Thread: 21st Century Skills?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,964 Times in 9,060 Posts

Default 21st Century Skills?

WTF?

Australian students are set to be taught fashionable but contentious 21st-century skills, ranging from critical and creative thinking through to “mindfulness”, “gratitude” and “resilience”, with moves under way for a radical redesign of the national curriculum.
    What a bunch of bullsh*t, seriously. One smack from my old man, and I had "learned" these contentious skills....

Not paywalled atm, but you never know with these clowns
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

DB44 (15-09-18),eaglem (16-09-18),hinekadon (15-09-18),Keith (18-09-18),mkhannah (15-09-18),porkop (15-09-18),Thala Dan (15-09-18)

Look Here ->
    LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Paywalled here.....
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

We are truly fcuked! No doubt about that.

God I hate the left!
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to porkop For This Useful Post:

eaglem (16-09-18),VroomVroom (17-09-18)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    Paywalled here.....
    Here ......

Students set for shift to ‘radical’ 21st century curriculum
    ACARA’s former director of curriculum Fiona Mueller in Canberra yesterday. Picture: Kym Smith
    ACARA’s former director of curriculum Fiona Mueller in Canberra yesterday. Picture: Kym Smith

exclusive
    Rebecca Urban
    NATIONAL EDUCATION CORRESPONDENT
    @RurbsOz
    12:00AM September 15, 2018
    224 Comments

Australian students are set to be taught fashionable but contentious 21st-century skills, ranging from critical and creative thinking through to “mindfulness”, “gratitude” and “resilience”, with moves under way for a radical redesign of the national curriculum.

The Australian Curriculum Assessment and Reporting Authority has started a review of the curriculum that is understood to draw heavily on the recent Gonski review, an OECD future of education project and the work of a US-based “futurist” who has been contracted to help “modernise” the mathematics curriculum.

The push has attracted criticism from ACARA’s recently retired chairman, Steven Schwartz.
    Read Next

Trioli trauma over Joyce gaffe
    Paige Taylor

“The 21st-century skills movement is the latest in a long line of educational fads,” Professor Schwartz said.

“In each case, early enthusiasm gave way to disillusion. The problem is always the same: children cannot learn to be critical thinkers until they have actually learned something to think about.”

ACARA chief executive Robert Randall alluded to the review during a University of NSW lecture last month. He revealed the next iteration of the curriculum would be out within two years.

It is understood work is centred on two objectives: bringing 21st-century skills — referred to as general capabilities in the curriculum but also known as “soft skills” and “generic competencies” — to the fore of what is taught in classrooms; and incorporating equally contentious learning progressions that have been linked to a proposal to replace student achievement, including A-E grades, with “gain” as a measure of a student’s success.

Both were endorsed by businessman David Gonski in his #recent review into educational #excellence

Former ACARA director of curriculum Fiona Mueller, who resigned late last year after two years in the role, exposed the #review in a recent online opinion article. She lamented the “fixation on 21st-century competencies” and “lack of broadminded, transparent and objective leadership on the part of local decision makers”.

Approached by The Weekend Australian, Dr Mueller said she was concerned that work under way amounted to a redesign of the curriculum by stealth.

“You might call (it) a rather stealthy shift in approach, and the implications for students, teachers and other stakeholders are absolutely enormous,” she said.

“What they are talking about is actually another radical shift in teaching and learning.”

Despite ACARA’s frequent #assurances that any changes to the two-year-old curriculum would be “refinements”, it recently commissioned the US-based Centre for Curriculum Redesign, headed by self-#described education thought leader and futurist Charles Fadel, to work on a new maths curriculum.

It was referred to on ACARA’s website in July under the obscure heading “Australian Curriculum: Mathematics recognised as global leader”.

More detail was available on the CCR’s own website.

A July 24 media release reveals the project would lead to the #creation of a “world-class #mathematics #curriculum” that paid #explicit attention to “21st century competencies” that addressed the “learning needs of students for life and work in the 21st century”.

Mr Randall was quoted as saying that the project would be used to “inform any future refinement to the Australian curriculum in mathematics and to help guide improvement to ACARA’s overall curriculum design and development process”.

Hailed by many as a panacea to declining educational results — both locally and when compared with international counterparts — the general capabilities received a big tick in the Gonski report, which described them as “critical to equipping #students with the skills necessary to successfully live and work in a changing world and are increasingly sought after by employers”.

