Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proof 5G is no better than fiber forever

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,871 Times in 886 Posts

Default Proof 5G is no better than fiber forever

The 5G weak link is it has to be connected to fibre to connect to the rest of the world or even Australia hence it can never
    be better than fibre never better than it's weak link. 5G is bullshit

2. The Following User Says Thank You to pheggie For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (30-09-18)

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Is 5G better than 4G?
    How else would you connect to the rest of the world if you don't use fibre?

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,871 Times in 886 Posts

Telstra have decided to sack sacking their highly trained competent experienced fiber installer staff NOT CONTRACTERS because they are replacing all fiber with 5G from now on. a relative just got sacked told to go to the NBN for work

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pheggie View Post
    Telstra have decided to sack sacking their highly trained competent experienced fiber installer staff NOT CONTRACTERS because they are replacing all fiber with 5G from now on. a relative just got sacked told to go to the NBN for work
    The two ‘fibres’ aren’t really the same. The fibre used by the NBN isn’t the same fibre that it used for backhaul to phone towers, including those that will operate 5G. Telstra still install fibre for their exclusive use for their mobile network, the general communication side (likely where your relative is from) is almost all NBN now, so Telstra don’t need those installers.

• The Following User Says Thank You to peteramjet For This Useful Post:

DB44 (01-10-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pheggie View Post
    The 5G weak link is it has to be connected to fibre to connect to the rest of the world or even Australia hence it can never
    be better than fibre never better than it's weak link. 5G is bullshit
    I can be driving at 100kph and connected to 5G, can't do that with Fibre
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

DB44 (01-10-18),enf (03-10-18),pheggie (02-10-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    I can be driving at 100kph and connected to 5G, can't do that with Fibre
    yeh well that is a point lol

• The Following User Says Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

DB44 (01-10-18)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Getting confused here somewhat.
    Fibre to me is the 'generic' name to the MATERIAL made of GLASS (Optic Firbe) and used as a medium to carry a light beam along its length and that Light Beam has a high capacity in both Volume and Speed.
    Other than that, copper is the material used as the Conductor and it has nowhere the ability of the (Optical) Fibre.

5G is to me a form of transmission like SSB and FM etc using Radio Waves and is subject to the vagaries of normal reception and obviously can be quite varied depending on your location at the time unlike 'Fibre' which because of its physical structure, remains constant from one point to another.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (01-10-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

The point is a highly theoretical one irrelevant to everyday experience and likely to remain that way, as neither the NBN nor any other provider I know of in the world is offering consumers anywhere near the speed fibre is capable of. It seems to be very clear that 5G devices will be capable of offering end users much higher speeds than the 100Mbps which is rarely available on the NBN anyway. It will be interesting to see just what speeds Telco's will offer. I expect they will be faster then 100Mbps, quite possibly many times faster.
    Last edited by DB44; 01-10-18 at 01:14 PM.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Getting confused here somewhat.
    Fibre to me is the 'generic' name to the MATERIAL made of GLASS (Optic Firbe) and used as a medium to carry a light beam along its length and that Light Beam has a high capacity in both Volume and Speed.
    Other than that, copper is the material used as the Conductor and it has nowhere the ability of the (Optical) Fibre.

5G is to me a form of transmission like SSB and FM etc using Radio Waves and is subject to the vagaries of normal reception and obviously can be quite varied depending on your location at the time unlike 'Fibre' which because of its physical structure, remains constant from one point to another.
    Absolute correct.
    You are the only one who is NOT confused.

5G is just another band for transmitting radio waves. The new bit is that their frequency will be extremly high although not as high as light which fiber is capable of transmitting. Some lower frequencies might als be included but then in 4G speed.

What everybody just keeps ignoring are the laws of physics.
    5G is just a consequence of congestion on 4G and when everybody in your area wants to watch 4k telly on 5G that will eventually get congested too.

Direct Fibre connections will never have these problems as you have the entire(practically usable) electromagnetic spectrum all for yourself.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 01-10-18 at 02:14 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

gulliver (07-10-18),hinekadon (01-10-18),shred (02-10-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    Direct Fibre connections will never have these problems as you have the entire(practically usable) electromagnetic spectrum all for yourself.
    If Australia is a democracy why, then, is voting compulsory?

"What has changed between the arrival of the First Fleet and today?"
    "Wearing leg irons is now not required."

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Guiseppe For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (01-10-18),lsemmens (02-10-18),Uncle Fester (01-10-18)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Short answer: A good order of magnitude rule of thumb for the maximum possible bandwidth of an optical fibre channel is about 1 petabit per second per optical mode.
    I would be damn proud if the download of my entire brain one day on my FTTH would take a whole second

... but on 5G I simply could not afford it.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (01-10-18)

Thanks

There is a lot of marketing crap being peddled about 5G. The initial spectrum being used in Australia (3.6GHz band) will only provide a MARGINAL improvement over 4G. To achieve the hyped 3Gbps speeds, it needs to operate in spectrum above 6GHz. The expected spectrum to be used in Australia is the 26GHz band which won't even be auctioned until 2020 at the earliest. Wireless only achieves it's maximum speed by complex modulation techniques which need a great deal of processing power. As an example, 5G in spectrum under 6GHz only utilises 100MHz bandwidth. Compare this with a single mode fibre which currently have a bandwidth of >20GHz for 10Gbps transmission. Speeds in excess of 1Tbps in a single channel have been achieved in research. BTW, the only difference between the fibre used for NBN users and backhaul is in the number of fibres in the cable.

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

Default fancy figures

how does one go about generating one bite per second over a transmission line ????? any one ????? there has to be two conduits out and return whether it be light or or imposed on a rf frequency or wires ? so lets look at fibre turn the switch on and then off one bite in one second ok oh and we have to check that we made it to the other end so we send it back and confirm it get there but wait a minute we may have made a mistake so we better check that it was right when it got to the other end and send that back for checking too.??? I wonder where these so called gigabites per second are comming from ,and the guy with the switch must be getting a sore finger by now . I know we will bullshit the mugs and tell them we made it from a computer so they wont know that we are talking crap . clever eh by the way 5g stands for fifth generation of system nothing more than another system so how can these methods be compared to each other other than by crap on both parts generated in a virtual world that doesnt exist its all ones and zeros in a conduit

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

While VOLUME is being bandied about, I am more concerned or interested in COVERAGE as the higher the frequency's being used would mean smaller 'CELL's, ie more Towers will be needed which in most cases will only happen where population density warrants it.
    Its only recently 700MHZ was 'opened' up for 4G in more rural areas with a more scattered population.
    I have a Telstra 4G wireless modem which cant access the 700 MHZ band as it wasnt designed to receive it when it was sold.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hinekadon View Post
    how does one go about generating one bite per second over a transmission line ????? any one ????? there has to be two conduits out and return whether it be light or or imposed on a rf frequency or wires ? so lets look at fibre turn the switch on and then off one bite in one second ok oh and we have to check that we made it to the other end so we send it back and confirm it get there but wait a minute we may have made a mistake so we better check that it was right when it got to the other end and send that back for checking too.??? I wonder where these so called gigabites per second are comming from ,and the guy with the switch must be getting a sore finger by now . I know we will bullshit the mugs and tell them we made it from a computer so they wont know that we are talking crap . clever eh by the way 5g stands for fifth generation of system nothing more than another system so how can these methods be compared to each other other than by crap on both parts generated in a virtual world that doesnt exist its all ones and zeros in a conduit
    You have a basic lack of knowledge. Firstly, a BYTE is defined as 8 BITS of data. Your definition would require 8 flicks of a switch, but that can only transmit a bit if it is a one - so how do we get a zero? In reality, there is a relationship between a level & time to define the state. Now we don't only have 2 different states, we have a great many, and we encode multiple sequences into different states. We can define sequences of 1's & 0's to represent different characters (e.g. ASCII), and instead of sending a character as 8 separate bits, we can send it as one of 256 different frequencies. In practice, we tend to use Quadrature Amplitude Modulation, which cuases phase changes in the transmitted signal, and requires a lot of processing power to resolve. Whether you use fibre or radia, there is still a modulated signal on top of a carrier.

Now we come to the 2nd part of your issue. We don't have to acknowledge every byte, and in fact we don't even need to receive every byte correctly. Modern systems have forward error correction systems, where the reuired information is sent with extra rendundant data, so that the correct information can be recovered if their is corruption in the received data. There are also types of data that do not need to be have 100% received (video and voice for example). Data that does require reception to be acknowledged also does not that to be forneed every single byte. In practice, large amounts are sent, then a single SMALL return packet acknowledges that ALL of the previous transmission has been received. Often this is with sliding windows, where as the path degrades, the acknowledgement is sent more frequently & vice versa.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jgm For This Useful Post:

shred (02-10-18),tristen (02-10-18)

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

my dear jgm one paragraph and you have the audacity to say i have a lack of knowledge you have managed to generate two paragraph s of more of the same as you didnt read correctly, the point is its not correct to compare fibre and rf data transfers , perhaps you didnt stay in school for long enough to understand and comprehend the points made quite simple cheers

Thanks

You have demonstrated your lack of knowledge twice now, and further compounded it with appalling English and grammar. My professional qualifications and practical experience enable me to provide expert critique of the fallacies you are presenting as fact.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Knock off the insults.

Thanks

but one was based on fact

• The Following User Says Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (03-10-18)

Thanks

Will 5G phones have voice capability out of the box or will it be like the VoLTE shambles?
    If Australia is a democracy why, then, is voting compulsory?

"What has changed between the arrival of the First Fleet and today?"
    "Wearing leg irons is now not required."

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast