Thread: Bathurst 2018 - in 4K

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Default Bathurst 2018 - in 4K

Well, might as well throw a Bathurst thread up
    But what prompted me was their ad for it being available in 4K!

4K would sure look good on a huge projector!

Anyway, good luck to the teams and i'm looking forward to TCM tomorrow morning!

Here is your Bathurst Schedule:

Any Feeds?
    Any Scanner Freqs or Online Links?
    Last edited by ol' boy; 03-10-18 at 06:26 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

David071 (04-10-18),Guiseppe (03-10-18)

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Which ad?

There's no 4K FTA TV, so I'm guessing it's via streaming.

I'd also suspect the 4K would mostly be upscaled as I doubt there would be sufficient numbers of 4K broadcast facilities, buy either way, it would look brilliant if you were fortunate (and rich enough) to own a 4K projector and a big screen.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Keith (03-10-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Which ad?

I'd also suspect the 4K would mostly be upscaled as I doubt there would be sufficient numbers of 4K broadcast facilities, buy either way, it would look brilliant if you were fortunate (and rich enough) to own a 4K projector and a big screen.
    The Ad is broadcast on Foxtel
    Foxtel has a 4K channel doesn't it?
    I wouldn't know, i don't have 4K capable decoder.

Which prompts my next question, i wonder if there are any feeds?
    Or has that all died years ago?
    Last edited by ol' boy; 03-10-18 at 06:16 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Oceanboy's link says it all.
    The Bathurst 1000 is one of the sweetners from Foxtel to introduce their 4k channel with the Plum being the broadcasting of the numerous Cricket Matches to be played starting in early November.
    I think you have 'Buckleys' chance of receiving any 4k programs except via Foxtel using an IQ 3 or 4 on a suitably compatible TV.

That channel quoted by Tiny showing the 4k channel doesnt appear on the PACE SD decoders I have.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 03-10-18 at 07:01 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

Tiny (03-10-18)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Which ad?

You may have missed this then >>

Foxtel have the cameras & are recording & broadcasting Bathurst live in 4K at 50i (interlaced) frames per second according to their specs that I read on the Fox forum..
    The 4K coverage will come thanks to 30 dedicated 4K cameras
    Next is the cricket. yawn!

Oh & it's going to be add break free for the whole race; first time ever.
    Last edited by Tiny; 03-10-18 at 07:28 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

mtv (04-10-18),ol' boy (04-10-18)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Oceanboy's link says it all.
    The Bathurst 1000 is one of the sweetners from Foxtel to introduce their 4k channel with the Plum being the broadcasting of the numerous Cricket Matches to be played starting in early November.
    I think you have 'Buckleys' chance of receiving any 4k programs except via Foxtel using an IQ 3 or 4 on a suitably compatible TV.

That channel quoted by Tiny showing the 4k channel doesnt appear on the PACE SD decoders I have.
    There would be no point in showing the channel on your Pace box, it is only enabled on the iQ4 as it is capable of 4K decoding.
    I have the iQ3 & there is no channel 444 available either, as it would be pointless, as it is not 4K capable either.
    Well until later when they put the channel up with a nag message to upgrade to 4K, lol. O)
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

enf (05-10-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Tomorrow looks interesting

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    You may have missed this then >>

Foxtel have the cameras & are recording & broadcasting Bathurst live in 4K at 50i (interlaced) frames per second according to their specs that I read on the Fox forum..
    Yes I had missed that... thanks Tiny.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post

Interesting watching the broadcast in 1080i
    30 dedicated 4K cameras as you say Tiny
    Wonder where they are, most likely Track Cameras..

So many places footage is taken from
    Inside cars and uplinked (helicopter?) likely not 4K

I'm interested to see, if normal HD viewers will notice any difference, even though they will be watching a scaled down picture.
    Maybe the 4K cameras offer better detail, that is then carried over into 1080i to some degree?
    Last edited by ol' boy; 04-10-18 at 12:50 PM.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    Interesting watching the broadcast in 1080i
    30 dedicated 4K cameras is you say Tiny
    Wonder where they are, most likely Track Cameras..

