Thread: Replacing Fluro with LED type.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default Replacing Fluro with LED type.

I have just been given a pair of LED Batton lights made by Lanson with 2 X 18 Watt 'LED" strips instead of the usual Fluro Tubes.
    Can they be substituted for an aging fluro Batten type light already in use or do they need to be wired in a different way?
    The wiring is the standard 3 wire type used today in lighting circuits.

Its only recently I have begun to use LED globes on a couple of Table Lamps instead of the old filament type which were were uncomfortably warm to sit under at times.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

If as your post suggests it's an entire fitting rated for mains AC voltage, yes, a direct replacement.

If they are only tubes, no, as LED lamps do not use a ballast/starter like standard fluoro tubes do.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (18-10-18),Ranger1 (17-10-18),Tiny (17-10-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,471 Times in 1,531 Posts

Copy from another source!

Step 1: Be Safe

Turn off the electricity. The “lock-out, tag-out” approach is safest—turn off the breaker that supplies power to that fixture. Tape a note over the breaker that explains you are working on a fixture and to keep the breaker off. Inform other people in the house what you are doing. Also make sure you wear eye protection—this is especially important should an old fluorescent bulb shatter while you are removing it.
    Step 2: Remove the Bulbs

You may need to remove a fixture cover to expose them. In some states, fluorescent bulbs are considered hazardous material. They contain mercury, and should not be thrown in the trash but must be taken to a disposal center (some hardware stores serve as drop-off points). See bit.ly/lamprecycle for regulations in your state.
    Step 3: Remove the Ballast

Remove the cover(s) from the ballast and wires and unscrew the ballast from the unit. Remove the ballast from the fixture wires, leaving enough of the black (typically “hot” or energized) and white (typically neutral) wires from the center to reach the socket wires. We threw the old ballasts in the trash. There are no regulations regarding their disposal and no recycling programs available for them.
    Step 4: Rewire

Next, connect the fixture and socket wires together, then replace the wiring cover. The most straightforward way to rewire the fixture is to twist the wires together with the properly sized wire nuts. In our case, there were two yellow wires on the left side; and two reds and two blues on the right side. Regardless of the colors, the important thing is to put all the wires from one side together securely with one of the leads from the center (i.e., the incoming circuit wires), and all of the wires from the other side together with the other lead.
    Some replacement LED tubes are made with both the hot and neutral connection on one side. In that case, you’ll need to rewire the sockets and follow the LED bulb manufacturer’s instructions.
    Step 5: Install LEDs

Take the LED bulbs out of their packaging, peel off the protective plastic, and remove the tip guards. Install the bulbs as you would a fluorescent T-8, inserting each end into the slots and twisting to lock each into the receptacle, with the LED string facing down. All bulbs should be tightly seated.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Rick For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (18-10-18)

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    If as your post suggests it's an entire fitting rated for mains AC voltage, yes, a direct replacement.

If they are only tubes, no, as LED lamps do not use a ballast/starter like standard fluoro tubes do.
    Its for that reason you have given MTV as to why I didnt try to use LED tubes only in a 'standard' Fluorescent fixture some time ago as I was uncertain regarding the use of the Ballast/starter and LED tubes.

This is a complete unit and while I ASSUMED it could be used as a direct replacement, I would rather display my ignorance 'How To' and ask !!

Thank You Rick for that comprehensive information.............
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,917 Times in 1,280 Posts

Hi gordon

I have replaced the fluorescent tubes in the garage with led types bought from Bunnings the new tubes came with a new starter so it was remove old tube remove old starter fit new starter and tube all done.

The light fittings would be around 25 years old and no sparky needed as your not opening the light fitting just fitting a new tube and starter.

Cheers

SS Dave

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SS Dave For This Useful Post:

joezep (21-10-18),LeroyPatrol (18-10-18),Ranger1 (20-10-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SS Dave View Post
    Hi gordon

I have replaced the fluorescent tubes in the garage with led types bought from Bunnings the new tubes came with a new starter so it was remove old tube remove old starter fit new starter and tube all done.

The light fittings would be around 25 years old and no sparky needed as your not opening the light fitting just fitting a new tube and starter.

