poison bait everywhere so the mouse dies outside and gets eaten by another animal or bird......which also dies.
    MDF, Treated Pine, the yanks reckon its too dangerous but its ok for us.
    Admin has a very good point there.

There is no evidence that glyphosate causes cancer or not.
    AFAIK probably 1 Billion people could have used it at some time of their life but we have currently only 4 people claiming compensation that it caused their cancer.
    Hardly a ratio that scientifically suggests that is is cancerous.

We have had more than 4 people drown around the coast of our regional town just last holidays, so based on the logic used here I can safely 'scientifically' claim that water is more dangerous than Roundup.

I also expect that this will all go on until they have managed to successfully ban Roundup, partly because of Mosanto's shifty methods but also because it is so hard to prove that it is cancerous(lets ban it just in case) and mainly because it is now labeled the "next asbestos" in the media.

Back to Admin's point.
    - Australia might be the last country to actually ban it.
    - There is so much poisonous shit out there and obviously way worse than Roundup, why not try to use less of it.

As I said water kills too, it is all about how you use it.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 01-06-19 at 12:31 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

allover (02-06-19),alpha0ne (01-06-19),enf (01-06-19),hinekadon (01-06-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

They can ban Round-Up and and any other generic glyphosate if they choose to do so. With invasive weeds developing a tolerance to it on a yearly basis, it will become obsolete on its own. There are much more powerful herbicides on the market, and has been for decades. Monsanto’s claim to fame was genetically modifying certain agricultural row crops to be resistant to it. Farmers became reliant on it. When weeds started showing a tolerance they would apply more. It soon went from a 12 ounce per acre rate to an 18 ounce rate and then a 32 ounce rate. All the while killing off the week weeds and leaving the stronger ones to build up a resistance to it. Monsanto effectively shot themselves in the foot, and they knew it. Why else would the third largest agricultural seed and chemical company let their patent expire and be bought out by Bayer a couple of years later?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clbsquared For This Useful Post:

allover (02-06-19),enf (01-06-19)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Just remember that everyone who dies was breathing right up until the last, there must be some causal link...........
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member

Thanks

Interesting, The ABC had a post saying the VIC Govt was going to have the first inquiry in Australia into glypho, when i went to post the link it has dissappeared???

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Probably got sprayed with the stuff.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Watched the Movie last night and it was "DEEP WATER HORIZON" and in that movie the actors said, MONEY,MONEY >>>>MONEY yes Money, more money for the Lawyers. I have using Round UP and other Glyphosate stuff since I was 23 years old (first house) and because I hate weeds I use it continually around once ever month and it has not effect me, but at the same time I uses the correct amount not more. Everyone want Money.

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    put poison bait everywhere so the mouse dies outside and gets eaten by another animal or bird......which also dies.
    3 weeks ago My daughter got tipped off about dead birds so off we went only 5 k away from where we live where a new Shopping center is being built and there was dead birds dead possums dead animals everywhere. We counted over 12 Magpies + Crows+ anything that walked and flew. We rang the RSPCA, they rang the Police, and the investigation is still on going but not doubt it was poison used to clear the land and remove the rodents but the company doing the clearing didn't give a shit about the wildlife.

Thanks

I remember years ago following a story where they banned shooting somewhere locals had been hunting in since forever. Not sure if it was a national park but some Gubbermint land.
    Pretty soon the place was getting over run by deer, rabbits, foxes and pigs.
    Gubbermint department in their wisdom put down poisons that supposedly only the pest species would be interested in or get to. Of course a week later dead native animals are piling up everywhere.

Big out cry, this time well Look into it, Oh heres a great idea, why don't we allow Shooters in there because that's the only way of surgically removing the pest species without killing off the animals we want to protect.

Genius, Farken genius! That's why we pay these pencil Pushers the big bucks!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

allover (03-06-19),lsemmens (04-06-19)

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 672A View Post
    Watched the Movie last night and it was "DEEP WATER HORIZON" and in that movie the actors said, MONEY,MONEY >>>>MONEY yes Money, more money for the Lawyers. I have using Round UP and other Glyphosate stuff since I was 23 years old (first house) and because I hate weeds I use it continually around once ever month and it has not effect me, but at the same time I uses the correct amount not more. Everyone want Money.

