Thread: Cheap? Landline Call Offer.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default Cheap? Landline Call Offer.

7.45pm last night I got a call from an Asian male offering me a cheap rates on the Home Phone.
    He claimed to be 'local' and working I THINK for a company called 'Southern Phone' based in 'Victoria, Melbourne'
    I dont think this is the same as that one who does fliers and TV advertising.

I told him my current phone bill is purely line rental only as I have NOT made a call since February or so and after 'going away', he offers to cut $10 of the rental.
    Unlike Telstra, when they rang me a few weeks ago, this reduction did NOT result in local Calls being 'Timed' but would remain around the 20 cents? a call.
    STD rates seemed to be similar to what they are now but a definite drop in the costs of calls to Mobile.
    As usual I am very distrustful of these 'Cold Calls' so I eventually told him I wasnt interested and I wasnt changing from my current carrier.

Genuine or scam, I have no idea but calling THAT late (7.45PM) makes you wonder.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

eaglem (13-10-18)

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    7.45pm last night I got a call from an Asian
    Enough said
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

eaglem (13-10-18),enf (10-10-18)

Thanks

STD rates seemed to be similar to what they are now but a definite drop in the costs of calls to Mobile.
    As usual I am very distrustful of these 'Cold Calls' so I eventually told him I wasnt interested and I wasnt changing from my current carrier.
    You still have a landline that you are paying for phone calls. That is novel to quaint LOL
    When you can have UNlimited phone calls to landlines and mobiles on a mobile phone from $8.91 a month and minimum 1.0Gb data why would you be bothered with a landline.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,062 Times in 9,090 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lineland View Post
    You still have a landline that you are paying for phone calls. That is novel to quaint LOL
    When you can have UNlimited phone calls to landlines and mobiles on a mobile phone from $8.91 a month and minimum 1.0Gb data why would you be bothered with a landline.
    I have a landline. VOIP. Same as my old number that I've had for decades. Comes with VDSL, unlimited.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Banned
    Thanks

No choice when you get NBN, land line comes with it.

Premium Member

Thanks

One of the reasons I have retained the Landline is because I am JUST in a Mobile reception area.
    4G on 700 Mhz has not long become available at the house so the Mobile we have had for some years was bought when they shut the Analog down and only used when traveling.

My choice of Carriers was limited to Telstra only and their mobile rates were atrocious, Like 74 cents a minute?
    Optus reception varies and forget Vodaphone and others as they simply dont cover my home area.
    One time I rang OPTUS about an offer they had for Pensioners and they couldnt find me, my area does NOT come up on their data base !!!!

Another factor is that although you can NOW get the Rates you have mentioned, its only in the last few months they have become available here but to access them I had to replace the Phone and I wasnt paying $100's to do so when I had no use for it.
    Then of course you have to notify all and sundry of your shutting down of the Landline and at the present, I cant be bothered to do so.
    Sadly not all of us have a Tower on every street corner nor are services like ADSL available here because the carriers wont install the necessary equipment due to cost involved.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 15-10-18 at 10:57 AM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

Anybody with medical issues would be stupid to solely rely on mobile reception.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteOx For This Useful Post:

enf (15-10-18),gulliver (15-10-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

NBN isn't proving to be all that trustworthy either!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 573 Posts

My choice of Carriers was limited to Telstra only and their mobile rates were atrocious, Like 74 cents a minute?
    Hope you’re not still on a plan like that Gordon. Even on Telstra pre-paid you get unlimited calls and texts for $30p/m.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

I signed up with Optarse about 20 years ago. They were going to ring us back with a cutover date. I'm still waiting.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

ling ling....ling ling....

• The Following User Says Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (16-10-18)

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peteramjet View Post
    Hope you’re not still on a plan like that Gordon. Even on Telstra pre-paid you get unlimited calls and texts for $30p/m.
    No, earlier this year I bought a new SMART type mobile that was on Sale to access 4G etc and went with Aldi's $15 a month offer for 2 reasons and they were its using 'a part of Telstra' which I know works here and the easiest to buy from.

A few weeks later I bought the 'Little Brother' version of the first phone (again on sale) and another Aldi Card and so far both the phones and the access have been great and serves our needs perfectly.
    Also despite having 2 mobiles and the Landline, I am still saving $10 a month over what I was paying out on average.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Southern Phone are a legit company, they are Australian and from memory have Australian staff and support.

I have been getting leaflets in the letterbox about them for about 10 years.

• 26-10-18, 11:04 AM