Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Land Acknowledgments, Tradition Owners - Blah Blah

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Default Land Acknowledgments, Tradition Owners - Blah Blah

Seems today, you cant have an award ceremony or opening ceremony or sporting event without acknowledging "Traditional Owners"

This is normally (well in Australia) followed by a half assed dance with some gum leafs, face paint of some very white looking indigenous people.
    I also notice a lot of Local Shire Offices now fly the Indigenous Flag as well as the Australian Flag.

Thats all great, its all part of our history.
    But what is with the speeches of white people thanking the Traditional Land owners??
    Thanking them for what?

It is hardly like they have any claim or say over that land today.
    Does it actually help anyone? Apart from making Whitey look like he cares..... That he has a moral compass and wants look all caring when a TV camera is on him.
    What is it really saying?? "We stole your land, so thanks for that", here is a little speech to remind you.

More and more public events are now opening with an "Acknowledgement to Country" speech.
    And they're done so poorly, its almost insulting half the time.

I wonder if the Australian Chinese will give a similar speech in 100 years time?

Is this just our little way of saying sorry from here on out?
    Last edited by ol' boy; 21-10-18 at 12:55 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

admin (25-10-18),Al Bundy (21-10-18),RedXT (27-10-18)

Look Here ->
    Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

Just more PC BS.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Jma For This Useful Post:

VroomVroom (22-10-18)

Thanks

Probably OT but related.

All of us have heard that "their" traditions have been handed down through the generations.

Can "they" please explain why there is rock art depicting fish, human bodies, etc from thousands of years ago but today all "they" can do is dot painting?

Someone else preceded them in Australia - and did the rock art - and were wiped out by some means?
    If Australia is a democracy why, then, is voting compulsory?

"What has changed between the arrival of the First Fleet and today?"
    "Wearing leg irons is now not required."

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 813 Posts

Dot painting is NOT an abbo art form, they stole it

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

a nun from hermansberg mission introduced it as the "natives " couldnt draw a straight line . read your history book !!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alpha0ne View Post
    Dot painting is NOT an abbo art form, they stole it
    I work in a museum and we have many anthropologists working with us - One of our indigenous curators used to lament about "More ####ing dot paintings!" - always gave us the giggles.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Sooo, dot paintings and Acknowledgment Speeches are related.... how?
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

get worldly !!!!!!!!!!!! indians in usa , maori in nz ,abbos aus , white do gooders !!!!!!!!its an industry ,,,,as happened in the usa /canada /nz the"supposed" natives in nz are making money hand over fist out of it - but there is none left there any more so they invent things and the halfbaked push the barrow to the bank , Mark my words soon they will be bleating in aussie ,poor hard done by black fella eh !!!!!

• The Following User Says Thank You to hinekadon For This Useful Post:

Keith (15-06-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,916 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    Seems today, you cant have an award ceremony or opening ceremony or sporting event without acknowledging "Traditional Owners”
    F#@king sh!ts me to tears.
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Al Bundy For This Useful Post:

enf (21-10-18),hinekadon (22-10-18),RedXT (27-10-18)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,062 Times in 9,090 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
    F#@king sh!ts me to tears.
    Amen to that brother....sigh!
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (21-10-18),hinekadon (22-10-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

Its all a load of PC BS , just designed to find another way of giving money to abbos that they dont deserve.

I was flabbergasted when i went to my grandkids daycare christmas party in Sydney last year - the overpaid toffee nosed director paid some local coon $50 cash just to come in a sprout this welcome to country nonsense to a bunch of under 5 year olds!! who didnt even give a shit about it

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to VroomVroom For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (22-10-18),hinekadon (22-10-18),Jma (22-10-18),ol' boy (22-10-18),shred (22-10-18)

Thanks

My wife and I have combined our surnames and come up with what we call our 'traditional name' - the Webbajera's - we have the red black and yellow sign with our name on it out front of our place. Whenever we celebrate a birthday or similar I always thank the traditional owners of the land, the Webbajera's of Bittern.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to webtech For This Useful Post:

enf (22-10-18),Jma (22-10-18)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,062 Times in 9,090 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by webtech View Post
    my wife and i have combined our surnames and come up with what we call our 'traditional name' - the webbajera's - we have the red black and yellow sign with our name on it out front of our place. Whenever we celebrate a birthday or similar i always thank the traditional owners of the land, the webbajera's of bittern.
    lol....
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VroomVroom View Post
    Its all a load of PC BS , just designed to find another way of giving money to abbos that they dont deserve.
    It makes them feel important too, so they can walk around like their sh*t don't stink.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VroomVroom View Post

I was flabbergasted when i went to my grandkids daycare christmas party in Sydney last year - the overpaid toffee nosed director paid some local coon $50 cash just to come in a sprout this welcome to country nonsense to a bunch of under 5 year olds!! who didnt even give a shit about it
    The toffee nosed overpaid director has little choice if she wants her Centre to retain its eligibility to keep receiving Child Care Subsidy which is essentially the Government paying some or all of the parents fees. Without this Centres would have few children. The price is that they must implement the Early Years Learning Framework which embraces diversity and respect, the environment, "sustainability" etc. Centre are rated regularly and the ratings are published on the MyChild website. Centres which do not meet the requirements and are not working towards meeting them are not eligible for subsidy. "Quality" is defined by reference to the various areas of the EYLF.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DB44 For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (23-10-18),lsemmens (23-10-18),VroomVroom (23-10-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,916 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DB44 View Post
    The toffee nosed overpaid director has little choice if she wants her Centre to retain its eligibility to keep receiving Child Care Subsidy which is essentially the Government paying some or all of the parents fees. Without this Centres would have few children. The price is that they must implement the Early Years Learning Framework which embraces diversity and respect, the environment, "sustainability" etc. Centre are rated regularly and the ratings are published on the MyChild website. Centres which do not meet the requirements and are not working towards meeting them are not eligible for subsidy. "Quality" is defined by reference to the various areas of the EYLF.
    Sounds suspiciously like Blackmail to me....
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Al Bundy For This Useful Post:

DB44 (25-10-18),enf (26-10-18),lsemmens (23-10-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

while on the subject - i laughed yesterday when i saw Prince Harry on Fraser Island taking selfies with a bunch of boongers , who were sucking up to him and asking the govt for extra funding so they can start thier own tour businesses . FFS how much extra money do they want to bleed out of the taxpayers??? . But Wait - when it comes to Australia Day the same welfare leeching savages will cry out and call it invasion day? bunch of hypocrites

• The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to VroomVroom For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (23-10-18),enf (23-10-18),george65 (25-10-18),Guiseppe (23-10-18),gulliver (24-10-18),hinekadon (23-10-18),Jma (23-10-18)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Its all a load of leftist PC crap.

Like the "Welcome to Country" crap where they wave a branch..........obviously an ancient ceremony of course

"It has now been revealed that the concept of the welcome-to-country ceremony was made up in Perth by entertainers Ernie Dingo and Richard Walley in 1976, after pressure from visiting Pacific Islander dancers who refused to perform at a festival unless they were welcomed with a ceremony, as was traditional in their own region," Akerman opined. "Dingo and Walley came up with something acceptable to their Islander guests, The Australian reported yesterday."

Its all just a big rort and cash cow for people. A bloke down my way is the councils go to man for stick waving ceremonies, gets paid hundreds for a quick stick wave. I used to go to school with him, he is originally from Western Australia and not related to any aboriginal tribe in this state let alone this area.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

enf (26-10-18),VroomVroom (26-10-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

No matter what you want to do in the country areas particularly, Build a road, improve infrastructure, put up a shit house, wherever it is will suddenly be proclaimed a " Sacred Site" even though there is no mention or record of it ever before. This will delay any said project from months to years, depending on the size and ultimately result in a payment of compensation to the tribe who's heritage is being "destroyed".

Sacred sites can be anything from a rock painting done with a spray can in 2001 to the burnt remnants of a tree stump some elder supposedly pissed on 5000 years ago.
    If an alternate site is found for what ever construction, it' too will quickly be deemed another sacred site of even more significance ensuring further delay and cost to the project and meaning payment of compensation is easier to avoid further delays and expenses.

IMHO, all sacred sites should be registered NOW so their location is known and can be avoided and if any more are found later, stiff shit.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (25-10-18),VroomVroom (26-10-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,599 Times in 1,950 Posts

Yes, it's all a joke. Particularly their 'traditional' dot paintings......

Invented by a white art teacher in the early 70s because his aboriginal students were having trouble drawing straight lines.....

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

• The Following User Says Thank You to hoe For This Useful Post:

enf (26-10-18)

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast