Thread: A city has banned cars

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Default A city has banned cars

Would it work here? I reckon it would in Adelaide and Darwin, not so sure about Brissy or Sydney, and don't know enough about the other capitals to comment.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Not exactly a new concept.

There's been a number of European cities/towns/villages where cars have been banned for years.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Of course it will work and Sydney will have no other choice. The most stupidest thing they ever did was destroy the monorail instead of expanding it and attempt to build a tram through the narrow overcrowed streets.
    Brisbane already has a fairly decent pedestrian zone and it is a much nicer little city than Sydney these days.
    I know Cologne has car free zones for many decades, I lived there.

Eventually whole CBDs will have to be private car free unless something changes in the way and mostly WHERE we work.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (20-09-18),mtv (20-09-18)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    The most stupidest thing they ever did was destroy the monorail instead of expanding it and attempt to build a tram through the narrow overcrowed streets.
    +1

I was a frequent user of the monorail.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Very likely those cities that have banned cars have provided either Mass Rapid Transport or large capacity parking areas within reasonable distances of their CBD's.
    Sydney is an arse of a place as its laid out like the spokes of a wheel with the Hub in the CBD.
    To go from any end of the suburbs into the CBD is straightforward but try going 'across' and its a total nightmare.
    When this current project is completed, (Parramatta to the Airport and South) is completed, should alleviate some problems.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

I loved Cologne. The combined tram-subway is a wheel with spokes and the major roads have concentric rings too. I think it was the Romans who originally designed this ring layout 2000 years ago with much foresight, although it may have also had strategic reasons for better protection in wars, at least the inner rings.

I lived 18km from the centre, so I just hopped onto the train to central station where I parked an old rusty push bike(with some hidden features) and never needed a car or other public transport for my daily go-arounds ...until work brought me away from that city.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 20-09-18 at 03:10 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

Ah the greentopian dream of a world without cars.

I will point out that the capital of Greentopia - Nimbin, still uses cars. To get from one end of this thriving metropolis to the other you have three choices.
    Walk, Drive or you can astral travel, but there is no guarentee of where or when you will get there. Actually, thinking about it, that pretty much applies to the other two as well.

Long distance travel to and from Nimbin can only be done by driving or busing. Tough the bus often feels like some form of astral travel. But that is just people mistaking it with nausea.

There is one city in the world that has pretty much banned cars and that has been the case for well over 30 years.
    Singapore.

Most people who live in Singapore either don't own a car or don't own one in Singapore.
    There are of course streets, and you see taxis, buses and occasionally trucks.

If you do see private cars, they're paying some serious money just to be on the island.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

• The Following User Says Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

enf (20-09-18)

Thanks

Pretty sure you will find cars in and around Nimbin, long afer they have been banned for the common folk in Sydney.
    Interesting about Sinagapore though.

BTW you must be confused that this would have anything to do with being green.

Thanks

Is this because of drink driving ?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post
    Ah the greentopian dream of a world without cars.

I will point out that the capital of Greentopia - Nimbin, still uses cars. To get from one end of this thriving metropolis to the other you have three choices.
    Walk, Drive or you can astral travel, but there is no guarentee of where or when you will get there. Actually, thinking about it, that pretty much applies to the other two as well.

Long distance travel to and from Nimbin can only be done by driving or busing. Tough the bus often feels like some form of astral travel. But that is just people mistaking it with nausea.

There is one city in the world that has pretty much banned cars and that has been the case for well over 30 years.
    Singapore.

Most people who live in Singapore either don't own a car or don't own one in Singapore.
    There are of course streets, and you see taxis, buses and occasionally trucks.

If you do see private cars, they're paying some serious money just to be on the island.
    seems like quite a few private cars in the pic.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

Default A city has banned cars

Quote Originally Posted by bob_m_54 View Post
    seems like quite a few private cars in the pic.
    Note under the picture - “TODAY file photo”
    Is that even a road in Singapore??

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I got the impression when we went to Nimbin eons ago it was the Tourists who were driving as most of the 'Locals' I saw gave me the impression of being on a 'Higher Plane' and had no need to travel as such.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

can do better than that - got a whole country

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peteramjet View Post
    Note under the picture - “TODAY file photo”
    Is that even a road in Singapore??
    Yeah, good point, I just took it at face value, and it looks like it probably is.
    This one is though, TPE Singapore.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

Private car ownership in Singapore is just nasty expensive.

It's not that there aren't any cars, it's just not worth it to own one there.
    It's the reason why most Singaporeans who do own a car register it in Malaysia and keep it in the car parks are Jahor Baru.
    Even if you live in Malaysia and drive into Singapore, the fee was about $38 per day and that doesn't include tolls.
    Singapore has tolls on it's streets which are time based on traffic congestion.
    Imagine having to pay a toll of $3 for driving down Spencer St or Pitt street at 3pm.

Of course I could have used a different example of a country with no cars, like Tadjikistan. But that is a little unfair because they haven't officially invented the wheel yet.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

Thanks

Yeah, i was reading a few articles on Singapore traffic etc, and yes, it sounds really prohibitive, unless you are rich. Something funny that struck me, the first time I was there back in the early 80's, was commercial vehicles like deliver vans etc, that had an orange light on the roof, which flashed when you drove above the max speed for the vehicle classification. We used to get a lift in this bloke's van (about 8 of us just piled in the back), and he was forever swearing at in Chinese, with the buzzer going off as well.

Thanks

Pretty sure if you break things down to running costs, insurances, rego, stamp duty, excise, road tolls, etc, here in AU I am sure it is just as expensive after 10 years.
    And if you want something exotic like an electric car you would probably have to add 30% import/luxury tax.

In the not so distant future for Sydney: Toll for driving in the CBD!
    Who wants to bet against me?
    Just think about the insane costs for the few kilometer of the West Comex highway, their tunnel projects, the blow out of the George Street tram...blah, blah.
    How do you think they are going to get all this back when ppl avoid the toll roads because their wages/cost-of-living-ratio sucks?
    From parking fees? Sorry there is just no where near enough parking space available, well maybe if you charge $200 an hour, could happen too.
    Otherwise they will just have to Toll everything.

That is how you are going to get the mainstream traffic out of the cities.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (24-09-18)