Thread: Copper Network Life.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default Copper Network Life.

Reading the comments about the NBN I was getting concerned on how it will affect the landline phones for those like me who are in areas that will NEVER see the NBN to their homes.
    Mobile (Cell) phones are not reliable in all of the Village hence we still have a Public Phone.
    I am thinking of those whose Internet is being supplied by either Satellite or Wireless.
    Using the telephone via Wireless I gather is more reliable than via Satellite (VoiP) is so we are being left using our existing copper lines that were supposedly knacked long ago and were the reason for the conversion to Fibre to the Home (FTTH) but later because of Political stupidity, watered down to FTTN(Node) or FTTC (Kerb).
    I then realised that this will still leave thousands of Kilometres of Copper in use through out the Country and will require people to maintain it so 'we' should have no worries (we hope) just yet!!!
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    this will still leave thousands of Kilometres of Copper in use through out the Country and will require people to maintain it so 'we' should have no worries (we hope) just yet!!!
    Not sure what is going on with the old copper network.

We had NBN connected 30 months (2.5 years) ago. At the time, we were told very clearly and unambiguously that we had 18 months to change to NBN Fibre to the premises and then the copper network would be decommissioned. No ifs, buts or maybes and definitely no time extensions.

Two weeks ago, we had an NBN crew spend two days working on the old copper cable riser / junction box on our side boundary. It was leaning to one side and in a very sad and unloved state, but now sits proudly on a new concrete mount and looks pristine. There is no fibre infrastructure passing through it at all - I know the locations of the fibre multiports and I have seen inside the riser for the copper cable. It definitely has no fibre in it.

There is a large public utility site across the road from us. Maybe they have some legacy system that absolutely must have copper, but this riser is about 20m from the road - up our neighbours' private driveway and was built about 30 years after the industrial site was constructed across the road. It's really strange.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Thats exactly what I would have expected to hear as they are NOT running Fibre to the Customer now except in certain cases.
    Remember it was either Tony Abbott or Malcolm Fraser who said that fibre would only be connected to high capacity Commercial users or they had the option to pay for it to be installed if they didnt think the alternative (FTTN) was sufficient to meet their needs.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Don't worry Gordon, I'm in a similar situation, with regards to home phone. I spoke to a local Telstra tech who said the only problem with the copper network is it is not fast enough in long distances for super fast broadband speeds.
    It is still, in the remaining smaller sections that the NBN doesn't cover, viable to continue as is for home phone use.

I will not see NBN here any way other than thru the SkyMuster satellite system I have now, or it's successor, as there is just not enough people in my valley to justify the upgrade, even though we have fibre to two nodes in the valley, the distance from them is too large for the copper tail network to the home to work for the NBN & too expensive per customer to upgrade.

We will not, for the same reasons of population density, get a mobile tower to give us mobile reception or wireless broadband.
    If I had mobile reception here I would dump my home phone tomorrow.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    Not sure what is going on with the old copper network.

Two weeks ago, we had an NBN crew spend two days working on the old copper cable riser / junction box on our side boundary. It was leaning to one side and in a very sad and unloved state, but now sits proudly on a new concrete mount and looks pristine. There is no fibre infrastructure passing through it at all - I know the locations of the fibre multiports and I have seen inside the riser for the copper cable. It definitely has no fibre in it.
    It sounds like you have FTTN. There is NEVER fibre in the copper piller (what you refer to as a riser). It has a copper tail to a nearby metal cabinet that houses the NBN FTTN gear. It is this NBN cabinet that has the fibre connection. All connections to subscriber premises is done in the copper piller, where the telco installer inserts a jumper from the NBN tail to the subscriber cable. The telcos never get anywhere near the NBN gear.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jgm View Post
    It sounds like you have FTTN. There is NEVER fibre in the copper piller (what you refer to as a riser). It has a copper tail to a nearby metal cabinet that houses the NBN FTTN gear.
    No, there is no fibre in the pillar. We are definitely on fibre to the premises. Our old, disconnected copper pair goes to the pillar that the NBN crew were working on. We had a new trench dug and fibre brought in to a new box on the outside of the house, as did all our neighbours.

That’s why I’m surprised that they are spending any time or money on maintaining the copper cable in the subdivision. Nobody should be using it any more.