Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tesla - Elon Musk stands down

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Free Power
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (15-10-18)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    I've also used it for my own sneaky camping needs :-)
    Yessss... finally something interesting.
    Where did you get the port?
    How do you enable/activate it, obviously it needs some feedback from the battery ?
    What voltage or is it just plain mains AC ?
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (15-10-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks

240v 3 phase has been supplied to the isolation switch.

240v Single Phase from the female outlet
    Last edited by ol' boy; 15-10-18 at 01:27 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

Free Power
    Didn't see that when I posted last msg.

Lemme guess:
    top 240 AC
    middle (small) closed circuit detects battery connected and enables the 240V
    bottom earth
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

hinekadon (15-10-18)

Thanks

Found it
    So it is required to have a resistor from pin 4 (control pilot) to ground(PE) 880Ω or 246Ω(ventilated charging) to get anything out of L1 N.

OB did you really know that or was that a fib about using it for your camping equipment?

Ouch the socket is a bit pricey:
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 15-10-18 at 05:13 PM.

hinekadon (16-10-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

$150 for a power socket , good to see the EV tax is alive and well!!

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    Found it
    So it is required to have a resistor from pin 4 (control pilot) to ground(PE) 880Ω or 246Ω(ventilated charging) to get anything out of L1 N.

OB did you really know that or was that a fib about using it for your camping equipment?
    I mentioned it on here 2 years ago mate
    Also, its not like this is anything new, i can just drive another 80meters and there is Free Caravan Power Heads with standard AC sockets, power all year round, open to the public, no boom gates, no site office

You can also get those sockets a lot cheaper, china is your friend

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

china is your friend
    There is a certain irony in that statement!! :0)

I found an EV charging site listing places where one could charge up. Tesla places certainly seem to Dominate. One cannot argue they haven't put their ground work in there and it's a smart business model. The destination chargers are also a keen idea but it does raise future questions. No doubt other companies will follow suite when the EV sales kick in so will you choose where you go based on what charging facilities they have or will places try to have them all. I can see manufacturers trying to lock in other businesses to exclusivity to their band only. Potentially another future product will be charging converters where you can plug your Mercedes into a Tesla charger that tricks the charger into giving your vehicle power.

One thing I also noted on the charging point site was a lot of sites marked where there were just normal power outlets such as in car parks and at the back of businesses stc.
    Seems the EV crowd have a margin of entitlement where they think it's OK to basically steal power. I know that will upset some of the proponents but that is what it is. They don't put these outlets in carparks and behind Businesses for the purpose of charging EV's and someone has to pay for that power. If some business gets hit regularly for 10s of KW of power, that's going to add up to a significant operating expense.
    I can see this becoming a problem and a new kind of theft that will cost businesses a lot of money if they are not careful in the future.

The free charging for now seems like a great drawcard but I wonder how long it's going to last? If thre are cars plugges into these thing sucking significant power, it won't be long before the potential costs and profits are realised and all the free sites dissappear replaced with pay stations.
    One company, charge point, already seems to have got in on the new Business model. Makes a big thing about a FREE charging or account card but like programs on the internet where the download was free but you had to pay to use the product, their card is free but the power is not. That's fine, nothing wrong with that in itself but when there is no price for what you are charged and they say every outlet is privately owned/ runand charged at different rates, then one would want to be wary of what they are going to get hit for. At least fuel stations have to show their prices so I imagine this will be something brought in the future for power suppliers.

I can slso see charging stations doing a servo tactic and positioning themselves in strategic locations. Come holiday time when business is flat out, might cost $1 Kwh to charge up.

Much as things change, they will still stay the same. :0)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by george65 View Post

The free charging for now seems like a great drawcard but I wonder how long it's going to last?
    Oh, so you are saying there is free charging now
    You should read you're own comments

No one is in dispute of how uneconomical the current system is, but that is an entirely different question.
    We already have unmetered street lighting, unmetered free electric BBQ's, and so on.

Yet, the technology is there for Charge Back selling
    IE: The car knows where it is via GPS, your charging phone app then bills you from the council that supplied the energy to reimburse itself
    Now, being a Power Reseller, that is a whole other issue that would have to see some rules changed.

