Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "FREE" No Call Register offer.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default "FREE" No Call Register offer.

If you have had this 'Offer' before you will know what I am talking about but this was the first time for me of this particular Scam.
    Late yesterday afternoon I had a call by as usual heavily accented Asian Male caller offering to enroll me in a 'Free, Don't Call Me Register' and he went on extolling the virtues of being on this Register, much of which because of his accent and almost 'no taking a breath' delivery was hard to understand.
    I think it would also block International callers as well as locals.
    He must have rambled on for a good minute at least before I interjected (because I had Visitors) I told him that I was already on a 'No Call Register' which obviously didnt work because he managed to call me.
    Also I told him there was no such thing as 'Free' and it was going to 'cost me something' to enroll and there was no way I was giving out my details and I then launched into my Tirade of Abuse calling some choice names and said he was a Low Life Mongrel Criminal and how could he live with himself by trying to cheat people etc, etc, etc.

I could hear him trying to talk over me but once I get started, I am louder than a Bull Elephant and he eventually hung up.........

My guess is to be enrolled on this so called 'Don't Call Me Register' would involve giving them lots of my details to enable them to be used for Identity Theft, that aint gunna happen.......

I am curious if any other Members have received this call yet or is new?
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 21-09-18 at 12:09 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

eaglem (23-09-18),OSIRUS (22-09-18)

Look Here ->
    Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,062 Times in 9,090 Posts

Did your phone display the number he used???
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

eaglem (23-09-18)

Premium Member

Thanks

I dont have Caller ID on the landline.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Banned
    Thanks

You should have just hung up - now you are going to get heaps of follow up calls because you ranted on like a "bull elephant".

Premium Member

Thanks

It depends on my mood at the time but I have to say I have had ONE Cold Caller call me back numerous times over a 24 hour period trying to abuse me so what I did was record a message on the answer machine saying that due to receiving harassing calls, all incoming calls were being monitored and would be disconnected if the Caller didnt identify themselves.
    I am guessing these people are being paid to make as many calls a day as possible and whoever runs the centre wouldnt like them wasting time or call costs arguing with a 'client'.
    Letting them ramble on with their spiel means that they cant Con someone else for awhile so I try to string out the call as long as possible.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,041 Times in 317 Posts

I'm not like your average person. I can listen to a phone ring without being impelled to answer it. All my calls, unless its a number I know, will go to messagebank. If they want to talk, they leave a message and ill ring back. Now with getting the NBN on shortly and our current provider contract running until next year, I don't think I'll keep the phone on after the contract finishes. Anyway, I can't remember the last time some scammer rang me.
    You can learn alot using Google, and the search button.....

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keith For This Useful Post:

allover (21-09-18),VroomVroom (24-09-18)

Premium Member

Thanks

Unfortunately the telephone was an integral part of my job and it had to be answered so its hard to break the habit of a lifetime.
    I have had no 'Cold Calls' on the mobiles as yet but no doubt one day they too will be used by 'Cold callers' touting their wares.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

Any Do Not Call register is only as good as the laws in the country the caller is from. IOW Bloody useless! If you don't want these stupid calls, don't have a phone. Therein lies the problem if you need a phone, you'll get them. Caller ID is useful in that you can, at least, filter out some of the dross. I love wasting their time, too.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

My new home phone can block any number or number prefix or Private or Overseas calls, once you get a call & add it to the call block register in the phone it doesn't even ring, & wont go to answering machine, so they can't leave a message either, pure bliss.
    Or you can go to the many reverse lookup sites or scam caller sites like & look at the list of menacing scam numbers & add them before they even call. Too easy.
    It does show that a call blocked number has rung in the caller ID list, so I know if I want, how many times I have been saved from hearing them ring & interrupting my time.
    Of course, for it to work, you do need caller ID enabled on your line at $6 a month from Telstra. Well worth it.
    No more repetitive calls from call centres for Microsoft & Telstra scams, or anyone else I don't want to talk to.
    It's a Uniden XDECT-8355 with Call Block Pro.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks

went to NBN and didn't get a land line deal as we never really used it.

Telstra was mean to cut us off 2 weeks ago and we still haven't so that seems a bit painful as well

Premium Member
    Thanks

I get a lot of calls on my mobile even from overseas.
    I use HIYA program and any calls suspect get blocked or I put the on the blocked list.
    Works for me.

