Thread: fume extractor material

Thanks

Default fume extractor material

Wanting to make my own fume extractor for soldering.
    Anyone know what the foam filter material is specifically ? and where to get it in a size like 12" square ?

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Most use activated carbon.

Not sure where you'll get filters that large.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

loopyloo (17-09-18)

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

the lead content is the problem so you have to attack it from that point of view also known as a "scrubber" try an old evaporative air con but these are usually over size for the job but very effective cheers don

• The Following User Says Thank You to hinekadon For This Useful Post:

loopyloo (17-09-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hinekadon View Post
    the lead content is the problem so you have to attack it from that point of view also known as a "scrubber" try an old evaporative air con but these are usually over size for the job but very effective cheers don
    The lead is a problem but I'm more concerned about the rosin fumes. It irritates my chest and nasal sinuses a lot these days.

By "evaporative air con" do you mean those ones that drip water across a straw mat and blow air through it ?

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

Default yep

thats the one ? but i would like to pointout that the resin based flux is not that toxic mainly affects the membranes in the nasal passage but havent really taken much notice of it ?> normally a small computor fan blowing away from me solves it !!! welding galvanised materials is effectively made safe with a scrubber device , suck the fumes in thru the wetted surface and the toxins float on the surface of the water into the bath hope this helps Don

• The Following User Says Thank You to hinekadon For This Useful Post:

loopyloo (17-09-18)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I would strongly urge to consider wearing a face mask with suitable filters while your doing your soldering.
    Even with the best extractor ventilation going full blast, particulates from the soldering MUST pass your Nostrils before being extracted.
    My Daughters partner is an automotive spray painter who does all his work in a fully accredited booth with whacking great filters that must be changed regularly but at all times when he is working He wears an approved filtered face mask.
    Look at anybody involved in any operations where 'hazardous' conditions apply and they all wear some sort of nose/mouth covering, even in a pressurised HAZMAT suit.
    It may take some getting used to but with good simple ventilation and a suitable mask, a lot easier to set up and cheaper.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

loopyloo (18-09-18)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

Mask is pretty useless as fumes are still likely to pass between the edges of the mask and your face. Would need to be something that covers your whole head, not practical for something that is about as toxic as burning a candle.
    Electronic soldering can not be compared to spray painting.

Far more important is to make sure the fumes are directed away from your face in the first place.
    A proper desk fan would be better (computer fan is a bit small) + an open window.
    I always hold my breath then breath slowly out, while I solder, that also keeps my hands steady.
    We are not talking about all day industrial PCB soldering here but only for a few seconds at a time hobby soldering.

Maybe try soldering on the stove(place a board over it) under the range hood if you have a bigger job, or outside.

Lead is a different story. Always wash hands thoroughly after holding the solder, especially before handling food.
    Wear thin engineering gloves if you like, protects a little against minor burns too.
    However there is no lead in the fumes. It does not vaporise at normal soldering temperatures.

Leadfree solder is shyt and because it has a very agressive flux(and often more of it) to deal with it's poor flowing properties.
    I would only use that crap outside if I had to.

...and of course never use solder that is made in China.

I use Kester from the USA.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 17-09-18 at 11:34 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (18-09-18),loopyloo (18-09-18),tristen (18-09-18)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

The masks used that I was referring to is FACE FITTING, they CANNOT allow gaps around them to allow any fumes to bypass the mask otherwise they would be be useless.
    They conform to an ASA standard and the filters are designed and tested to resist whatever atmosphere your working in and providing the filter used is the correct one and changed as directed, be safer than 'Holding your Breath' and breathing IN when your finished while the fumes are still present in the room.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

loopyloo (18-09-18)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

Never had a mask that would fit perfectly on my face. I must have an odd face
    Tell tale signs are dust along the width of the seal.

As said the fumes are blown away and what is left dissipated in the room is far less toxic than the paraffin in a candle if you use a quality solder that just uses pine tree sap as rosin.
    What is hazardous is the dust when you inhale any smoke directly.

Lead free, I wouldnt take the chances with what ever chemicals they are using and I know it isn't tree rosin.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (18-09-18),loopyloo (18-09-18)

Thanks

It's prob the stupid lead free sh*t that causes most of my problems.
    When repairing any board except old ones you have to add more flux (and normal solder) to get it to melt.
    I've got a beaut little 2 speed personal fan around 8" that's not being used. I would rehouse it and hence why I want a larger piece of filter material.

Thought I was the only one who does the hold your breath thing.

• The Following User Says Thank You to loopyloo For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (19-09-18)