And BTW, you can get into an Electric Vehicle for much cheaper than you have quoted, well, maybe not a Tesla, but an EV none the less

Try 14K

Want something a bit bigger, try $27K

Want a Tesla, the cheap ones have been bought now, they were down around $50K, i see the cheapest now is $88k
    Last edited by ol' boy; 16-10-18 at 11:17 AM.

Thanks

Oh, so you are saying there is free charging now
    You should read you're own comments
    You should read what I wrote. I never said there wasn't free charging, I suggested that not all charging was free. Big difference.

As for the $14K electric..... Whatever, it's no good as a golf Cart, Maybe a goKart?, I'll pass thanks. I, and I doubt many others would have no idea as to the condition of the battery pack and if replacement was needed, which from everything I have read is more than likley at the vehicles age, IF one can be aquired and the cost in total to replace it.
    I suspect it would double the price of the vehicle and the range reduction which again from what I read tends to be irrelevant to mileage, is the reason the thing is being sold.

Of course the other thing is, I would have no use for such a vehicle and it would be completely unfit for my needs. May suit someone closer to the city but I'd really like to to know hat the battery pack condition was before I bought the thing. Other than an extended test drive, not sure how one would be able to tell or who could find out.

As to the other one, $26K for a small run around? No thanks. I'll go with a regular vehicle at this time. I can buy a brand new one that will probably be cheaper to insure, infinitely easier to get parts for or be repaired when someone else runs up my arse, and have a much better resale value than that thing will in 5 years time.
    as 80% of our power is still fossil fuel generated and they are trying to put the brakes on Domestic solar now anyway, the savings to the environment in the real works are negligible anyway. Like the $14K car, it's likley it will have a shorter service life to the cradle to grave environmental cost I highly suspect is worse than an IC.
    For the moment I am very happy with my 3 Ton Diesel 4WD I run on veg oil for nothing.

What I have been looking at is building an electric 4WD Tractor. That would suit me well. Thing is the components to make one are still so far away from the prices I bought the near new 30 Hp Diesel I got for $200 the other week which I can run on free veg oil and the price I can get used gearbox and running gear from wreckers, that's not a viable option either.

Maybe one day I can electrify the Ride on mower?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

I can see another debacle on the horizon......

The government needs to legislate that all electric vehicles have a standardised charging system. One size fits all.....

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    I can see another debacle on the horizon......

The government needs to legislate that all electric vehicles have a standardised charging system. One size fits all.....
    I was thinking of the same thing.
    It would in fact more likely to be all gubbermints and the industry given every electric will be sold in multiple countries and markets.

I wonder about the viability of that? Is it like saying all wheels and headlights have to fit every car or is it more like saying they have to run on petrol or Diesel?

Now as much as any time I mention tesla I am assumed to be knocking them...

Tesla has jumped in early and put a LOT of money into it's superchargers to give them an edge on the competition. If I were them, I'm not sure I would want to give that up and have them available for every vehicle out there. Sure they could charge Revenue but I think keeping them to themselves would in cfact be the smarter move.
    To me it would seem like they have stations everywhere which would buy an incentive to buy that brand where as if they shared, it could well be a case of You can buy a cheaper/ different brand and use all the tesla chargers around.

By the same token, just like service stations now, I can't see it being practical to have a bunch of different chargers.
    From what I have read, a group of other makers ( barring Tesla) have got together to try and sort out a charging standard. It may well be if everyone BUT tesla can charge at a " standard" charge point except tesla whom can only charge at their own point or a standard slow outlet, that the charging advantage might be turned around.

The difficulty may be in different companies wanting different battery technology's, voltages etc and reaching some standard they are all happy with. Ideally they would want something more or less straight in rather than having to build an elaborate charge converter into the vehicle itself.

I'm just waiting to see some enterprising and crafty Dude put a stack of forklift batteries in the back of their ute, charge them up at work or some free charging station and then drive home and run the house and maybe charge the house hold batteries off the free charged ones. Now won't that cause a Conundrum with the whole free charging thing? :0)

" But I am just charging my car battery up! It has a 3000KM range which is why I have them all for long trips but for some reason, the batteries go flat every night even though I always plug them in at home too! "

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12