Thread: Wound dressings needed

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default Wound dressings needed

Do any members know of any suppliers of Dressings at warehouse prices?
    Currently I have Cellulitis in both legs from the knee to the Toes, its worse on the left leg than the right which seems to be fairly normal.
    We have been treating this now for some time and going through dressings like they were going out of style.
    Some days I have to had to have the left leg dressing changed after 12 to 18 hours due to the fluid leaking.

I have been advised by the clinical Nurse at the Doctors that Female or Male Sanitary pads can be used as dressings.
    The 'usual' pads used for this type of dressing vary in cost from about $1.20 to about $1.50 each so when your using several at a time for both legs, its expensive so I am looking for any bulk suppliers of ANY sort of suitable dressings.

I have no illusions this is not going to be an ongoing problem so all I am looking to is bringing this condition to an acceptable manageable level.

So any Information of Suppliers would be greatly appreciated.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->

Thanks

Hi Gordon,

Sorry to hear....

My only suggestion would be check out this company.. I used to work for them and they sell dressings...( They supply to NSW Health.)

Officemax Ph 136 629,

I know my buy price on them was around 80C each depending on size...

I believe they have a retail website, however i would give them a call and see if you can get a price and place a order over the phone.. they will take CC... might be cheaper.. I'm not sure..

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,360 Times in 678 Posts

I use this mob occasionally.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

I feel for you, Gordon. Wife requires some expensive needles and other medical devices from time to time so, I understand your problem. A couple of suggestions, If you have an Aged Care Package, you may be able to get them as part of your package. The community nurses might also be able to assist, too. If you have a good relationship with your local hospital, the staff, there, may be able to assist, but that is a long shot.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member

Thanks

Thanks for the replies.
    Being 'Out of Town' limits some services and I have no idea where to contact the Community Nurse or whatever title is used here at the moment.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

LSemmens
    Thanks

Your local hospital should be able to advise on the community nurses. I can't recall how we initially got referred to them because it was so long ago. We live in a town of only 1,000 people so everyone knows everyone anyway.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

look around on ebay Gordon , we buy stuff for our first aid kit on there from time to time

• The Following User Says Thank You to VroomVroom For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (20-09-18)

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    Your local hospital should be able to advise on the community nurses. I can't recall how we initially got referred to them because it was so long ago. We live in a town of only 1,000 people so everyone knows everyone anyway.
    Try 200.................blink here and you've missed the place.

But I have just found one residents daughter is a qualified Home Care 'Nurse' or whatever their called so we will see her for some advise.

Thanks again everybody.

LSemmens
    Thanks

Where abouts are you, Gordon? When we first moved to South Aus we were looking at small country towns to settle and one had some appeal (it had a population of abut 200), however, the pub had closed down and the town was looking rather dilapidated. If the pub has shut......... Anyway, we moved to the Big Smoke of 800 people then, so our town is growing.

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    Where abouts are you, Gordon? When we first moved to South Aus we were looking at small country towns to settle and one had some appeal (it had a population of abut 200), however, the pub had closed down and the town was looking rather dilapidated. If the pub has shut......... Anyway, we moved to the Big Smoke of 800 people then, so our town is growing.
    I am in a small village of around 200 on the Main Western Railway line that STILL has a Pub some 15kms West of Lithgow, 900 metres above Sea Level.
    I am on the 'western slopes' of the Great Diving Range that means any rainfall here flows to the Murruybridge area of South Australia despite being only 160kms west of Sydney.

To the chase........

I have been advised by the Home Care Provider last night that any form of those Male or Female Sanitary products including Babies Nappies (Diapers) can be used and at a fraction of the cost of dedicated dressings.
    While I would NOT recommend them to be used on any surgical 'wounds' until it was well healed, for my use and similar, they are ideal and at a far less cost.
    Like a packet of 26 Huggies Nappies sells for $8, (33 cents each?) 26 medical dressings at a $1.10 each = $28.60 !!!
    That's nearly a 4 to 1 price difference............
    This was at the Reject Shop, one of these bargain basement stores your sure to have in your town.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 21-09-18 at 11:49 AM.

LSemmens
    Thanks

It sounds like you have a solution, Gordon.