Thread: Sound proofing / insullation

Thanks

Default Sound proofing / insullation

Howdy all,

I have setup a woodworking workshop and i would like to lower the noise level a bit more, though i only run machinery during the day.
    I have installed heavy duty silver air bubble cell insulation, works ok in the summer but hopeless during the winter.

My question is can I install insulation bats between the bubble cell insulation
    With a limited air gap or if anyone can recommend a product that will do the job.

As for the sound proofing, so I cannot here the dog across the road day in day out.

hoping any suggestions,

DiyDad

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Sound proofing I gather is achieved by the density of the product used so those wool type bats would be worth considering.
    But that 'Air Bubble cell insulation' SOUNDS useless (pun intended) as sound would simply pass through the trapped air.
    From what I have seen on those US/Canadian home Reno shows is they use up to R35, not the piddling R3.5 we play with here and to achieve that, some is up to 300mm or 12 inches thick.
    There is the option of using a Spray on Foam which would be worth reading up on to see whats its best suited for.
    Try this, get a styrene container, turn on a portable radio and put the container over it and see how it absorbs sound from the radio at different Volume settings......
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

installing acoustic bats does a good job but its all dependent
    on their rating and installation without leaving any gaps even the
    smallest gap will make the install useless.

Bradford do make a very good one that is installed in commercial
    office buildings .

Last edited by fandtm666; 14-09-18 at 05:54 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to fandtm666 For This Useful Post:

Diydad (14-09-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Sound proofing I gather is achieved by the density of the product used so those wool type bats would be worth considering.
    But that 'Air Bubble cell insulation' SOUNDS useless (pun intended) as sound would simply pass through the trapped air.
    From what I have seen on those US/Canadian home Reno shows is they use up to R35, not the piddling R3.5 we play with here and to achieve that, some is up to 300mm or 12 inches thick.
    There is the option of using a Spray on Foam which would be worth reading up on to see whats its best suited for.
    Try this, get a styrene container, turn on a portable radio and put the container over it and see how it absorbs sound from the radio at different Volume settings......
    wow R35 they need it with all tho's snowfall / blizzards.

will give the styrene foam a go

thanks for the tip

Thanks

there is no way in the world i would put styrene in my walls or ceiling unless i was
    looking at a fire insurance claim and wanted to make sure there was nothing left

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fandtm666 View Post
    there is no way in the world i would put styrene in my walls or ceiling unless i was
    looking at a fire insurance claim and wanted to make sure there was nothing left
    well that's a thought

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

might give you some suggestions with sound proofing.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

Diydad (15-09-18)

Premium Member

Thanks

I looked at that spray foam many many years ago but was literally frightened off by the claims that in the event of a Fire, the product emmitted Cyrogenic fumes that were deadly !!!!

Just this week in Geelong Victoria, 2 Toddlers have died from Smoke inhalation believed caused by a Toy somehow 'Falling onto an Electric Heater' and the fumes given off by the toy caused their Deaths, I believe there was no actual fire, just fumes.
    The point is much of what is in the home will give off Fumes once heated or burnt and they dont have to be Toxic to kill, just remove the breathable air in the room and Your dead.....

Today a lot of products are treated to be 'Fire Resistant' and used in conjunction with Smoke Alarms, hopefully this will warn the residents to exit the area before it becomes dangerous.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 15-09-18 at 02:13 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

Diydad (15-09-18)

Thanks

I looked at that spray foam many many years ago but was literally frightened off by the claims that in the event of a Fire, the product emmitted Cyrogenic fumes that were deadly !!!!

Just this week in Geelong Victoria, 2 Toddlers have died from Smoke inhalation believed caused by a Toy somehow 'Falling onto an Electric Heater' and the fumes given off by the toy caused their Deaths, I believe there was no actual fire, just fumes.
    The point is much of what is in the home will give off Fumes once heated or burnt and they dont have to be Toxic to kill, just remove the breathable air in the room and Your dead.....

Today a lot of products are treated to be 'Fire Resistant' and used in conjunction with Smoke Alarms, hopefully this will warn the residents to exit the area before it becomes dangerous.
    i didn't here about that incident So sad, i'll stay clear from the foam i think

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

if you want to do it on the cheap the best way i have found is to use a sheet of thin ply 3-4mm and silver ali builders paper punched heaps of holes in it and used cable ties to make sandwich out of it . by standing on the ply and doing up the cable ties and compressing the bats then putting on wall paper side out .-----worked for me used on boats to cut out engine noise as well ??? cheers don

Premium Member

Thanks

I read the densest material (other than the Brain of a Politician) is LEAD..........Its only problem is that is is also the heaviest or near enough to it so using it as paneling would take some serious supportive structure.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hinekadon View Post
    if you want to do it on the cheap the best way i have found is to use a sheet of thin ply 3-4mm and silver ali builders paper punched heaps of holes in it and used cable ties to make sandwich out of it . by standing on the ply and doing up the cable ties and compressing the bats then putting on wall paper side out .-----worked for me used on boats to cut out engine noise as well ??? cheers don
    that's a great idea

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

i have also doubled it around engine bays on generators shuts them up well cheers don

Thanks

From what I have seen on those US/Canadian home Reno shows is they use up to R35, not the piddling R3.5 we play with here
    Note that "their" R system is not the same as ours ...
    Last edited by Guiseppe; 19-09-18 at 05:32 PM.
    If Australia is a democracy why, then, is voting compulsory?

"What has changed between the arrival of the First Fleet and today?"
    "Wearing leg irons is now not required."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Guiseppe For This Useful Post:

Diydad (03-10-18)