Thread: Local community economic development

Thanks

Default Local community economic development

What find stunningly sad there is virtually no local economic development in towns in Australia. Appears Centrelink has killed off community initiatives and invention completely. Small towns <8,500 population unemployment generally is 15%, and nobody appears to care.
    Community cooperatives and community owned businesses using local resouces, local people and local investment are such a viable way of creating local employment and prosperity for communities. Doing research in Australia on community development found basically none. In the USA local community development plays such an important part of communities, and provides employment and prosperity. Local economic development in Australia is a trip down to Centrelink.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lineland For This Useful Post:

allover (07-09-18)

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

Truth be told, locals don't support their local communities even thought they 'talk the talk'.
    In the last year I've seen a couple of local businesses close down including two bowling alleys and the rollerskating rink.
    I would go rollerskating almost every friday and saturday night. But by the time the place closed down, I was often skating by myself or with one friend.

Though I suspect the government has things around the wrong way. I think the newstart allowance is about $150 per week.
    Most of the bums, drunks, junkies and bludgers are not making any effort to find work and it's unlikely they ever will even if it finds them first.
    They infest the capital cities like fleas on a dog. So why not encourage them to move out to the small rural areas where they can be useless and the money they waste cycled through the local economy and it's cheap to house them.

Towns like Walgett, Breewarina, Bourke could use some more cash economy income.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

gulliver (08-09-18),hinekadon (08-09-18)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,421 Times in 2,522 Posts

NO !!!
    We have already 22% youth unemployment here(contrary to the BS our Pollies report) and they are all over the place bashing ppl on our nice beaches and town, scaring away tourists(our only income).
    ...and they are NOT reffos or black !

What I don't understand that mid and north (eastern)NSW has the most rainfall, always green here yet the farmers are all out west where there is no water, whinging about drought.
    I can drive around for 50km or more in our ever green bush and not see a single cow.
    Pretty sure a lot of this fertile land is crownland, yeah would need clearing, the Greens, blah blah.
    But the tree fellers still manage to bypass that, so why not some gov/community program to use these unemployed to create much needed quality farmland and keep them out of the streets of our little towns.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 08-09-18 at 11:53 AM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (08-09-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 813 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    NO !!!

But the tree fellers still manage to bypass that, so why not some gov/community program to use these unemployed to create much needed quality farmland and keep them out of the streets of our little towns.
    Good luck trying to find enough unemployed ppl willing to do an honest days work for the pittance said gov/community program will be paying

Yes there are many unemployed who are willing to work but ANY program being run by the gubmint is sure to be a total waste of time/money

For any scheme/program to be successful it will have to be a viable business that pays the workers an honest wage, and at the end of the day become a going concern/profitable business, NOT one of those 'dont' actually work for the dole disasters that are nothing more than make work jokes

Thanks

Nomeat up to 35% in some towns. Think Moe in Victoria is up at that figure. Few others as well.

AlphaOne do you realise how much good Work For the Dole does for some peole? We have WFTD people where I volunteer weekly, and the parents have said what an amazing difference it has made to their children. Out of all the people we have had WFTD past two and half years, we only have had two duds. The older people also enjoy WFTD. Many have come back and volunteer even though they don't have to. Is all about how you treat people when the are on WFTD.

Exactly what I stated, community economic development is all about viable long term jobs, that will pay award wages and bring prosperity to the community. We have in our community the resources, the assets and the people, but nobody cares, everybody sits on their ass Our community organisations like Rotary, Freemasons, Lions, Chamber of Commerce , and we have probably Australia's worst mayor and council do close to bugger all in our community. Sadly so many communities in rural Australia are near identical to ours. Nobody does anything or cares. What is even more sad to some extent is how the youth in communities have been abondoned and not made inclusive in the community. So important to have a mix of all ages doing things in communities and been involved. They wonder why vandalism and youth crime is so high.
    Last edited by lineland; 08-09-18 at 06:47 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to lineland For This Useful Post:

enf (09-09-18)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,075 Times in 3,347 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post
    . So why not encourage them to move out to the small rural areas where they can be useless and the money they waste cycled through the local economy and it's cheap to house them.

Towns like Walgett, Breewarina, Bourke could use some more cash economy income.
    Yeah! Riiight! Small country towns already have enough trouble with kids wandering around doing nothing, breaking into houses and cars. Not to mention drugs and alcohol. How is sending a person on centrelink to these towns going to help? Those, who's "God Given Right" not to work, already are a problem in the cities, who, at least, have the resources to help those that want to be helped. My town is near a city (100ks), but only 800 people, and we already have enough trouble with drugs and crime. Our local copper is busy enough without adding to it.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks

In our town 5,000 we don't have issues with breaking into houses and cars, but graffiti and some low level vandalism is an issue in summer. Too cold to be out at night in winter. Don't know how big a problem drugs is, but do know alcohol is a big problem with 27.2% of population against, against NSW average of 16.7% Some that arrive in summer leave in winter as they cannot take the cold or afford to the buy the wood or pay for the electricity or gas. Some even come back in summer because the summer climate is so great. My wife and I volunteer weekly in two organisations that are in touch with these people, and we are surprised how transient some are. Interestingly they all know how to use the system well for support with free electricity vouchers, Telstra vouchers etc. Hardship electricity vouchers are up to $1,000 a year, and $300 max quarterly, and we have an excellent FoodBank. Unemployed on Centrelink if they have 2 or 3 children with rent assistance, and low rental payments in country areas can easily survive fairly well if they know how to budget, shop wisely and cook fresh.
    The latest 2018 statistics, for every 100 people we have of working age up to 65, only 25 out of a 100 are employed. Can well imagine unemployed people living in capital cities and renting would find it tough going on unemployment benifits as their sole income.
    "31.0 in 100 people had GOVERNMENT SUPPORT AS THEIR MAIN SOURCE OF Income for 13 months or more in 2013 and 2014 (NSW 20.4) I am positive now that figure would be higher as we no longer have the wind farm workers in town like we did at the time - Lots of government money going supporting people not contributing to the wealth and growth of Australia.
    People whose God given right it isn't too work gravitate towards country towns because they know they won't get a job and rents are cheaper and support services from charities are good to excellent. They buy their clothes at the Salvation Army or Opportunity Shop, and get damn good second hand clothes, as the clothes come in from Sydney.

We have a disproportionately higher rate of youth suicide which is alarming, and the overall health statistics and alcohol issues are fairly well above the NSW average. The trouble is our town has abondoned the youth and that is a big cause of the youth issues. Nobody does anything to create community and be inclusive to all ages. Majority of towns have things like table tennis or badminton which are still popular where they have them. They are good as they do bring people together of all ages. There is nothing for the youth to do on Friday or Saturdays at all. In summer our council swimming pool is too expensive for them to use.
    If we could harness the money that goes out from poker machines and gambling and put it towards something useful would be good. Our RSL Services club alone does $2.5M annually and along with other establishments would amount to a total of near $4M.