Thread: 3900H on IS19....what gives?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

Default 3900H on IS19....what gives?

Anyone else having trouble with 3900H on IS19?

I have received it for a couple of years at an acceptable level, but some time back it started to misbehave…..finally I lost it completely, with the exception of the occasional short-lived flash of S&Q.

This arvo was the perfect wx for dish work, so I got up and played with the LNB (dual-output Satking), painfully adjusting it in both axes.

I also tilted the dish in Az and El by hand, just to make sure nothing had come adrift there.

Finally, I replaced the LNB with a new one of the same type.

In the absence of a squeak out of 3900H, I peaked everything up to 3940H, getting SS of 79-82 dBuV, and CN and MER of around 8dB or better.

At that setting I was still only able to get the occasional flash of green from 3900H, and very occasional pixellated video which immediately froze on the screen.

I notice that the FEC for 3900H is 2/3, as opposed to 7/8 for 3940H, and the C/N Lock figure for 3900H is 6.6, against a figure of 7.2 for 3940H on Lyngsat.

So all the numbers say it should be easier to receive…but it ain’t so….not here, anyway.

I notice that on the Satbeams footprints, my location, NE Vic, is right on the borderline between 2.3m and 2.7m dish (mine is a 2.3m mesh) for the Western Hemi beam……but then both 3900H and 3940H are on that beam.

Just wondering if the beam has drifted a bit, or if this particular transponder (WH10C) has been dropped in power.

Any other thoughts?

Look Here ->
    Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

try this damaged array??

Thanks

The new Horizones 3E launched to 169E the other day maybe some of the traffic will move.

• The Following User Says Thank You to apsattv For This Useful Post:

Thala Dan (03-10-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by apsattv View Post
    The new Horizones 3E launched to 169E the other day maybe some of the traffic will move.
    thanks, apsat.....will keep an eye out for that one.

But here's an interesting reprise of an earlier thread:

After getting zip all afternoon from 3900H, I turned on the gear just a few moments ago (1900hrs).....and guess what....

3900H.....70 dBuV....C/N 6.6 - 7.3.......MER 6.9 - 7.7.......perfect picture on all channels, 97/63.

Looks like there could be something in this day/night thing?

Haven't had a usable signal from 3900H for months now, day or night.

I put the presence of a night signal now down to the fact that in peaking the LNB to 3940H today, I made a noticeable change to the FD.....this did not produce a signal on 3900H all afternoon, but come dark....voila!

Wx conditions still the same....overcast, light scattered showers....not that this should really matter, but relevant in that conditions haven't changed other than disappearance of the sun.

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

you could look at sun outage where the signal from the sun is stronger than the satelitte . these outages are available on a prediction chart
    I get these all the time if the sun is direct over the center of the dish , some times its for a long time ,sometimes just over lunch . there is a difference between a prime focus and a eliptical dish for sun noise as well never noticed night/day change on ku but have on cband common in the days of afrts from guam feed

• The Following User Says Thank You to hinekadon For This Useful Post:

Thala Dan (07-10-18)

Thanks

on my 3.8 m 3900,3980,4012 were the same about 4 below 3940

• The Following User Says Thank You to wiilliiss For This Useful Post:

Thala Dan (07-10-18)

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thala Dan View Post
    thanks, apsat.....will keep an eye out for that one.

But here's an interesting reprise of an earlier thread:

After getting zip all afternoon from 3900H, I turned on the gear just a few moments ago (1900hrs).....and guess what....

3900H.....70 dBuV....C/N 6.6 - 7.3.......MER 6.9 - 7.7.......perfect picture on all channels, 97/63.

Looks like there could be something in this day/night thing?

Haven't had a usable signal from 3900H for months now, day or night.

I put the presence of a night signal now down to the fact that in peaking the LNB to 3940H today, I made a noticeable change to the FD.....this did not produce a signal on 3900H all afternoon, but come dark....voila!

