Thread: DVB-T Modulator Selection

Thanks

Default DVB-T Modulator Selection

Im wondering if anybody has had much luck with budget priced DVB-T modulators since they have dropped in costs?
    This is for my home set up so an affordable choice would be great. All my TV's can support MPEG-4 input but from what I read MPEG-2 will suffice but please correct me if wrong or a better way known. Ch9 HD Regional can be viewed on all TV's. I have reasonable good understanding of distribution.

I would like to convert the HDMI output of a Blu Ray Player (for example) into a digital RF that I can combine with my normal FTA system but allow IR to be returned to the Blu-ray device.
    My goal is to have the Blu-ray player in a central position and each of my 3 bedrooms to have only a single coax to each TV in each room. I would like to control the Blu-ray player from any of these rooms.
    I understand I would need a separate IR module in each room and 1 at the player. Can this IR be returned through the coax?
    If it helps with pricing I do not require HDMI loop.

Can somebody recommend a good but well priced set up?

Look Here ->
    Thanks

If you are up to speed with the latest technology, blue ray can be streaming via bluetooth or Wifi to ALL your "smart TV's"

Nowadays I don't use the RF spectrum to get local tv channels. Live channels APP does it.
    Last edited by B52; 28-11-18 at 11:15 AM.

Thanks

Blu-ray was just an example of possible input. It could even end up being a PC for Netflix/ FoxGo or NVR from CCTV.
    By inputting it back int Antenna signal it can be viewed on more than one TV.

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

They are expensive. Google showed a few and this one looks like good value.......

__________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

hdmi via cat6 extenders work very well if thats an option.......

hdmi to dvb-t cheaper here.......

Last edited by hoe; 28-11-18 at 12:11 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to hoe For This Useful Post:

porkop (28-11-18)

Thanks

Cheaper here

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carjackma View Post
    Cheaper here

now that is good value.......

Thanks

Those modulators are much cheaper. May play with one of these where I do not require IR return.
    Still looking for a Modulator which will do IR return from multiple rooms. Heading to ACE tomorrow. Always good for Knowledge.

Thanks

Hi there.

Have installed a few of these over the past few years.
    They work well - Can select which Logical Channel Number on your TV it will use, and also Name the Channel, adjust Dbuv Output Levels + a few other bits and pieces.
    Not bad for what they cost..

See :

Cheers:

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rentakill View Post
    Hi there.

They work well - Can select which Logical Channel Number on your TV it will use, and also Name the Channel, adjust Dbuv Output Levels + a few other bits and pieces.

See :

Cheers:
    Just confirming... so this definitely takes HDMI input and DVB-T modulates RF out?

Thanks

I think that's what I'm after and very well priced. I've given up on the IR feedback as these start at over $400. Ill just walk into the other room and select the channel first.

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

Maybe a long way round but I use a CAT5 distribution for the video/audio out of my foxtel box. It has IR return and works very well. If you do need HDMI, why not go for a HDMI to video/audio option then feed that output into the cheaper CAT5 distribution for video and audio.
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

Thanks

I have just had a play with the above unit Carjackma recommended and what a ripper. Perfect modulation and crystal clear. Mind you it was a small set up on the bench at home but this weekend I plan to run some cables and back feed it into my antenna system. For the moment I will be back feeding a HDMI out from my PC (netflix) but if this works like I think it will then I can buy another module, set it on a separate channel and back feed my CCTV as well. Should only need a single antenna cable to each TV and view everything as its own dedicated TV channel.

• The Following User Says Thank You to statesmanjeff For This Useful Post:

carjackma (30-01-19)

Thanks

I have had this modulator for quite a while now and its brilliant. It will re distribute absolutely everything I throw at it from my CCTV system, blue ray, and my PC, and all into my antenna system so I can view it from any room in the house just by simply selecting The channel on that TV, but there is 1 problem. Fuxtel. I use Fuxtel GO to watch FUXTEL when at home. My decoder is at work in my office as i am there 90% of the time. When i go home I watch it on my PC and can be viewed on my PC perfectly. Everything I watch on my PC can be redistributed throughout the house with the modulator flawlessly. I can watch pre-recorded movies to the modulator as well as you tube and other sites and all through a normal browser then through the modulator on any tv in the house but the second I try to send the picture from FUXTEL GO to the modulator or from the browser to the modulator, there is a black screen. I have also tried the CHROME browser method and same thing. I know it is due to a form of HDCP encryption stopping it from being viewed on an external monitor. I am not trying to do anything I shouldn't or haven't paid for.. I just want to put my PC in a central location and view it in any room via my modulator rather than dragging the decoder from work to home each day.. I appreciate possible suggestions but I am more looking for a solution. I think it will come down to the brand and model modulator. There are Fuxtel approved modulators out there but will they work with GO? Has anyone played with a HDCP stripper device. From what I am reading the HDCP is my issue. Is there anyone currently playing with one of these HDCP Strippers?
    Last edited by statesmanjeff; 09-02-20 at 01:05 AM.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,096 Times in 424 Posts

I've never played with a stripper (the HDMI kind anyway lol!) but I have had success using stock standard HDMI splitters. A lot of them remove the HDCP part of the signal successfully. If you have one lying around give it a go!

| www.SatTVGuide.com.au |

Volunteer, non-profit online TV guides for VAST viewers.

Thanks

Rentakill,
    You mentioned that you have installed a few of these before. Is there a delay in the processing of the HDMI input to the DVB-T output?
    Im slowly weeding out little problems as i go and still happy witgh my choice to DVB-T modulate everything. Turns out that my earlier issue was not HDCP at all but a very intelligent protocol built into browsers to eliminate Casting with out paying for it. You can have Fuxtel go and watch it on certain devices but if you want to cast it from your phone to your TV then you need to pay extra for the cast ability so i'm back to the DVB-T problems. My above modulator that im using is terrific but there is a 2 second delay between the input to the output. When i move my mouse i need to wait 2 seconds for the display to show the change. Did you find a delay with your type?

Quote Originally Posted by Rentakill View Post
    Hi there.

See :

Cheers:

Thanks

Hi Statesmanjeff

With regard to a delay - Yes. There is about a 1-2 Second delay when comparing the Source Video to the Converted DTT on another Set.
    Im figuring that's just the time it takes to process and convert from HDMI to DTT.
    Its no biggy for Us.

HDCP I haven't had any problems with either.
    I initially had the Modulator running via our MySkyHDi box - which is the equivalent to your Fuxtell IQ2 which ran well.
    For the past few years I have been using the Modulator via my Vu+Duo2.
    The thing I like about the Satlink is the ability to actually Name the Channel and select a Logical Channel Number that you want it to use.
    Eg - For my Skybox - the DTT channel comes up as Sky Digital and uses Channel 0 on every Set.

If I was going to re-invest in another Modulator, id probably look at a Multi Input Type.
    That's the only thing I miss.
    My original Modulator was a Channel Plus Quad Input Analog UHF Modulator that ran flawlessly and allowed me to run a few Satellite boxes into it - which supplied a few neighbours.

Im keeping an eye out for a good Quad DTT Mod.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Ren

• The Following User Says Thank You to Rentakill For This Useful Post:

statesmanjeff (31-03-20)