Thread: No More Birthday Emails

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Default No More Birthday Emails

As of today we will no longer be sending out Birthday Emails to members.

Due to the large amount of accounts accumulated over the last 10 years, we have many accounts with dead email addresses which bounce back. On some days we are now getting large bounce amounts which are triggering complaints via spam services such as Spamhaus and if we don't disable them, well, no one will host us as we will have continued black banned IP addresses. I am acting on an official complaint from our host. Unlike most complaints, this isn't a malicious one from an individual.

Its a pity as the reply email to these emails is mine, and at least a dozen times a week a member will reply saying thanks very much and even that it made their day. Occasionally I will reply personally and say have a great day or similar.

Cheers
    Admin

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

It's a shame, as a birthday email often prompts members who've been absent for a while, to log onto Austech again.

Providing the database still has birthday info available, I'll continue to post daily birthday greetings on the forum.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

admin (25-09-18)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Thanks, MTV. I only ever respond to your birthday posts if I remember the name of the member having a birthday.

As for membership, Admin, can we, possibly do a progressive purge where, if a member has not logged in for, say 15 years, they get an e-mail to the effect that failure to respond will result in being de-listed. Then some time later send one to those who haven't logged in for 10, followed by 7, then 5. From then on, a automatic one at the 5 year mark becoming normal. Should reduce the number of dead accounts and also the bounced messages in the event of a need to produce a genuine e-mail.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (25-09-18),peteramjet (25-09-18)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

VBulletin doesnt provide options on this, we cant allow Birthday Greetings to certain groups only, its everyone or no one.

I dont really want to go around deleting peoples accounts because A. They may decide they want to use them in the future and B. Deleting accounts messes up posts the users has made leaving threads, at times, in decipherable. For reason B alone, we have in our rules that we dont delete accounts and we own your account. We are however happy to delete accounts on request as long as they have zero posts attached to them.

There is no winning as the amount of people who put 1 Jan by default to try and stay anonymous is enough to trip every spam warning system in the world Some older member may remember the 1st Jan Birthday lists that took up half the forum.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Ca we not purge just the e-mail addresses from these accounts only, and leave the account active? What effect does Banning a user have?
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• 17-08-23, 03:03 AM