Thread: no singal via apartment aerial

Thanks

Default HELP?!?! can't get singal via apartment aerial

Hi everyone

I just bought a cheap Kworld DVB-T100 pci TV card and can't get any signal through the wall plate antenna. I can pick up some FTA channels with the mini antenna. I live in an apartment and there is a F screw on socket.

I have tried using a coax to coax cable with a female coax and male F screw on adapter. I have also tried RG6 quad shield cable with F58 plugs at each end with a female F socket and male coax adapter. Still no signal.

Are there some incompatibility issues?
    Could anyone help me because I would like to get all the FTA channels through the aerial?
    Also, I would like to mention I have opened up the wall plate and there are two cables, one thick one I'm guessing its for cable and one thinner one I'm guessing its for FTA. The thinner one is the one that's connected to the wall plate.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by senszn; 25-09-08 at 02:31 AM.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

For starters connect a normal TV LCD Plasma whatever and establish if the signal is at the wall plate.

Thanks

i would connect your antenna to a normal tv like jack frost said. If your still having troubles then its an antenna problem (or coaxial problem) if it all works fine then i would say it is the pci card for your computer.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

senszn,

If the apartment complex uses a common antenna (MATV) it may not have the digital channel distribution amplifiers installed, only ones for the analogue channels.

This is a very common problem with large TV distribution systems.

The wall outlet (being an F type) may also only be connected to pay TV (cable or satellite) and not a FTA antenna. The two cables is a bit of a mystery, given that they are of different sizes.... perhaps enquire with the building management?

The fact you can receive some channels with the tiny antenna supplied with your tuner indicates the tuner is working and that it's a signal issue from the apartment antenna/cabling/distribution system.

The tiny antennas supplied with card/USB tuners are pretty useless.

Where in Sydney are you?

Are you receiving the main VHF transmitters from Artarmon/Willoughby, or the UHF translators at Kings Cross or Manly? If you are not sure, check the frequencies of the channels you have tuned.

If you have no success with the building antenna, a standard indoor antenna (eg: rabbit ears) may work.

Thanks

Thanks Everyone

Asked the building manager and he told me that there is no digital antenna in the building. He told me to get a signal booster or something.

I finally got myself a HDTV and since there is no digital in the building I'm just using the mini antenna that came with my TV card.

I live in St Leonards (next to Artarmon) in an apartment quite high up. Thinking of getting rabbit ears to pick up all the FTA channels.
    Any suggestions on what to look for. I've seen some antennas with amplifiers, I guess this is better than an antenna without.

Also, want to split the signal from the antenna to my HDTV and also TV card, so won't have to keep switching the antenna. Would this weaken the signal? What other device would I need?

Cheers

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 958 Posts

I used to live at McMahon's point, on the Eighteenth floor, in Sydney, on the waters edge under the Harbour bridge,

with a window that faced the 3 transmitting towers, (7 &10), (2 & SBS), & (9)

all I did was put a "curly wire" indoor antenna in the window & I had the best reception I ever saw,

no Amplifier should be needed, if you have direct sight of the TV towers.
    Last edited by OSIRUS; 27-05-10 at 11:32 PM.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Administrator
    Thanks

Most importantly, do not use any kind of amplifier, as the signals in your area are extremely strong already..... (close proximity to the transmitters).

A basic indoor antenna eg:

Should work ok.

You will need a 2-way splitter and cables for the two receivers.

Yes, a splitter will reduce the signal, but there will still be heaps.

Make sure you use good quality cables... eg: RG6 Quadshield.

If you have reception problems, it will most likely be from the very strong signals bouncing around the room causing bit errors.

Try the indoor antenna first.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

senszn (28-05-10)

Thanks

thanks for the advice

I noticed that antenna doesn't say "digital", I guess it won't be a problem.

It is quite ugly I'll probably go for the cheaper one and it looks better i reckon

Any disadvantages?

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by senszn View Post
    thanks for the advice

I noticed that antenna doesn't say "digital", I guess it won't be a problem.

It is quite ugly I'll probably go for the cheaper one and it looks better i reckon

Any disadvantages?
    No antenna shown on the link you posted... just the DSE Homepage.

Antennas of any kind will receive either analogue or digital on frequencies they are designed for (providing there's sufficient signal of course).

The advantage of the antenna link I posted is the UHF section (small horizontal elements) is that it usually performs better than many other indoor antennas on UHF channels. eg: SBS and TVS.

From your location, other types of (non-amplified) indoor antennas may work equally as well.

There's only one way to find out.

Thanks

went out and bought the antenna you suggested on the link, picture is clear most of the times, Channel 9HD sometimes has problems picking up reception, then when I position the antenna to pick up channel 9, channel 10 stops working. One odd thing is on DVBviewer when I run a channel scan, channel 9 doesn't pick up at all but NBN does. In summary, picture is clear when it picks up reception.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by senszn View Post
    In summary, picture is clear when it picks up reception.
    That's the nature of digital....

Perfect, breaking up or nothing at all.