Positioned in the national curriculum with eight core learning areas, such as English, maths, science and history, there are seven general capabilities: literacy, numeracy, ICT capability, critical and creative thinking, personal and social capability, intercultural understanding and ethical understanding.

The degree to which teachers embed them in their subject teaching is not known.

Australian Catholic University research fellow Kevin Donnelly, a former secondary school principal who conducted the government’s 2014 review of the curriculum, said the push to elevate the role of skills and capabilities in education was a worldwide trend, driven by “globalist groupthink” about “changing times” and preparing students “for jobs that have not yet been created, for technologies that have not yet been invented, to solve problems that have not yet been anticipated”.

It is also a major theme of the OECD’s Education 2030 position paper, The Future of Education and Skills, in which ACARA was heavily involved. The report, #released this year, features a long list of “constructs” of competencies currently under review that could find their way into the curriculum, such as adaptability, compassion, equity, global mindset, gratitude, hope, integrity, motivation, justice, mindfulness, resilience, respect, purposefulness and trust.

“Such competencies represent a content-free approach to the curriculum that is guaranteed to further lower standards and ensure that Australian students continue to underperform and leave schools morally and culturally bereft,” Dr Donnelly said.

Centre for Independent Studies senior research fellow Jennifer Buckingham also questioned the push, describing it as “well-intentioned but misguided”.

“Of course it is important for young people to be able to collaborate, communicate and think critically and creatively, but there is absolutely nothing new about that,” Dr Buckingham said.

“What is new is the idea that these things can be taught by schools as a set of generic skills or capabilities disconnected from disciplinary knowledge. Good evidence suggest that this is a fool’s errand.”

A spokesman for ACARA confirmed that the organisation was engaged in work designed to inform the next generation of the national curriculum, but any #action would require the endorsement of all education ministers.

The spokesman said that the recommendation in the Gonski report relating to the development of learning progressions built on ACARA’s recent work in producing literacy and numeracy learning progressions, which “help teachers locate the literacy and numeracy development of their students and identify what development should follow”.

The spokesman said the CCR contract, to design a new maths curriculum, was worth $215,000.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

eaglem (16-09-18),lsemmens (16-09-18)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    WTF?

What a bunch of bullsh*t, seriously. One smack from my old man, and I had "learned" these contentious skills....

So you think you are a creative and mindful person and show gratitude because you got a flogging?

The only gratitude it gave me was when he stopped belting me.
    The only mindfulness was hate towards my father and the desire to do everything I was punished for behind his back even more, or I just gave up and fail with the things I was not good at doing like some school subjects and was also punished for.

In my 60 years of experience, being motivated to work and learn has always achieved better results than being forced to do such.

I certainly do NOT see a problem if "critical and creative thinking" coud be PART of a curriculum as these features are heavily lacking in today's 'Sheeple' mentality.
    The only thing that counts for schoolkids today is having the latest iPhone for their social media accounts. We are developing consumer idiots.
    Anything in the curriculum that would show them that there is more to life is an improvement.

However what I find strange is that you didn't point any of this out:

...find their way into the curriculum, such as adaptability, compassion, equity, global mindset, gratitude, hope, integrity, motivation, justice, mindfulness, resilience, respect, purposefulness and trust.
    Even I find a few questionable, especially "trust".
    "Trust no one" has become my mindset in order to protect myself and I would like my kids within reason to follow this. However if they learnt to be "critical" from the first curriculum quote above, that should cover it.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 15-09-18 at 01:11 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (16-09-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 813 Posts

Its as if they (the so called academic 'experts') consider the kids to be their own to mold to some extent, as if the parents have no input as to how their children are brought/dragged up which, due to both parents having to work in the slave pits to pay the rent/mortgage, kids are often left to their own devices with very little so called parenting

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alpha0ne For This Useful Post:

eaglem (16-09-18),hinekadon (15-09-18)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    So you think you are a creative and mindful person and show gratitude because you got a flogging?

The only mindfulness was hate towards my father and the desire to do everything I was punished for behind his back even more, or I just gave up and fail with the things I was not good at doing like some school subjects and was also punished for.

In my 60 years of experience, being motivated to work and learn has always achieved better results than being forced to do such.