• The Following User Says Thank You to gulliver For This Useful Post:

VroomVroom (24-09-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 958 Posts

I had one call last week .... said she was from Microsoft and my computer details had been hacked

I immediately hung up ....

she immediately rang back and said .... "why did you hang up your computer details are at risk .... I said you are a scammer don't call me again and hung up again

she immediately rang back and said again .... "why did you hang up your computer details are at risk ...." I said what details of my computer do they have ? .... she said your computer number is 000148 (or something like that).... " I cut her off I said your an idiot .... she continued to tell me "no, why would I call you if I had your details and could hack you" .... I just continued to call her an idiot .... or a Total idiot until she stopped and hung up ....

sheezs they are getting persistent now ..... (sounded like a Philippine accented person to me)
    Last edited by OSIRUS; 22-09-18 at 04:54 PM.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

I moved in here a year ago with a new number and already get Multiple OS scammer calls a week. My phone will say overseas number and when I answer for fun, I ask where are they calling from and they always say Sydney or Australia. Then I insult them and their parentage with every filthy word I can lay my tongue to for being low life scum.

The mongeral bastards at telstra wanted me top pay per month NOT to list my number when they put it on. I asked how can they charge for NOT performing a service? They were going to get back to me but clearly the pricks just listed it anyway.
    They are complacent to all these scam calls by selling the information. If I had the time and Money I'd get a class action going against them. Pretty sure charging to NOT do something that takes time and effort on their part to do it would be a breach of consumer law. But, they are huge so fk the law, lets just abuse our customers knowing we can get away with it.

Unfortunately the bastards have a monopoly in this area so not much else can be done. They put my brother in law through 3 Months of hell last year with their incompetency. His business had no phone and internet for 3 Months and he spent multiple hours on the phone to them every day. One useless moron duck shover after another taking him round in circles. Cost him a load of money, time and the frustration on he and his wife was clearly visable as well.
    They should be flogged for what they put people through and the dodgy practices.

I'm going to get a car horn with a battery back and put it by my phone for these scamming pricks. Had a gut full of them.
    I don't carry the phone outside because the thing always falls out my pocket or I have filthy hands when it rings so by the time I clean them, thing stops anyway. If the mrs wants me, she knows to ring then ring again and ring a 3rd time If I don't answer. Other than that I'll let it go.
    These scammers seem to know when I'm expecting a call though and when I keep the phone and some rag with me and answer it, it's one of those low Lifes.

One of them got a Close up of the angle grinder the other day firing up. Bet that sounded good in their headsets.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

gulliver (24-09-18),hinekadon (23-09-18)

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

I like the Indians so after I hear they are that part of the Earth I string them along to a Point (when they need Card Numbers) I say to HIM (only Men) "Are you a Sister ####.ER" " "I was told by one of your friends that you Fu.ck your sister so if this true you must be a sister Fu.cker."

We both have a Slanging fight over the phone only because I wasted 12 minutes of his time.

I hate the arse -oles

• The Following User Says Thank You to Mr 672A For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (24-09-18)

Premium Member

Thanks

People think that being unlisted means they wont get called but unless that number is totally outside the usual run, which it isnt, You can be called.
    I dont think these call centres actually dial but the operator just presses a button and the devise dials the next number in its program.
    I have no problem knowing its a scam when they say their from Telstra reporting an Internet problem because I am on the NBN satellite and Telstra has nothing to do with that.

But like Mr 672A, I too like to go along with their spiel and then let loose a tirade of expletives when I have had enough.

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (23-09-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

for the mobiles , that Hiya app is the best thing since sliced bread , i love it.

dont even answer the home phone any more , that will go once the No Bloody Network rolls in

• The Following User Says Thank You to VroomVroom For This Useful Post:

gulliver (24-09-18)

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

dont be too hard on the cold callers this is my greatest source of entertainment cant wait for the next one !!!Where in this modern pc society can you abuse the shit out of someone and not get into trouble for it and you can be racist and foul mouthed and they come back for more "great"bring it on I say Hooray !!!!!!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hinekadon For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (24-09-18),gulliver (24-09-18)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,062 Times in 9,090 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hinekadon View Post
    dont be too hard on the cold callers this is my greatest source of entertainment cant wait for the next one !!!Where in this modern pc society can you abuse the shit out of someone and not get into trouble for it and you can be racist and foul mouthed and they come back for more "great"bring it on I say Hooray !!!!!!
    Naaah...got over that years ago. I regard them as a disease.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

eaglem (24-09-18),george65 (24-09-18)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

As soon as they start their spiel I just say Damn not another Indian Call Centre and they hang up immediately.
    The Eagle Flies High!

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

Default disease

yep just like a pussy pimple but you have to give it a squeeze lol

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast