Thread: What the @#&%$ Duty Freeme

Thanks

Default What the @#&%$ Duty Freeme

Some time back i was going to Thailand from Perth, I Bought a couple of cartons of cigarettes from duty free at the Airport, I said to the girl who served me

just leave them there i will pick them up on the way back, She said no you cant do that because you are only allowed to bring a certain amount of cigarettes

into Australia, I said im not bringing them back they are already here, look there they are on the shelf ????

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

She should have informed you any duty free items purchased in Australia must be taken out of Australia with you.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (04-11-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Not that i'm a smoker
    But they have made the limits so pitiful for smokes now, why even bother!
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

The only way that they are deemed duty free is because they are leaving the country. If you brought them into the country you would have to pay duty on them. Even though they are already "IN" the country, they are deemed as export product and, as such, no duty is payable until it "ENTERS" the country.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks

I assume Duty Free shop post passport check? Then it is out of the country, isn't it?
    The shelf in the shop there is not in Australia.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fromaron View Post
    I assume Duty Free shop post passport check? Then it is out of the country, isn't it?
    The shelf in the shop there is not in Australia.
    There are shops you can purchase from in many other places other than airports.

A good example are retail camera stores that also sell duty free, but the packages are sealed to be presented at customs at departure.

Yes, there are many duty free shops post-passport, but the rule still applies that you MUST take the purchased goods out of the country with you.

Of course any shops that are in any Australian airport are still in Australia, regardless of where they are situated in the airport.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    The only way that they are deemed duty free is because they are leaving the country. If you brought them into the country you would have to pay duty on them. Even though they are already "IN" the country, they are deemed as export product and, as such, no duty is payable until it "ENTERS" the country.

Yes fair enough just thought i would run it buy every one, bye the way the smokes at duty free cost about the same as Coles so what ever way you go your not going to win thanks to the Greedy Govt.

when i looked up cigarettes on the net it appears that Australia is the dearest place in the world to buy smokes.

Premium Member
    Thanks

I love how you will have your 1.5 litre Jamieson Irish Whiskey taken off you at baggage inspection after check in.
    Then walk 30 steps and there is a person in duty free, ready to sell you a bottle Jamieson.

Apparently minimum liquid requirements, don't matter when you're making a sale.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Thanks

I found the actual document outlining duty free operation in Australia.
    The actual answer to OP is below:

4.2.7 Pre-Travel Agreements to Purchase of Goods from Inwards
    Duty-Free Shops
    Some on-airport inwards Duty-free Shops offer relevant travellers the facility of entering
    into an ‘agreement to sell’ goods to a relevant traveller prior to their departure from
    Australia, which allows the collection of those goods upon their arrival into Australia prior
    to the Entry Control Point.
    Duty free legislation requires that the sale must take place in the inwards Duty-free Shop.
    Therefore, up until the time that the relevant traveller takes delivery, the goods are
    deemed to be the property of the Duty-free Shop and should be accounted for and stored
    as any other bonded goods. Additionally, the Duty-free Shop must include a condition in
    their pre-purchase order forms/receipts that states that transfer of ownership or title of
    the goods will only take place upon delivery of the goods to the relevant traveller in the
    inwards Duty-free Shop on their arrival in Australia.
    These “agreements” may occur via the internet, by telephone, facsimile or in person at
    an outwards Duty-free Shop

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    I love how you will have your 1.5 litre Jamieson Irish Whiskey taken off you at baggage inspection after check in.
    Then walk 30 steps and there is a person in duty free, ready to sell you a bottle Jamieson.

Apparently minimum liquid requirements, don't matter when you're making a sale.
    Is there also a Jamieson Irish Whiskey??
    I still got almost a third in my Jameson bottle.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

Duty Free shops are a well known rip off for most items , the only bargains you would get there is maybe some grog or the odd perfume. If its on special i'll buy my usual JW Red in the outbound and pick it up inbound. Saves me the hassle of buying it inbound if i'm in a hurry to get to a transfer or something.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

you can get caught out taking grog out of the country. Flew Royal Brunei and had a stopover there and had to hand over my bottle! Couldn't get it back when I reboarded. You went through security getting off the plane but you are still in the departure terminal. Wasn't happy.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    you can get caught out taking grog out of the country. Flew Royal Brunei and had a stopover there and had to hand over my bottle! Couldn't get it back when I reboarded. You went through security getting off the plane but you are still in the departure terminal. Wasn't happy.
    Had that happen also
    I've given up on buying Duty Free now, waste of time and money.

Maybe when you land back in Oz, but essentially, its nothing special anymore

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

I only buy now on the last leg home like Dubai. Still cheaper than Oz airports.

• The Following User Says Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

VroomVroom (06-11-18)