Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Howto: Installation of iGO8 on Qnav QNG400 and an unbranded GPS unit

Thanks

Default Howto: Installation of iGO8 on Qnav QNG400 and an unbranded GPS unit

Hi All,

I have recently installed iGO8 on 2 GPS units - one a Soniq Qnav QNG400 and the other an unbranded unit bought on ebay that had a timed lock on it. Both required slightly different installations that I will share here, to show appreciation for the useful discussions that helped me to successfully install iGO8 on both units.

DISCLAIMER: Do this at your own risk. If you render your GPS unit an expensive paperweight, do not blame me. The first thing that I recommend is BACK UP your files (SD card) before making any changes.

Firstly, I downloaded the iGO8 program and map files (other threads on this site have links to these files, which are updated fairly regularly, so I won't repeat them here).

Soniq Qnav QNG400:

This was given to me as a promotional gift. It came installed with Destinator software and the Australian map was a 2006 version from Sensis, which is dated and forced me to look for more recent maps. iGO8 was my choice.

What I was able to do was connect the unit to my Vista PC via USB. It allowed me to navigate the entire file system, including the internal flash memory. The flash memory contained a file that pointed to the navigation software executable:

\MyFlashDisk\DestinatorApps\DShell\Schema\Schema.i ni (took a while to work out the importance of this file)

1. Back up existing SD card files to your PC if you plan to use the same SD card.

2. If you haven't done step 1, don't go any further

3. Remove all files on the SD card. On mine, it had a directory 'DestinatorApps\Australia' with the map, poi etc. files in there and nothing else.

4. Copy the un-rar'ed or un-zipped iGO8 files to the SD card, using the same directory structure. There should be one folder called iGO8 in the root and under that the iGO8 executable, .dll's, sys.txt file and other folders.

5. The map, poi, language, etc. files should go in their respective folders under \iGO8\content. That is:
    - map file(s) in \iGO8\content\map
    - poi file(s) in \iGO8\content\poi
    - language file(s) in \iGO8\content\lang etc.

6. Connect the GPS unit to your PC and open the Schema.ini file (location given above). There is a section titled [DestinatorBtn], which defines the program that will be executed when the navigation option is selected from the startup menu screen (at least on the Qnav QNG400 running Destinator software). The 'Action' parameter defines the location of the executable. Below is the relevant section with the original Action commented out and the iGO8 executable (on the SD card) defined.

[DestinatorBtn]
    Rectangle=0,206,125,62
    Unselected=d_unsel.bmp
    Selected=d_sel.bmp
    Pressed=d_press.bmp
    CaptionRectangle=8,240,111,30
    Caption=TxtDestinator
    Font=FontDestinator
    Color=0,0,0
    ; Left button -------------
    ; Original Destinator application (located in internal flash memory)
    ;Action=\MyFlashDisk\DestinatorApps\Destinator\Des tinator.exe
    ; iGO8 application (located on SD card)
    Action=\SDMMC\iGO8\iGO8.exe
    ;

The above details indicate that the original SD card only contained the map files (which explains its relatively small size of 128MB). The application software (Destinator.exe) is in the flash memory. What this means is that without access to the flash memory (to modify the schema.ini file as above), it would be difficult to install/use different navigation software and maps.

7. That's it. Go to the 'Testing' section below.

Unbranded GPS device:

A locked GPS unit was given to me to check out (i.e. try and unlock and/or install iGO8). The navigation software (trial version) was due to expire at the end of this month. It came with basic MobileNavigator software and an Australian Route66 map on a 1GB SD card without TTS capability.

When connected to my Vista PC or an XP SP2 PC, only the SD card files were visible. There was no easy way of accessing any internal files like I was able to do on the Qnav.

This unit required a slightly different installation procedure:

1. Back up existing SD card files to your PC if you plan to use the same SD card.

2. If you haven't done step 1, don't go any further.

3. Remove all files on the SD card except 'GpsShell.ini' in the root (specific to MobileNavigator I think). If you delete this, you can copy it from the backup you made in step 1.

4. Copy the un-rar'ed/un-zipped iGO8 files to the SD card, using the same directory structure. There should be one folder called iGO8 in the root and under that the iGO8 executable, .dll's, sys.txt file and other folders.

5. The map, poi, language, etc. files should go in their respective folders under \iGO8\content. That is:
    - map file(s) in \iGO8\content\map
    - poi file(s) in \iGO8\content\poi
    - language file(s) in \iGO8\content\lang etc.

6. The sys.txt file may need changing, but the one I used contains:
    [folders]
    app="%SDCARD%/MobileNavigator"

[interface]
    maxzoom2d=6000000
    show_exit=1
    skin="ui_igo8"
    vga=0

[debug]
    skip_eula=1

[msnd]
    msnd.start=0

Note the app directory "%SDCARD%/MobileNavigator". This will be explained after step 7.