I've go some bad news for you Mr 672A

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by allover View Post
    I've go some bad news for you Mr 672A
    ?

Premium Member

Thanks

No, just poking fun at you for the comment
    I use it continually around once ever month and it has not effect me,

Had an employee, he worked previously for the Moorabbin City council his job included spraying weeds etc, he joined me when i had a contract for a large industrial estate, when the contract expired he went to a council on the Mornington Peninsula doing blackberry eradication
    He was gung ho with Roundup and sprayed it liberally
    He was an avid cyclist and generally very fit
    He died at the age of 53 on the toilet at home, at his funeral which was attended by his friends and ex work colleagues, we all pondered the same question did his use of Roundup contribute to his death, there was no postmortem
    Maybe some people may be susceptible to it?

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by allover View Post
    He died at the age of 53 on the toilet
    There surely must be more to that.
    I know now that water can be more dangerous than Round up but that Toilets kill was new to me, unless they fall on you from a certain height.

Cancer causes symptoms before you die and a Doc would have diagnosed it.... unless he was paid out by Monsanto
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 04-06-19 at 11:51 AM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

Tiny (04-06-19)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    There surely must be more to that.
    I know now that water can be more dangerous than Round up but that Toilets kill was new to me, unless they fall on you from a certain height.

Cancer causes symptoms before you die and a Doc would have diagnosed it.... unless he was paid out by Monsanto
    Absolutely & you can confuse the hell out of some people (actually lots) when telling them how dangerous (DHMO) dihyrdrogen monoxide AKA hydroxylic acid is.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post

Cancer causes symptoms before you die and a Doc would have diagnosed it
    Might depend on what you have and how much you ignore it.

Good friend of mine got married and went on his honey moon to Ayers rock. Wife had been feeling a bit down but put it down to wedding stress. Got real sick 2 days later and went to the doc. She was in the very late stages of cancer. Brought her home, she passed away 5 Days after their wedding. Before that she was perfectly healthy. About 5 years later he was engaged to another woman and about 6 Months before the wedding found out she had terminal cancer. They went through with it and she died a couple of weeks after. Amazing how good she looked at the wedding, you would never know there was a thing wrong.

Lady next door fell down in the shower. Took her 3 days to crawl to the phone and ring for help ( she was a hermit, no one would see her for 6 months at times). I kicked the door down when the cops arrived and the ambos took her to hospital where she died a couple of days later. Her only injury from the fall was a broken leg. I was shocked when I found out as I was talking to her in the ambulance as she was freaking out and tried to keep her calm till the daughter arrived. I couldn't believe she died from a fall and she was not that injured.
    Son in law told me after they found she was riddled with cancer and the Docs couldn't understand how she wasn't in a lot of pain. Took them a day to work out she had it. If it wasn't for her falling and calling for help, she well could have died in that house with no one knowing for weeks or months and it never being diagnosed. She didn't look any different that last time I saw her to all the other times. Matter of fact I was surprised she was as good as she was for someone that hadn't eaten or drank for 3 days.

That said, Solicitor mate of mine who has done some real high profile cases always says he'd never take on anything medical because Medicos all stick together and will never go against one another. He says they will swear black is white and are worse than even Lawyers and he doesn't hold a high view of his profession.
    I have come across plenty of medicos I wouldn't rate any more Highly than a dodgy mechanic and would not be the slightest but surprised if they would cover up anything for the right price.

Really no different to a local guy I knew of that was world famous in the area. Man used to see about 100 Patients a day. All he wanted to know was what your excus...errr, ailment was and how many days you wanted off on the certificate. I went there for a real reason and then almost had to argue with him I did not need a certificate. Wasn't till I told him I'm the boss, I own the damn company he stopped asking and then thought he better take a second look at what i came there for. Still got it completely wrong as I found out later. Clearly didn't get too many genuine patients including me again.

Seemed everyone else in area knew about him bar me until then.

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12