Thread: wifi extender

Premium Member
    Thanks

Default wifi extender

Hi I need advice , I have power meter box on a pole , shed been wired to the meter box , transportable building has been wired to meter box , transportable has satellite internet I want to be able to get internet in shed , can I use those wifi extenders that plug in to power points and use elect wires to carry signal or do shed and transportable need to be on the same wires/circuit . thanks for any advice
    Last edited by wazza811; 13-11-18 at 07:31 AM.

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Wazza,

I've moved your thread to 'networking' as it's what you are wanting to do... share a network.

Ethernet over power should work, providing both ends are connected to the same power phase.

If that's not possible, a wireless link is a solution.

Even a wireless router which has provision for an external antenna and wireless modem with external antenna at the other end may work fine, depending on the distance between the two buildings.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Default wifi extender

Hi mtv the distance to the shed is about 30 meters , I thought doing the power extender would be the easier option and hopefully the cheapest

Thanks

Or you can just opt for more powerful wi-fi device.

Thanks

I have almost the same problem but in my case, I need a wifi extender that works with electricity flux. Actually due to the electricity pole which is near my house my wifi signal not be strong and modem not work properly on long range. Can you please suggest me any good wifi extender.

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

Default please explain

Quote Originally Posted by johnmike69 View Post
    I have almost the same problem but in my case, I need a wifi extender that works with electricity flux. Actually due to the electricity pole which is near my house my wifi signal not be strong and modem not work properly on long range. Can you please suggest me any good wifi extender.
    this dont make sense ??????

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wazza811 View Post
    Hi I need advice , I have power meter box on a pole , shed been wired to the meter box , transportable building has been wired to meter box , transportable has satellite internet I want to be able to get internet in shed , can I use those wifi extenders that plug in to power points and use elect wires to carry signal or do shed and transportable need to be on the same wires/circuit . thanks for any advice
    Take note your shed & transportable building will not be on the same circuit so this means early type power wifi extenders will not work however some later type wifi with better technology will work on different circuits so do your home work carefully when choosing one of these.

Cheers

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

My recommendation would be to run cat6 out to the shed and install a repeater in there, Extending wifi by using a signal boost will only work reliably if there is nothing much, especially metal, in the way. EOP can also be an issue if you have circuit breakers, meters, different feeds and so on. I have a steel shed converted to a rumpus room that is only about 5 meters from my modem and the only way I can get a reliable signal in there is by virtue of the fact that I have cat5 run from the modem to a repeater in the shed.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    My recommendation would be to run cat6 out to the shed and install a repeater in there,l.
    Definitely the way to go. However you only a wireless access point at the end of the cable, not a repeater. If you have it set up in repeater mode it will likely be halving your bandwidth.

• The Following User Says Thank You to peteramjet For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (09-02-19)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Thanks Peter, well spotted.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member
    Thanks

Hi has anyone got one of these Wifi Xtender and does it work , its supposed to be very good going by there web site

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wazza811 View Post
    Just use a old router would be you cheapest option.

On eBay I bought a D7 tp-link router for $1 bid, which is ac1700 - I use old routers as either a ethernet switch or wifi repeater to boost the signal across my house and into the bungalow.

For best speeds, use a ethernet cord (add extra protective covering for bad weather) and lead it out into the other building (don't pay more than 30 for 50m) - then use an old router to turn it into a switch, then into your devices or just convert to wifi repeater.

You might be able to use a powerline device if they both share the same power infrastructure but more expensive than what I provided.