Thread: Very smooth flying

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Default Very smooth flying

Science here dead since over a month, so I thought I would post this:

The principle is old:

however:
    Recent research suggests electrohydrodynamic propulsion is more energy efficient (per unit) than other means of propulsion, generating up to 100N of thrust per kilowatt of power, compared to 2 N/kW for jet engines.This is mainly due to the much lower air speed of an ionocraft vs a jet engine, as power requirement per unit mass of payload drops with air velocity. However this also means the ionocraft needs a much wider surface area to lift the same payload.
    This is the first time an actual aircraft is flying with it.

I like the comparison with the Wright brothers, even though nobody is flying inside it ...yet.

Speed seems to be limiting factor but who knows where this could lead one day.
    I bet Wright Bros were not exactly envisioning the Concorde back then either.

Edit: Well that was a surprise. I had the link open a while in the Nature website(only abstract) when suddenly a new page opened and gave free access to the full article that normally costs $8.99.
    I don't know if it works for you guys. I switched my VPN to a different country and opened in a different browser with cleared cache and it still worked:

Now I know how to build one

On closer inspection it appears that an abc referral had something to do with it
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 22-11-18 at 06:29 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

allover (22-11-18),carjackma (23-11-18),hinekadon (23-11-18)

Look Here ->
    Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

now with the adaption of a tesla coil the worlds on freedom, very good articule no meat congratulations

• The Following User Says Thank You to hinekadon For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (23-11-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks

There were claims and hopes that this 'lifter technology' could produce thrust in a vacuum but testing proved otherwise last I heard about NASA investigation into the principle. EHV applied across an air gap exposed to atmospheric variability would seem to be a precarious situation at the best of times (pollution, moisture content etc) if relying on it to keep a flimsy aircraft flying. There have been some hints of military applications to reduce wing leading edge turbulence though.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Skepticist For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (23-11-18),lsemmens (23-11-18),Uncle Fester (23-11-18),william10 (23-11-18)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skepticist View Post

There were claims and hopes that this 'lifter technology' could produce thrust in a vacuum but testing proved otherwise last I heard about NASA investigation into the principle. EHV applied across an air gap exposed to atmospheric variability would seem to be a precarious situation at the best of times (pollution, moisture content etc) if relying on it to keep a flimsy aircraft flying. There have been some hints of military applications to reduce wing leading edge turbulence though.
    No thrust in vacuum possible as there is no matter accelerate.
    Ionic drives in space rely on carrying the mass to thrust on board which is of course lost.

Yes, water droplets 'shorting' out the electrodes would seem to be a major problem. Thick cloud and rain would be a no fly zone unless they could manage to ionise the water and thrust that.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 23-11-18 at 06:20 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

Skepticist (24-11-18)