Thread: Which GPS for my phone?

Thanks

Default Which GPS for my phone?

G'day,

I'm new to smartphones and the thing I'm most interested in with smartphones is the GPS. I'm looking to download a GPS program for my nokia 6210 (which i'll be getting in a week or so) but totally unsure which compay is for me. So far i've heard of Garmin, Route 66 and TomTom.

Having never used a GPS before I'm unsure on which features are good etc (that's why I'm asking you) but I DO know that the program I want needs to have pedestrian + in car navigation.

So i'm asking for advice. Which program, in your expert opinions, is the best? Garmin, Route 66 or TomTom keeping in mind it must have pedestrian + in car navigation.

Also I'm unsure of how the pricing works. I understand if you do everything legit you have to buy the program, pay for maps and pay for spoken turn by turn directions plus data charges for assisted GPS. However, if I download a pirated version from here and download maps, the only thing I should be paying for is the data charge for assisted GPS, correct?

I really hope someone takes the time to help. I've tried googling stuff but it's all very confusing.

Thanks.

EDIT: I should aslo say that the program must work with an inbuilt GPS receiver.

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Tomtom is your best all round option , though iGo is also popular. I havent used Garmin and Route66 is pretty crap in my opinion.

Have a look at , if you cant find what you want do a Google for IPmart forums as you will find what you are looking for there with a bit of searching.

I am not familar with your phone , but I cant see why you would be paying anything at all. You need the software application , a map and it either uses an inbuilt GPS receiver or a bluetooth one.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Ok , a bit more reading later and I am not sure if it will work as it is a newer phone and there isnt a lot posted about it anywhere in regards to third party software.

I would suggest trying it and see what happens , nothing to lose if you are " trialling " it

Thanks

Garmin is good for the Nokias I don't think igo is available for the Nokia o/s as yet I hope it will be soon that would rock.

Thanks

Boiled Ice,
    I recently upgraded to the Nokia 6210 Navigator with the
    built in GPS
    Really cool phone with heaps of features. I especially like
    the 3.2 megapixel camera. (Unlike the I-phone)

There are 2 options for navigating.
    One is assisted navigation where you download the data and pay
    a fee (download via net)
    The other option is unassisted navigation.
    I got the 6 months free voice trial, so rang nokia and they advised
    me to ring Three and enable GPRS.
    I did so for 1 month only cos I don't really want to access the net
    from my phone cos it can be expensive.

Nokia then helped me to download the maps via my phone internet connection (took about 20 mins)

Booted it up and all worked ok, except the voice navigation wasn't there.
    As I didn't want to pay for internet costs, I had changed the setting of the phone to "never connect to internet" so I would only access unassisted navigation.
    After lots of playing around trying to get the voice going (and about 4 calls to Nokia) I decided to enable assisted navigation to experiment and see if it
    made any difference.
    Voila, the voices automatically downloaded (took about 15 seconds)
    I then went back into settings and clicked on never connect to internet under connections setting and all is now well.

It has taken a bit of time to work out how to use it cos I'm used to TomTom but maps seem to be very up to date.
    Nokia advised me that once the 3 month trial expired I would have to
    pay a licence fee of about $130 for 3 years. This also includes unlimited updates for new maps.
    Although I'm not used to paying for licences hehehe, I will trial it for the six months and may pay the fee cos it seems reasonable for 3 years.
    That is assuming the phone lasts 3 years and no-one cracks it for tomtom in the next 6 months
    Finally, haven't found speed and redlight cam poi's but that may be due to me not being able to find it.