So many places footage is taken from
    Inside cars and uplinked (helicopter?) likely not 4K

I'm interested to see, if normal HD viewers will notice any difference, even though they will be watching a scaled down picture.
    Maybe the 4K cameras offer better detail, that is then carried over into 1080i to some degree?
    Yeah I guess from the statement below; that the Native 4K cameras will be for the main track cameras & the rest of the 125 cameras will be the in car cameras, chopper cam, etc,

The entire race will be broadcast in 4K via 30 native 4K broadcast cameras delivering a true 4K experience. The ARMOR ALL Top Ten Shootout will also be replayed on Sunday morning in 4K...................................
    .........The Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000 broadcast features 125 cameras including 87 in-car cameras across the event, as well as Chopper Cam and CamCat.
    Cheers, Tiny

Premium Member
    Thanks

Apparently, according to the broadcasters, Bathurst 4K broadcast is being tested now for those with a 4K box and 4K TV

Premium Member

Thanks

Over the last couple of years I have watched cycling from all over the World and to see how 'On the Road' broadcasting has improved in quality and continuity is quite incredible.
    Maintaining the link between the Camera mounted Motorcycle (Racing Car) the Helicopter and 'Base' is where experience shows along with the Directors quick switch flicking when a drop out does ccur.
    The Techs by now know every square inch or millimetre of Mount Panorama to ensure there are no 'Black Spots' so that would be the only reason I would be interested in spending to go 4k to see if does suffer from any dropouts.
    Doing a Cricket Match from a Ground where the only thing that moves are the Cricketers and the growing Grass should pose very few hassles compared to screaming around 'The Mount'.

Racer or not, going around 'The Mount' is a magical experience any time of Year, something I hope to do again.

PS to Tiny, I thought that I would still be able to see a reference to the 4k channel even if cant I view it as all the HD channels are listed, 'Ring your Provider to include this in your Package' sort of thing.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 04-10-18 at 05:13 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    Apparently, according to the broadcasters, Bathurst 4K broadcast is being tested now for those with a 4K box and 4K TV
    Well yes & no, they have a teaser loop in 4k playing & they have been running some live tests today to tantalise the 4k early adopters.
    Scheduled Live 4K footage of Bathurst starts Sunday morning as well as a replay of the top 10 shootout in 4k in the am before the race.
    Much discussion about all this on the Foxtel Forum, no scheduled 4k coverage until Sunday.

PS to Tiny, I thought that I would still be able to see a reference to the 4k channel even if cant I view it as all the HD channels are listed, 'Ring your Provider to include this in your Package' sort of thing.
    Not the case here gordon, only the iQ4 box is enabled to see the channel thru a software update, we won't see the channel even exists until they decide to nag us with upgrade notices.
    Cheers, Tiny

Premium Member
    Thanks

Anyone watching this in 4K today???

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Racer or not, going around 'The Mount' is a magical experience any time of Year, something I hope to do again.
    I got to do a Hotlap with James Courtney a few years ago as part of a Multiple HSV owners reward thing.

GEEEZUZ!

Only " supposed to do a may of 180 on the straights although we did more but could have been 300 and I doubt would have been any different.
    Going over the top with Courtney pulling another gear and pointing out the view as we flew along where the only thing that was visable was the far wall and the road dropped away had my arse pucked so Tight I could have crushed a needle.

Not the outright speed that's impressive, it's the speed they rip through those bends up the top where you can't even see the goddam road.
    Anyone that has not driven the track can have no real idea how steep and undulating it is and if you have never been round that at high speed let alone race speed, then you have no possible idea the dynamics involved.

Anytime I am near there, I always go for a detour cruise around the track. Never gets old even at 60.

• The Following User Says Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

kclar (07-10-18)

Premium Member

Thanks

Anyone who has gone over Skyline and not had their heart in their Mouths as you drop into the 'S's at as low as 60kph, has got to be stone motherless DEAD !!

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

I've only ever been through Bathurst once and all I was able to do at the time was stop and take a photo of the main straight. Always wanted to go back and drive that track. It was supposed to happen this week as we were supposed to go to Sydney for a wedding. SWMBO decided that she'd rather go to hospital with an infection. I guess we are going nowhere ans she's been in there for a week already and likely to be there for another week!
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...