Thread: Record Collection

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Default Record Collection

I have to sell a large amount of records in about 3 weeks time that belonged to my father in law who is now deceased. I was wondering if anyone knew any record dealers that might be interested in purchasing them ?

I have contacted all dealers that buy collections that are listed on Google, but just thought I would mention it as you never know if someone knows someone etc etc.

I have advised the dealers that they can be inspected on the 6th and 7th of October between 9 and 5 and that whoever offers the best price come 5pm on Sunday will own them. The collection is in the Goldfields area of Country Victoria.

There are around 5500 LP's, I dunno how many 45's (thousands) and some 78's. Unfortunately father in law was anti technology (despite being an ex Telecom technician) and has no catalogue of what he has. I know he has one rare Beatles acetate as he showed it to me once, but I have no idea where it is, though I did find some correspondence between him and a Beatles expert. My FIL reckons it is worth a fortune, the expert not so much, but I do remember when he showed it to me a few years ago that I googled it and my opinion was it was worth around $1500. I am hoping its in one of the boxes.

I was thinking maybe I could sell 20 a week on Ebay so my mother in law had some extra income, but then realised I would be in my 70's by the time I got through the LP's alone. Pass.

Look Here ->

Thanks

Sounds like you're sitting on a gold mine. Basement Discs in Melbourne is pretty full-on when it comes to vinyl. Don't know if they buy or not but it might be worth a look...

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Prices will be determined by what a Buyer wants to pay for it.
    I have trolled through collections at 2nd Hand shops and while lots were in excellent condition (jackets) by artists of Note and Hits of the time, they are marked for sale between $1 to $5 each, some will even give you a discount if your buy several at the time.

I have an LP made by the late Muhammad Ali when he was still Cassius Clay............Interesting but not a big seller.
    I also have a comedy LP called the 'First Family' which was a send up of US President John F Kennedy and his Family made just before his assassination, I have NEVER played it since that Day in 1963...............
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PZ. View Post
    Sounds like you're sitting on a gold mine. Basement Discs in Melbourne is pretty full-on when it comes to vinyl. Don't know if they buy or not but it might be worth a look...
    Some money, but not a gold mine. They are only worth money if you are prepared to sell them individually (which would take the rest of my life.....which I wont do) See below :

They are a nightmare I will be glad to see the end of. Basement Discs only seem to sell new stuff I think ? They are all used, in varying conditions and varying genres which makes it hard. Most dont want 78's and many dont want 45's, so I am forcing a buy the lot method otherwise I would get stuck with too much.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

If that happened to me I would be going through them to pick the cherries.
    Like first pressings from Led Zeppelin with tourquoise lettering:

or this:

A first state cover (in mono) sold for $39,000 in 2006.
    Never trust an expert, do you own research
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

In the back of a 50 kW AM broadcast transmitter
    Thanks

I just tried to send you a PM but the system wouldn't allow me to do it.
    Can you PM me, or email me as I have an offer for you but need to discuss. Thanks!

Administrator
    Thanks

I cant take offers. I have advised all record sellers/buyers/collectors of where the collection is, when they can view it and that is locked in. Anyone that is interested would need to turn up, take a look , and put a price in of what they would pay.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

An ex workmate bought the entire record collection of Radio Station 2BS Bathurst when they converted from playing Records to CD's or Tapes whatever including the shelving.
    By now they should have a fine patina of Dust on them.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 835 Posts

Last edited by mkhannah; 13-09-18 at 04:50 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 835 Posts

The Beatles acetate would probably have increased sizeably in value by now, those sort of things are always in demand from big bands but anything Beatles increases at a much higher rate over time than others.

Plenty to read here if you haven't already

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

This might sound like a stupid idea. But do you think there might be a forum for vinyl collectors?
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

• The Following User Says Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (14-09-18)