I certainly do NOT see a problem if "critical and creative thinking" coud be PART of a curriculum as these features are heavily lacking in today's 'Sheeple' mentality.
    The only thing that counts for schoolkids today is having the latest iPhone for their social media accounts. We are developing consumer idiots.
    Anything in the curriculum that would show them that there is more to life is an improvement.

"Trust no one" has become my mindset in order to protect myself and I would like my kids within reason to follow this. However if they learnt to be "critical" from the first curriculum quote above, that should cover it.
    I dunno where to start with this nomeat. I really don't.

I never got belted, and never said I did. YOU may have and I feel sorry if you did, I really do.

But a firm backhander if I stepped out of line on "mindfullness" and "gratitude" from an adult (usually,my dad) was quick, gave me a message, and ensured that I grew up valuing the opinions and rights of other people. The old man and his mates crawled through shit in New Guinea to ensure I HAD a life that incorporates these simple values and had an education that at the very least ensured that I could add a couple of numbers together, and come up with a solution to most problems without mindless reliance on others.

As for our failures as a society, well, I always take my share of the blame for raising a generation of zombie like, selfish automatons. Nothing that I see in the modern curriculum prepares ANYONE for self reliance.

Oh, I still prefer to err on the side of trust. Just me I guess. I only get upset when people attack and criticise their benefactors. This is the reason I have a problem with the raging left wanting to import hoards of such people who use religion to whine, OR do far worse.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post

Nomeat,

I too had my fair share of "tough love" from the old man (another emotional casualty of WW2)........and I am grateful for the lessons learned, although the teaching method could have been significantly more compassionate

I passed on much the same messages to my own three offspring in, I hope, a slightly more civilized manner, and had the good fortune to have a better half who was able to reinforce the message with a somewhat softer touch.

All three siblings have had productive, interesting lives, enjoy long-term personal relationships, and are financially secure to the point where I may have to put the bite on them one day

Wish I could say the same for some of their kids, but that's another story.

Much as I agree with your point about the need to extend the concept of “education”, I have two problems with what enf has linked.

First, practically all of the elements proposed for the new curriculum are extremely subjective in nature.

These are deeply personal attributes, and how they are taught, and the benchmarks and priorities dictated by the curriculum, and taught by individual teachers, will almost certainly digress in varying degrees from the beliefs and attributes that parents would like to pass on to their children.

Seems to me that having to teach this sort of basic human behaviour and attitudes to our children is a case of treating the symptoms, and not the disease.

It indicates a desperate need for education at the parent level, not the school level.

In saying that, I acknowledge the difficulties of parenting these days, including the need for both parents to work and the prevalence and influence of social media.

Second, I started a thread back in August about the amount of time our children are already not at school…….I would be vehemently opposed to any further erosion of the time spent learning the three R’s at school, in favour of some subjective, ill-defined, touchy-feely stuff.

Further, and in the same vein of extending the nature of education, I feel the childrens time could be better spent learning about their system of government and how they can interact with and influence it, and the workings of the society into which they are about to be launched, with “financial literacy” at the top of the list.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

eaglem (16-09-18),enf (15-09-18),Uncle Fester (16-09-18)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

@TD,

Pretty good. Mostly concur, and have myself undertaken basic politeness education of my 6. ...

I would assume that nomeat has done the same.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

eaglem (16-09-18)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thala Dan View Post
    Nomeat,

I too had my fair share of "tough love" from the old man (another emotional casualty of WW2)........and I am grateful for the lessons learned, although the teaching method could have been significantly more compassionate

I passed on much the same messages to my own three offspring in, I hope, a slightly more civilized manner, and had the good fortune to have a better half who was able to reinforce the message with a somewhat softer touch.

All three siblings have had productive, interesting lives, enjoy long-term personal relationships, and are financially secure to the point where I may have to put the bite on them one day

Wish I could say the same for some of their kids, but that's another story.

Much as I agree with your point about the need to extend the concept of “education”, I have two problems with what enf has linked.

First, practically all of the elements proposed for the new curriculum are extremely subjective in nature.

These are deeply personal attributes, and how they are taught, and the benchmarks and priorities dictated by the curriculum, and taught by individual teachers, will almost certainly digress in varying degrees from the beliefs and attributes that parents would like to pass on to their children.

Seems to me that having to teach this sort of basic human behaviour and attitudes to our children is a case of treating the symptoms, and not the disease.