Cheers

SS Dave
    I've never heard of such a thing and can't find it on Bunning's web catalogue.
    Would you have a link to any info about it?

Mainly because it sounds odd for LED lighting to function with a fluorescent ballast and require a 'starter' as well. The 'greener' type of fluoro tubes were released decades ago (10% less energy for higher light output) and they are notoriously difficult to strike with an older type starter so they tend to come with a new more suitable starter sometimes.

ETA: it was pretty much covered a few posts back
    Last edited by Skepticist; 18-10-18 at 08:00 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,147 Times in 1,058 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skepticist View Post
    I've never heard of such a thing and can't find it on Bunning's web catalogue.
    Would you have a link to any info about it?

Mainly because it sounds odd for LED lighting to function with a fluorescent ballast and require a 'starter' as well. The 'greener' type of fluoro tubes were released decades ago (10% less energy for higher light output) and they are notoriously difficult to strike with an older type starter so they tend to come with a new more suitable starter sometimes.

ETA: it was pretty much covered a few posts back
    The replacement "starter" is just a short circuit. The lower current means the ballast just becomes a low value series resistor.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reschs For This Useful Post:

Ranger1 (20-10-18),Skepticist (18-10-18),SS Dave (19-10-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Search Bunnings for Osram led tube or Google Osram substitube.
    Death smiles at everyone. Grumpy old men smile back.

• The Following User Says Thank You to SS Dave For This Useful Post:

Skepticist (19-10-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks

i replaced the whole house a few years ago and the tubes came with a new starter which was just a wire connecting the two poles on the starter

Premium Member

Thanks

I remember ALDI selling these LED fluorescent replacement tubes along with an appropriate 'Starter' a year or more ago.
    I think there was also a mention about the Ballast which I cant remember now was to either leave it in place or disconnect/ remove it so I left things as they were.
    As I understood the instructions, the 'NEW' starter had to be inserted to complete the power circuit.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Actually got myself a couple of these and very pleased with them so thanks for the heads up (would have eventually discovered them but Austech accelerated the learning process yet again)
    The 'starter' is actually a HRC fuse so essentially yes it's basically just a wire.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SS Dave View Post
    Hi gordon

Cheers

SS Dave
    Correct, many manufacturers have produced replacement LED tubes for fluorescent lighting which involves just replacing tubes and starters to existing fittings.
    No need to replace or rewire fluorescent light fittings.

Only thing I don't know is the LED lighting any better than the flouro tube on brightness, maybe one day when I replace tubes I will know. lol
    Last edited by Ranger1; 20-10-18 at 01:16 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger1 View Post
    Correct, many manufacturers have produced replacement LED tubes for fluorescent lighting which involves just replacing tubes and starters to existing fittings.
    No need to replace or rewire fluorescent light fittings.

Only thing I don't know is the LED lighting any better than the flouro tube on brightness, maybe one day when I replace tubes I will know. lol
    I found there seemed to be a brighter light from the led tube but that maybe because of the age of the old tubes.
    The other thing is instant on as the old ones would blink 3 or so times and then there was a hum as well from the old ones.

SS Dave

Premium Member

Thanks

I bought an LED desk lamp some time and was very pleased with the soft light and no radiated heat it had compared with the usual 10/40 Watt incandescent globes.
    The globe started to play up so I replaced it with a similar wattage but the new one has a far 'Brighter' or Intense Light than the old one did.
    I have tried 3 other new Globes all of the same wattage and none are as soft as the first one.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,147 Times in 1,058 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    I bought an LED desk lamp some time and was very pleased with the soft light and no radiated heat it had compared with the usual 10/40 Watt incandescent globes.
    The globe started to play up so I replaced it with a similar wattage but the new one has a far 'Brighter' or Intense Light than the old one did.
    I have tried 3 other new Globes all of the same wattage and none are as soft as the first one.
    When you choose LED Lamps you need to check the Colour Temperature.
    This is the case with latter Fluorescent Tubes.
    The bright ones would be called something like " Daylight " , and " Cool White ", whereas the other would be " Warm White " .