7. Since the internal flash memory was not accessible, the button on the GPS unit's main menu that runs the navigation software looks for (and expects) MobileNavigator.
    To overcome this:
    7a. Rename the 'iGO8.exe' file (in the \iGO8 folder) to 'MobileNavigator.exe'
    7b. Rename the root 'iGO8' folder to 'MobileNavigator'

This basically tricks the unit into thinking that MobileNavigator (and associated maps) are installed, when in actual fact it is iGO8 that will be running.

It is also why it is important to set the app folder correctly in the \iGO8\sys.txt file mentioned in step 6.

8. The original card came with an .ini file called 'GpsShell.ini'. This should be copied (from the backup) to the root of the new SD card, otherwise it may not work. I've seen other posts mentioning similar files such as 'shell.ini'. Finding the correct file may require some trial and error for other devices/software, although there would not normally be many .ini files in the root location.

Testing:
    That pretty much completes the setup and necessary changes. Insert the SD card into the GPS (if it isn't already) and select the navigation option. If all is well, iGO8 should start, possibly with a few option screens for language etc. and then into the main navigation menu.

I hope this information helps others who need to do similar mods to their GPS/mapping software.

The above ideas should be usable for other units and map software as long as the necessary configuration files have the correct settings and, if necessary, directory and executable file are renamed according to the original software.

mke68

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mke68 For This Useful Post:

me_ashman (26-12-09),pak_indo (11-10-11)

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Talking

Great help mke68.

My GPS was headed for the scrap heap,
    now it's up and running with igo8.

Thanks heaps.
    Laurie

Thanks

You're welcome Laurie. Glad to be of help!

mke68.

Thanks

thanks mke68 used you instuction for Unbranded GPS device: took me a bit of time now have ig08 running on my Unbranded GPS device: thanks again

Thanks

Default QNG400 and IGO8

Hi I have just read with interest your article on igo8 on the QNQ400, interesting, I have followed your directions to the letter but cannot get the unit to go to the igo8 I have changed the file with the action, put the program on the memory stick. When I press navigate it still loads the destinator screen but comes up with 'map not found' still in the original destinator layout, just with no map. It does not want to start the igo8. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Bernie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by berniez View Post
    Hi I have just read with interest your article on igo8 on the QNQ400, interesting, I have followed your directions to the letter but cannot get the unit to go to the igo8 I have changed the file with the action, put the program on the memory stick. When I press navigate it still loads the destinator screen but comes up with 'map not found' still in the original destinator layout, just with no map. It does not want to start the igo8. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Bernie
    Hi berniez,

Have you installed the (unzipped) map file in the correct location (\iGO8\content\map\[file goes here])? And the other relevant files?

I didn't provide a link to any map, language, poi etc. files as there are threads in these forums with links to the latest map files.

Recheck steps 4 and 5 carefully. Also, ensure you have the correct case (upper and lower case) for directory and file names. Typos can also be a problem - the capital 'O' in 'iGO8' can be accidentally substituted for a zero for example.

Good luck.
    mke68.

Thanks

Default still problems

Hello again, Thanks for the respond, yes I have checked and double checked and all is ok. The contents/map has 2 files in it australia.fbl and basemap.fbl Is the look of IGO the same as the original destinator just with a different map or is it an entirely different interface. I still cannot get maps to load 'map not found'
    Bernie

Thanks

I am just wondering whether I have the right exe programs? I have also tried deleting the schema.ini altogether and it still makes no difference. it still loads destinator but can't find map. igo8 just does not seem to be recognized. I can understand it does not find the map, because destinator map is not there, but why does it not start igo
    Thanks
    Last edited by berniez; 05-10-08 at 06:22 PM.

Thanks

You might want to check that you have iGO8.exe in the \iGO8 folder. Without the .exe, it won't work (and that happened to me originally until I realised one of the downloads didn't contain it).

Hope this helps,
    mke68.

Thanks

Default Igo8 & QNG400

Thanks, I have been over and over it and yes the exe is there as I said it still boots up destinator even when I remove the schema.ini altogether, making me think that there is another reference to destinator. I put the exact same igo8 into my smartphone and it worked straight away, just not in the gps for the car. Could there be another reference to destinator.exe that i have overlooked. If I removed the schema.ini file should i technically not get an error message saying that it is missing. yet it still boots into destinator.
    Thanks, Bernie

Thanks

berniez:

Did you leave the rest of the schema.ini file untouched (only commented out the original action line and added the new one)? The rest of that file remains the same.

FYI: When you fire up your GPS unit, it should still come up with the usual Destinator screen with the Destinator (navigation) button on the lower left and settings button on the lower right. If you have the iGO8 set up correctly, when you press the button for navigation, it should start the iGO8 application. The fact that it doesn't means the button is not pointing to the correct application, or there is some other setting preventing it from starting.

I will need to recheck my setup and get back to you later.

mke68.