It indicates a desperate need for education at the parent level, not the school level.

In saying that, I acknowledge the difficulties of parenting these days, including the need for both parents to work and the prevalence and influence of social media.

Second, I started a thread back in August about the amount of time our children are already not at school…….I would be vehemently opposed to any further erosion of the time spent learning the three R’s at school, in favour of some subjective, ill-defined, touchy-feely stuff.

Further, and in the same vein of extending the nature of education, I feel the childrens time could be better spent learning about their system of government and how they can interact with and influence it, and the workings of the society into which they are about to be launched, with “financial literacy” at the top of the list.
    I mostly agree with what you say but we need to differentiate in a few important details.

In my first post there are two lists of attributes.
    The first is the one that Enf already finds shocking with his emotive response in the OP : critical and creative thinking through to “mindfulness”, “gratitude” and “resilience”.

I think this should be an integral part of the education system and from personal observation of the excellent public primary school my two youngest have experienced
    this is already practiced, although the "creative" part does not go far enough IMO. That is done at home, when possible.
    When I say creative, I also mean self sustainability. I am not talking about arts and music, I am talking about creative thinking that will lead to successful strategies and solutions.
    Figuring out what tomorrow's world will need and NOT the Oh so typical 'live for the moment' shyt!
    My oldest son is still at UNI (studying IT) but already trades speculative shares on the stock market while he still only uses my old Samsung Note 2.

Back to the curriculum, it needs to be organised so everybody can gain from this equally and not at discretion of individual teachers.
    Some teachers are great and some are a disaster as I noticed at my oldest son's high school although this may be because of funding cuts leading to too many substitute/part time teachers.
    The curriculum must outline these features and how they are taught so EVERY teacher can do this correctly while allowing transparency for parents, which is very simple:
    Just ask your kids what they are doing at school.

The second list raises a few red flags for me too.
    This goes too deep into personality moulding.

You bring your kids to school, their minds will be moulded.
    This has ALWAYS been the case.
    If you don't want that then you will have to do home schooling, where I am not sure about the legality if you live within reasonable distance from a school.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

eaglem (16-09-18)

LSemmens
    Thanks

SOME of the subjects currently taught are questionable. I cannot recall ever using any of my Asian History in my work life at all. Critical Thinking and Reasoning could be more useful than learning about Global Warming. I am helping home school my 11YO grandson at the moment, and, yes there is a public school nearby, so it is allowed. I've always been able to "reason" out a problem. If I can see a logical end, then I can usually find a way there. One thing I NEVER could get my head around, even though it does have some uses, is Calculus because there is no "logical" process. . If kids today can be encouraged to think for themselves rather than whatever social media tells them, they might just survive the next generation.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 813 Posts

If kids today can be encouraged to think for themselves rather than whatever social media tells them, they might just survive the next generation.
    Its up to the parents to restrict usage of social media

My oldest grandchild @ 14 has a phone, laptop etc but those sites are blocked on all of his devices and his internet usage is restricted to study and general interests/hobbies and he is the most mature and articulate boy one could ever meet

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alpha0ne For This Useful Post:

eaglem (19-09-18),enf (17-09-18),lsemmens (19-09-18)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

SOME of the subjects currently taught are questionable. I cannot recall ever using any of my Asian History in my work life at all. Critical Thinking and Reasoning could be more useful than learning about Global Warming. I am helping home school my 11YO grandson at the moment, and, yes there is a public school nearby, so it is allowed. I've always been able to "reason" out a problem. If I can see a logical end, then I can usually find a way there. One thing I NEVER could get my head around, even though it does have some uses, is Calculus because there is no "logical" process. . If kids today can be encouraged to think for themselves rather than whatever social media tells them, they might just survive the next generation.
    I've never in my life had a use for calculus. I matriculated (remember those?) with a distinction in Calculus, but like Latin, I have never had a practical use for it put before me. Now I fear it's gone!

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

eaglem (19-09-18)

LSemmens
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    ......... but like Latin, I have never had a practical use for it......
    So, by that, I take it that your are NOT a Catholic then.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

So, by that, I take it that your are NOT a Catholic then.
    I went to a Catholic private school and did Latin....

That school convinced me really early that religion was a bunch of bullshit. So, in that sense I became a confirmed atheist, so in a way it did me a favour.