Thread: Can't Encrypt TX Without Scrolling Wheel

Thanks

Default Can't Encrypt TX Without Scrolling Wheel

I have an odd issue (by design??) where whenever I go to transmit on one of my encrypted channels I get a "SEC TX ONLY" on the screen and low beep. If/when I rotate the extra dial/wheel up top and turn encrpytion on it is happy to continue. The issue with that is when I go to transmit on a clear channel it is still encrypted. This is fine whilst in an easy to reach location but if it's in the XTVA or in a harder to reach location that becomes an issue (my memory also makes it an issue .

Anyway is there an option somewhere that stops this behaviour? The 2500 doesn't do it and I'm sure this one never used to but despite how hard I've looked I can't find anything. Ive tried secure strap, select etc.

Look Here ->

Thanks
    Thanked 2,145 Times in 1,216 Posts

check your strapping options.

Thanks

These tabs? Hoping there's no issue with the links .... will add as links as well in-case.

Last edited by tsunami_australia; 14-09-18 at 08:51 AM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

You have it strapped to secure, which means “secure Tx only”.

Change it to “select” and you’ll be able to select encryption or clear using the knob.

Thanks

The point is that personality is supposed to be only secure. The 2500 is setup the same (first few personalities at least anyway) and doesn't have the same issue.

I setup on all my radios conventional personalities...
    1. normal everyday analogue with MDC signalling.
    2. normal everyday ASTRO with ASTROL signalling.
    3. encrypted only ASTRO for the few encrypted channels.

The idea being those channels using personality 3 are always encrypted so I can't forget and say something in the clear that shouldn't be heard by others (same for others with the key).

Why would the 5000 and 2500 act different in this regard when both are programmed the same? I used to have a "SEC" menu button for when in the XTVA but I can't find it any more either. I've no issues with toggling for open/select channels but fail to see why when strapped I should HAVE to toggle as well and it's bloody annoying. The strap itself should take care of it (well it does on the 2500). I'm sure before I changed from FPP to GRN compatible codeplugs I never had to do it back then (when I had FPP) on the same handheld.

EDIT: forgot to add personality 4 (read only mixed mode for my generic scanning rx only stuff like RFS/SES/AMBO etc).

Thanks

Read radio, goto: Radio Configuration > Secure > Secure Configuration > Advanced tab

Check "Ignore Sec/Clr Switch When Strapped" (last option on the page)

Write radio, job done!

Andrew

• The Following User Says Thank You to Bigfella237 For This Useful Post:

tsunami_australia (14-09-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks

What Andrew said. That setting forces the radio to the strapped selection.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MattSR For This Useful Post:

Bigfella237 (14-09-18),tsunami_australia (14-09-18)

Thanks

Thanks Andrew I had a feeling it was a tick box but was looking in the wrong area. That would be the one I'm looking for.

• The Following User Says Thank You to tsunami_australia For This Useful Post:

Bigfella237 (14-09-18)

Thanks

OK off topic now but for some radio, I see some use talkgroup scan of voice channels for GRN rx.

1. Is there anyway of allowing more than one TG at a time? (doubting it)

2. If I initiate a scan from say CB29 for travelling that includes them voice channels would each time it lands on them voice chanels still rx the most recent set TG from that zone/ch? So if the last for test purposes was ambo Newcastle (regular talkers better for testing) and I go to say Z11 which has only the few voice channels for Cabbage Tree and set AMB NEWC as the TG. When I go to CB29 which has a completely different personality and scan group and include the voice channels in that scan would it still allow me to rx KJ Newie if they talk and ignore other GRN users? Would it actually work at all? I know regular channels of P25 and analogue work fine doing this as I usually have the local RFS tower in the road scan group of 5/18/29/40/RFS/etc whatever.

3. If I'm listening for say KJ's TG and RMS or whoever starts talking on say ch1 (lowest frequency), would it ignore them being a TG mismatch? IIRC I set the SQL to AND which would make me think the tones/NACs *AND* talkgroup id would have to match or it ignores and continues on it's merry way?

Frankly I really only want the RFS for each area I travel through and have a 5/18/29/40/RFS/GRN scan setup but this is more of a test to see if it can be done for S&G's and perhaps use it if I ever need to roll back to FPP on the handheld. My car has the 996 in it so GRN testing on the XTL is more learning than anything and not necessary but if I'm travelling in another persons car the XTS5000 becomes a valuable resource and with the 2k mode mod could be given enough modes to make this sort of thing work nicely for me. I'm looking regularly to learn more about what I can do to suite me more.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,145 Times in 1,216 Posts

1 no
    2 first come first serve in scanning. priority would check for activity on a specific TG
    3 everything must match unless you set a parameter to allow non matching the and/or usuallyjsu sets conditions such as both need to be there or either just needs to be there

hope that helps

• The Following User Says Thank You to lynt123 For This Useful Post:

tsunami_australia (15-09-18)

Thanks

I realise 2 is first come first served it was more if the TG applied to Z11CH1 would be the same when scanning from Z1CH29 which has no TG being analogue.

As for 3 yes I realise all must match the question is more will it still linger on that channel because there is activity or just ignore and keep rolling around till it finds a matching signal?

Appreciate the help/ideas.