Thread: Ford BA with no Heat. How To Fix?

Thanks

Default Ford BA with no Heat. How To Fix?

Ford BA station wagon.

Got lovely air cooling but no heating.

I have read a couple of old threads and seen the suggestion that it is a plastic rod costing about $500 in mechanical work to get the dash out to fix

and/or

it is a hose somewhere down the bottom left of the engine that has come adrift.

I'm not at all sure after reading all that which is the real situation.

Can anyone clear that up for me, please?

p.s. and how come I'm sitting there with the engine off and the ignition off and I hear clicks and whirrs and something moving there behind the dash? Is that normal or a clear indication there's something drastically wrong with the old girl?
    Last edited by abrogard; 08-11-18 at 07:31 AM.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 835 Posts

I had the same issue in my ba falcon with the heater and my mechanic said without looking that it would be that clip/peg/rod.

Being in Perth, I just wore long sleeves in winter

Got quoted the same price from memory. Stupid bloody plastic clip...

Thanks

O.K. I'm in Adelaide. Gets a bit chillier. But I can handle it. I actually thought for the last year or more that I didn't have any airconditioning at all but went to NT last week and found the cold was working beautifully. That made me try out the heater when I got back down here, hoping for another pleasant surprise.

No luck.

But okay, so I've got one out of two when I expected nothing. That'll do.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,053 Times in 3,334 Posts

IIRC there is a vacuum operated valve in the heater hose (in the engine compartment) that does fail. IF you find that and can temporarily bypass it then you can prove the rest of the system. I haven't had a Falcon since the EL so can't be more specific.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks

Thanks for that. Took a look and it looks like I'd need to get the front wheels off and lift it up, get under. Not sure if I'm going to go to that trouble.

Those old threads I read said something about a noise when switched on but engine not running meaning something. Well I get a noise of motors whirring, something moving, when I have it switched on and I move the temp control switch around from cold to hot - bit by bit, motor noise at each move.

Premium Member
    Thanks

There was no noise with my car when using the heater, it just didn't work. Like you, the aircon was icy cold.
    My mechanic said from memory he could get the heater to run all the time much more cheaply but that wasn't a good option.

Thanks

That's interesting. Sounds like there's a way to wire it up so's it'll run all the time. If that's right then those wires brought inside with a switch included would allow an on off control at the least.

Perhaps not very elegant but maybe useful. The old car's deteriorating anyway, getting 'a bit rough' here and there.

Bonnet catch thing broke off like they do on BA's. Don't want to pay for fitting a new one so it's just tucked up underneath behind the dash.

One wing mirror got lifted up by passing over a shopping trolley in the supermarket parking and it won't sit down again. The other wing mirror got yanked nearly off - again in the supermarket parking - and is held tight to the car now by a strip of duct tape.

The door locks haven't worked for more than a year.

The cruise control never worked since buying it (second hand).

Now the heating doesn't work.

And, latest, the air direction buttons don't work.

She's slowly turning into a wreck. They cost too much to fix these days.

But she ran up to the Territory and back last week without a hitch.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,053 Times in 3,334 Posts

Permanently turn heat on, is not just a matter of modifying some wiring, WHat the mechanic probably did was bypass the valve that turns the water to the heater on. All car heating does is diverts some of the coolant going to the radiator to a smaller "radiator" under the dash. To turn the heat off, it just turns the water supply off.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Apparently the Heater/AC elements sit in a box and air is channeled over one or the other.
    I dont know if this is a spring loaded control and set for say the A/C by default but its a common fault and the whole dash/steering wheel etc has to be removed and my Son was quoted $800 as a base figure.
    I was on the understanding there are no taps on the How Water lines, the exchanger runs water through it at all times.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    Permanently turn heat on, is not just a matter of modifying some wiring, WHat the mechanic probably did was bypass the valve that turns the water to the heater on. All car heating does is diverts some of the coolant going to the radiator to a smaller "radiator" under the dash. To turn the heat off, it just turns the water supply off.
    Yes it had nothing to wiring, it was a mechanical fix rather than electrical.

Thanks

Same issue here with a FG, it’s the air mixing rod.
    Mine is slightly different as I have dual zone, so heating works on the drivers but not the passengers, grrrrr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I have a feeling the problem is the same and the cost will be around 'Both Arms and a Leg' to fix.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!