Thread: Custom Number Plates - The new investment?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Default Custom Number Plates - The new investment?

I know people used to register plates then hold them and try and sell them at a profit
    But, i think these numbers just got very real!

I see a lot of these plates around here on weekends
    Thought nothing of it.... Not anymore i won't

This guy will be happy

And check the article date, 2014.
    What must it be worth today?
    Last edited by ol' boy; 17-10-18 at 12:48 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I took one look at the prices charged by the NSW Registry for personalised plates and that soon cooled my interest in having a set.
    Those 'Vintage Plates' like the one shown here, does the holder actually own them (but not valid to use) or the holder pays an Annual Fee to so , fitted to a motor vehicle or not?
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Those 'Vintage Plates' like the one shown here, does the holder actually own them (but not valid to use) or the holder pays an Annual Fee to so , fitted to a motor vehicle or not?
    No idea gordon, but there would be at least 20 sets of those vintage number plates around here on most weekends
    Around 10 or so live here full time.
    They are VERY noticeable when you see them driving, the plate stands out more than the car!
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    I took one look at the prices charged by the NSW Registry for personalised plates and that soon cooled my interest in having a set.
    Victorian custom plates or any other plates are purchased for a one off fee, there are no annual fees to be paid by owner, only other fee that is payable is if you transfer the plates to another vehicle which will cost you $100

I have two sets of plates atm in my name.

Cheers.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

NSW Registry has always been greedy and would charge you for the holes in the plates to put the screws through.
    I feel safe in saying NSW has been the slowest to allow personalised plates, those Narrow/Wide types/Push bike Carrier copies etc but once they did, they have made up for lost time with the charges.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!