Wx conditions still the same....overcast, light scattered showers....not that this should really matter, but relevant in that conditions haven't changed other than disappearance of the sun.
    The 4 off them went down on intel 19 ku when I turned the box on at 7 .30 pm. I had no signal for two hours and eventually one by one each transponder had more power to lock my Sky Box. I remember two years ago it was the same as a particular time it was a no no.

Thanks

At about 1030 nzdst all discovery tps faded out for an hour or so then crept back in
    cyclone or thunderstorm near the uplink??
    Yet 3900,3940 fine

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wiilliiss View Post
    At about 1030 nzdst all discovery tps faded out for an hour or so then crept back in
    cyclone or thunderstorm near the uplink??
    Yet 3900,3940 fine
    YES very similar here too!

Thanks

I just lined up my mate's 1.8 Solid C-Band Paraclipse dish and I can get a lock onto it no troubles, FEC 2/3 is better than a 7/8 .Because you need a bigger dish for a 7/8.

Thanks

It may have something to do with the hurricane in the U.S?

• The Following User Says Thank You to apsattv For This Useful Post:

Mr 672A (12-10-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CONAXLE View Post
    I just lined up my mate's 1.8 Solid C-Band Paraclipse dish and I can get a lock onto it no troubles, FEC 2/3 is better than a 7/8 .Because you need a bigger dish for a 7/8.
    Thats interesting to know. The Cheap boxes you dont have to punch in the FEC but the Dearer boxes like the Duo2 or the Ultimo 4K you need the FEC as using S2 8PSK there is no AUTO so you have to give the FEC. This stumps me a lot as people write down the Freq and Symbol rate but most of the time they dont write down the FEC so I have to use EBS pro to get the FEC or just guess.

Thanks

am sure 3900 is more than fec 2/3 more like 3/5
    maybe someone with a more advanced satbox can comment

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wiilliiss View Post
    am sure 3900 is more than fec 2/3 more like 3/5
    maybe someone with a more advanced satbox can comment

• The Following User Says Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

Mr 672A (13-10-18)

Thanks

Hi Guys.

Anyone got an update on the status with Is19 and Horiozons3E
    When are they due to start migrating services over to Horizons 3E ?.

Been out of the loop for a while (Been Working in The Wonderfull World Of Ozz)….
    Not like the old Pas8 Days,

Have had my 3.8M Orbitron on IS19 for the past week or so and see a few C Band Transponders are bouncing around like a Yoyo - Via C/Ku Feed, BOP, North Island Nz.

Be good to know what the status is.

Cheers

Ren

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rentakill View Post
    Hi Guys.

Anyone got an update on the status with Is19 and Horiozons3E
    When are they due to start migrating services over to Horizons 3E ?.

Been out of the loop for a while (Been Working in The Wonderfull World Of Ozz)….
    Not like the old Pas8 Days,

Have had my 3.8M Orbitron on IS19 for the past week or so and see a few C Band Transponders are bouncing around like a Yoyo - Via C/Ku Feed, BOP, North Island Nz.

Be good to know what the status is.

Cheers

Ren
    Checked In19 @ 166E 3940H signal has ben constant 10.7dB from early this morning until the evening.This is actually one of the stronger transponders for me on int19. using a 2.7mt Solid Dish in Perth.

I can not explain why the signals are varying so much for certain people. Atmospheric condition can come into play in the evening, especially if you are on the edge of the footprint or the satellite is close to the horizon. But this is more to do with enhanced signal caused by ducting rather then reducing signal levels.

I have had scalar rings cause blindspots across portions of the band as well as LNBs that may also not be up to spec. The 7/8 FEC certainly wont help compared with the lower FC of other transponders.

With regards Horizane3 that is NOT co located with Int19 @166e but is at 169E, the C Band footprint does not indicate there is anything favourable for Aust except for West and South Australia.
    KU seems to indicate it is to be used purely for Aeroplane services. So I don't think there will not be any transfer of services from 166e to 169re without a lot of expense to the providers.
    Last edited by cmoore; 08-08-19 at 12:46 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to cmoore For This Useful Post:

tristen (08-08-19)