Thanks

Thanks, yep that's all I have done, like I mentioned before I can leave out the complete schema file (delete it) and the gps still boots into the old destinator interface with no map as the maps have been deleted of the card. I put the schema file back edited to igo8 and still destinator comes up. There must be another reference to the destinator program. I have also tried changing the 'dshell' and 'dsettings' located in the destinator/dshell folder by replacing the destinator reference with igo8, still boots into destinator. To clarify, when I switch the unit on it is the same as before, when I press the navigate button it should load igo, as that is where the schema points to but it still loads destinator. All files are now back to original except schema with the igo active, but still nothing. All paths and references are correct. There must be another reference to destinator on boot up.
    Wait to hear from you.
    Bernie

Thanks

OK. There may be one extra file you need to modify.

In the \iGO8 directory, there is a file called 'sys.txt'. If it is present, edit it as follows:
    Code:
    [folders]
    app="%SDCARD%/iGO8"

[interface]
    maxzoom2d=6000000
    show_exit=1
    The above is my sys.txt file. If that works for you, then I apologise for not including that part in my original post. The app parameter points to the application folder, and may well explain why it hasn't worked for you.

If not, check for a file called 'crash.txt' in the 'SDMMC\iGO8\' directory. It can help with debugging any problems.

Let me know if that works.
    mke68.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mke68 For This Useful Post:

pak_indo (11-10-11)

Thanks

Thanks, still no difference, here is my schema file:
    ---------------------------------------------------
    ;Schema for DShell
    ;File format:
    ;[Section]
    ;Var=Value
    ;Section and variable names begin from the 0 positionof the line.
    ;After the variable name should be symbol "="
    ;Comment starts from ";"

[General]
    Description=Default schema for DShell
    Language=Default
    Background=mainbk.bmp
    DateTime=DateTime
    Buttons=2
    Button 1=DestinatorBtn
    Button 2=SettingsBtn
    ButtonClick=click.wav

[DateTime]
    Format=hh:mm
    Rectangle=5,2,50,16
    Color=0,0,0

[DestinatorBtn]
    Rectangle=0,206,125,62
    Unselected=d_unsel.bmp
    Selected=d_sel.bmp
    Pressed=d_press.bmp
    CaptionRectangle=8,240,111,30
    Caption=TxtDestinator
    Font=FontDestinator
    Color=0,0,0
    Action=\SDMMC\iGO8\iGO8.exe

[SettingsBtn]
    Rectangle=355,206,125,62
    Unselected=s_unsel.bmp
    Selected=s_sel.bmp
    Pressed=s_pres.bmp
    Caption=TxtSettings
    CaptionRectangle=366,240,111,30
    Font=FontSettings
    Color=0,0,0
    Action=\MyFlashDisk\DestinatorApps\DShell\DSetting .exe

[Default Text]
    TxtDestinator=Navigation
    TxtSettings=Settings

[Default Font]
    FontDestinator=Tahoma,14,B
    FontSettings=Tahoma,14,B
    DateTime=Tahoma,14,R

[EnglishUK Text]
    TxtDestinator=Navigation
    TxtSettings=Settings

[EnglishUK Font]
    FontSettings=Tahoma,14,B
    DateTime=Tahoma,14,R

[English Text]
    TxtDestinator=Navigation
    TxtSettings=Settings

[English Font]
    FontSettings=Tahoma,14,B
    DateTime=Tahoma,14,R
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Like I mentioned before I can leave out this file altogether and it still boots into destinator.
    I have deleted the following files: dshell\schema\schema.ini and dshell\dsetting.ini and dshell\dshell.ini and still boots into destinator and working. Therefore technically none of these files should make any difference to where the location of the software (igo8 or destinator) lies, there has to be another reference. I also checked sys in igo8 as you suggested, it is the same as yours. There is no crash file as I suspect that as the program technically has not crashed it just can't seem to be referenced to boot. There must be another hidden file somewhere with the location of the boot, but I cannot seem to find it.
    Thanks for all your help it is greatly appreciated, but I will have to put up with destinator as I cannot seem to work it out. I will keep trying.
    Bernie

Thanks

Hi mke68, I manage to install the iGO8 on an unbranded GPS unit, it look like ok but as my GPS unit is an module to car dvd I can't setup nothing in it, There is any config to show the cursor arrow? Then with the remote setup the GPS???

Thanks...

Thanks

I have just used the above procedure to give a new lease of life to a Soniq QNG350. Thanks for the effort gone in to working out how to mod the Soniq units.

Thanks

berniez a bit late but to everyone remember the reset button to clear whats still runnining remember it is ce it is microsoft it needs a reset button.

Thanks

Thanks MKE68 You are the man, got my dodgy outdated gps going thanks to you ..
    Loaded sd card with igo8 and renamed the exe file and ....BAM!!!!

Updated maps and poi ...
    Thank you
    Poonstar

Thanks

I had a unbranded gps unit running route 66, bought a new sd card
    copied igo8 straight to card loaded straight up and running fine
    One thing it would not load at all by deleting files off a card

Thanks

Has anyone done this to a Soniq QNG360 ??? as the file structure diff from the 400.
    MyFlashDisk\DestinatorApps\DShell\Schema\Schema.i ni = QNG400
    \SDMMC\DestinatorApps\Australia = QNG360

As you can see no DShell folder unless i am looking in the wrong place lol

Tagg

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast