Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Proof 5G is no better than fiber forever

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Guiseppe View Post
    Will 5G phones have voice capability out of the box or will it be like the VoLTE shambles?
    You would think that this 'NEW' gold plated version would do that and copious amount more but because of the Manufactures unfettered haste to be first on the market, anything is possible.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

Guiseppe (04-10-18)

Thanks

It is probably worth holding off on 5G at least until the 26G or 28G band auction has taken place, as the real improvements over 4G don't occur in the 3.6G band (and that auction won't happen until November). The ACMA is still investigating Ka band frequencies for 5G, and although 26GHz appears to be the current favourite, there is no guarantee that it will win. Also, to attain the bandwidth gains, there needs to be massive increases in infrastructure, as Ka band signals are severely distance limited as compared to 3.6GHz. The standards for sub 6GHz are relatively stable and use the sam LTE architecture as 4G, although the 1st phase (release-15) won't be completed until March next year. There is still a lot of development going on for the higher frequency bands with IMT-2020 providing up to 20Mbps above 15GHz with the 3GPP group extends it to any group using New Radio.

If you are like me and like to hang on to your gear for a long time, it would seem to be prudent to wait until the standards crystallise.

• The Following User Says Thank You to jgm For This Useful Post:

Guiseppe (04-10-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jgm View Post
    If you are like me and like to hang on to your gear for a long time, it would seem to be prudent to wait until the standards crystallise.
    My Moto E 2nd gen has 4G capability but it does everything I want on a 3G SIM ...
    If Australia is a democracy why, then, is voting compulsory?

"What has changed between the arrival of the First Fleet and today?"
    "Wearing leg irons is now not required."

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12