Thread: WiFi Extenders

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

Default WiFi Extenders

Do they work as advertised?

Any recommendations?

Cheers
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Look Here ->

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Bought one 2 weeks ago.
    Mainly so I could print directly and wirelessly from my camera to printer direct. The one I got is a TPlink Nano router. Multifunction thing that works great.
    It can be setup as a travel router, a hotspot router, a range extender and an accesspoint.

Because the wireless router is in my office at one end of the house, Mrs and daughter were complaining there wasn't much signal in the main loungeroom 25M away at the other end.
    I put this thing in the Kitchen which is 3/4 the way down in extender mode and the signal all round the house is heaps better, even outside on the verandahs which is handy on these warmer nights when sitting out there.

It's only a small thing and cost $30 delivered. I think I'll get another couple, one to do what this one was slated for, keep in my gear bag for using on the road when I'm working and leave the other one in situ as it is. The 3rd one I'll take to the holiday house as the Wifi there is crap in most of the place and we can't move the router.

One I have is model number TL- WR802N
    A lot of this IT gear shits me to tears even though I am not inexperienced with it. Al ot of the configurations and setups they use are stupid though. This thing has been great. Logical, easy to access the setup and controls and straight forward to use. Much better than I would have hoped for . the price was great and the performance from a little thing is excellent.

Can't really fault it.

• The Following User Says Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

enf (31-10-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    Do they work as advertised?

Any recommendations?

Cheers
    I think from Memory, a WiFi Extender will also halve your data rate possible?

I have been using the EoP solutions for years, so much better
    If that is an option for you, i'd do that.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    I think from Memory, a WiFi Extender will also halve your data rate possible?

I have been using the EoP solutions for years, so much better
    If that is an option for you, i'd do that.
    i have also setup eop units for people and i think they work much better.

but if it is wireless that is needed then the units that plug into the power points and
    distribute from there work better that the standard AP in my opinion

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The 5ghz signal at the other end of the house is very weak. Speed is down to about a third.

I just want to boost the signal a bit.

The power circuit at the other end of the house is a different circuit and I assumed EoP isn't feasible.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

The 5ghz signal at the other end of the house is very weak. Speed is down to about a third.

I just want to boost the signal a bit.

The power circuit at the other end of the house is a different circuit and I assumed EoP isn't feasible.
    It doesn't care what circuit you put it on, if its in the same house
    I've always wondered how far out the street the EoP goes

It no doubt prefers the same circuit, but ive had it work over multiple!
    IE: 1 x Sender and 4 x Receivers all on different circuits, then to a WiFi AP in each room

That is what happens when the walls are 600mm solid concrete

If you can get a Data Cable down the other end of the house (through roof or under floor) i'd do that, then deploy your new AP

BTW, i find 5Ghz is not as good as 2.4Mhz for penetration
    Last edited by ol' boy; 31-10-18 at 03:26 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

enf (31-10-18)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

I have a couple of TP Link ones somewhere on my network.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,041 Times in 317 Posts

I use a netgear ex7000 extender and it works a treat. No drop outs and still receives a signal from the Telstra Smart modem 30 metres away through 3 brick walls and pass the kitchen. Trouble is, as oceanboy nailed it, an extender halves your signal because it's using the 2,4 and 5 ghz to communicate with the modem while your devices use the same. Went into Hardly Normals and looked at the Tri band Orbi. It was explained to me the tri band setup means you retain your signal strength because the third band is the one used for communication between your modem and extender leaving the 2.4 and 5 ghz free for your devices. Also, with extenders normally, your SSID for the extender will have the .EXT on your SSID, meaning as you move around the house your device must access either the modem SSID or extender SSID with the .EXT on the end. The tri banders use the same SSID through both the modem and extender so no changing SSID needs to occur and you can move around your house without noticing whether your device is accessing the modem or the extender. Trouble is the tri banders are expensive. Hope I've explained my understanding properly.
    Last edited by Keith; 01-11-18 at 09:44 AM. Reason: ghz instead of gb. doh
    You can learn alot using Google, and the search button.....

• The Following User Says Thank You to Keith For This Useful Post:

enf (31-10-18)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    It doesn't care what circuit you put it on, if its in the same house
    I've always wondered how far out the street the EoP goes

It no doubt prefers the same circuit, but ive had it work over multiple!
    IE: 1 x Sender and 4 x Receivers all on different circuits, then to a WiFi AP in each room

That is what happens when the walls are 600mm solid concrete

If you can get a Data Cable down the other end of the house (through roof or under floor) i'd do that, then deploy your new AP

BTW, i find 5Ghz is not as good as 2.4Mhz for penetration
    My 2.4 reception up the other end is practically non existant. 5ghz gives about a third of the speed. It's not a huge problem, but the missus wants a netbox for tv up there so I have to come up with something.

Premium Member
    Thanks

My 2.4 reception up the other end is practically non existant. 5ghz gives about a third of the speed. It's not a huge problem, but the missus wants a netbox for tv up there so I have to come up with something.
    You should have 2.4 better than 5 ghz. Whilst 5ghz is faster than 2.4, 2.4 has better distance.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    You should have 2.4 better than 5 ghz. Whilst 5ghz is faster than 2.4, 2.4 has better distance.
    That's not what seems to be happening Keith. I have a Huawei modem router from iinet at 2.4. This connects via cable to a dual band router.

Neither 2.4 is anywhere near as strong as the 5ghz at the other end of the house. This runs at about 1/3 strength. I suppose the router should be located more centrally, but there isn't really anywhere convenient. Even though I have all the gear, I'm getting too old, too fat, and physically decrepit to crawl about laying cat6 as well.

Premium Member
    Thanks

That's not what seems to be happening Keith. I have a Huawei modem router from iinet at 2.4. This connects via cable to a dual band router.

Neither 2.4 is anywhere near as strong as the 5ghz at the other end of the house. This runs at about 1/3 strength. I suppose the router should be located more centrally, but there isn't really anywhere convenient. Even though I have all the gear, I'm getting too old, too fat, and physically decrepit to crawl about laying cat6 as well.
    Same here, too old to crawl around in the roof doing cable install. All my readings and playing about with wifi tells me that 2.4 ghz, whilst not as fast as 5 ghz, will travel further. With the 1/3 strength of your 5, this does happen. The further you are from the wifi modem, strength will be reduced. I can't explain why you are getting 5 ghz and no 2.4 ghz. Is is possible your 2.4 ghz is being affected by cordless phones, microwave oven or other things on the 2.4 ghz band?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Same here, too old to crawl around in the roof doing cable install. All my readings and playing about with wifi tells me that 2.4 ghz, whilst not as fast as 5 ghz, will travel further. With the 1/3 strength of your 5, this does happen. The further you are from the wifi modem, strength will be reduced. I can't explain why you are getting 5 ghz and no 2.4 ghz. Is is possible your 2.4 ghz is being affected by cordless phones, microwave oven or other things on the 2.4 ghz band?
    I don't see how...the router is connected via cable. Halfway up the house the loss is minimal. That's where I would put the extender. Still thinking it over....

I might just make a longer lead and see what happens when I centrally place the router....