Thread: RIP! - Strong Satellite Receiver 4922B+

Thanks

Default RIP! - Strong Satellite Receiver 4922B+

Storm tonight - lookslike we got hit at or near the dish...the Strong Receiver is toast (smells pretty burnt) RIP! The modem got hit through the copper line as well.

Anyone else got hit in the past ?

Whats the chances of the LNB being fried also ?

Cheers

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jinott View Post
    Whats the chances of the LNB being fried also ?
    Highly likely if the surge entered the receiver via the coax.

If the coax was involved, it and connectors will also likely need to be replaced.

If it entered via the mains power cable, the LNB 'may' be OK.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

jinott (11-10-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Highly likely if the surge entered the receiver via the coax.

If the coax was involved, it and connectors will also likely need to be replaced.

If it entered via the mains power cable, the LNB 'may' be OK.
    Thanks mtv

Just took the cover off...the Power supply circuit board is fried...its a separate circuit board from the main board...and cant smell any toast on the main board but still not sure 100% if it came down the coax ...guess going to have to tread careful I think and check the cabling and LNB...especially as other electronics connected to the same mains power has checked out fine.

Thanks

just for the record the component on this that has vapourised!! is an 8 pin IC marked as 'ICE3BR1765J'

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

rip

Thanks

Well its not RIP! Been waiting for this rain to stop here in Qld...got a break today and checked out the LNB with a meter Ok.. cabling...ok... given this I suspected that we had a power surge rather than a hit on the antenna down. This made me think it was possible the circuit boards (except for the obvious blown SMPS) was likely ok.

I traced connections and even though there was a four wire supply lead from the SMPS board to the main board .. they were actually two pairs so summised they were simply Gnd and Positive...took a guess on voltage at 12 volts (dc)...and so tested the unit with a current limited lab power supply at 12volts DC...and up she came! So really just need to find a 12volt DC Power Plug/Brick and goto to Jaycar and wire in a 2 amp slow blow fuse and holder and will be back up to speed.!

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jinott View Post
    Well its not RIP! Been waiting for this rain to stop here in Qld...got a break today and checked out the LNB with a meter Ok.. cabling...ok... given this I suspected that we had a power surge rather than a hit on the antenna down. This made me think it was possible the circuit boards (except for the obvious blown SMPS) was likely ok.

I traced connections and even though there was a four wire supply lead from the SMPS board to the main board .. they were actually two pairs so summised they were simply Gnd and Positive...took a guess on voltage at 12 volts (dc)...and so tested the unit with a current limited lab power supply at 12volts DC...and up she came! So really just need to find a 12volt DC Power Plug/Brick and goto to Jaycar and wire in a 2 amp slow blow fuse and holder and will be back up to speed.!
    With our Sat System (many components) when there is a Storm I pull the 240V plug out of the wall, you cant do more than this. If I go out during the Storm season I pull the plug out of the wall before I leave

• The Following User Says Thank You to Mr 672A For This Useful Post:

jinott (18-10-18)

Thanks

Hi jinott,

I have a 4922B+ and I can test all the power supply rail voltages for you if you like.
    Just make sure that if there's two supply rails to the main board that you don't have a 12V DC rail and a 5V DC rail, as if there's a 5V DC rail, it might not be happy if you give it 12V.
    It's a good thing that a lot of modern receivers have a separate power supply board these days.

We had some gear blown up last weekend out near Toowoomba, shorted a power supply regulator (output went up to 32V) and destroyed two 100Ah batteries and an Ethernet switch.

• The Following User Says Thank You to VK4TIM For This Useful Post:

jinott (18-10-18)

Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by VK4TIM View Post
    Hi jinott,

I have a 4922B+ and I can test all the power supply rail voltages for you if you like.
    Just make sure that if there's two supply rails to the main board that you don't have a 12V DC rail and a 5V DC rail, as if there's a 5V DC rail, it might not be happy if you give it 12V.
    It's a good thing that a lot of modern receivers have a separate power supply board these days.

We had some gear blown up last weekend out near Toowoomba, shorted a power supply regulator (output went up to 32V) and destroyed two 100Ah batteries and an Ethernet switch.
    VK4TIM If you wouldlnt mind many thanks! to confirm the voltages that would be most appreciated. What I think.... 4 wires in a ribbon from SMPS board...two inner wires solder connected at SMPS board - I believe is 12v+ dc...other two (outer wires) - one is black and other is white both check out at zero ohms to the metal case.

Cheers

Thanks

simply follow the pcb tracks
    if 1 ends up at a 10v elevtro mostlikely 5v rail and if the other goes to 16v electro quite likely 12v with the other 2 earth

• The Following User Says Thank You to wiilliiss For This Useful Post:

jinott (19-10-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wiilliiss View Post
    simply follow the pcb tracks
    if 1 ends up at a 10v elevtro mostlikely 5v rail and if the other goes to 16v electro quite likely 12v with the other 2 earth
    Yep thats what Ive done.. 16volt caps. Had it on test for a few hours now...all good ..seems its just 12v DC.