Thread: MOSFET power amplifier repair -biasing issues

Thanks

Default MOSFET power amplifier repair -biasing issues

Hi!

A good mate of mine has a MOSFET power amp he is currently repairing.

He has re-capped the amplifier modules and is trying to set the biasing (should be measured as 100mv across a biasing resistor when cold and 300Mv when warm according to the MFR)

Once he has set the bias correctly, it remains stable for a short time and then begins to fluctuate wildly - it seems to drift way off as soon as things start to warm up and then the extra biasing starts to warm things up further etc....

I have suggested that he try checking or replacing the zenners and small signal diodes and transistors, but is there anything else that anyone here has seen as a common cause of this kind of behaviour? Again, all of the electrolytic caps have been replaced, but there are a number of tantalum/poly caps too....

The rails remain stable and the power supply is a large transformer not a SMPS.

The amp in question is an ashly ftx2001 SERIES 3 .... i can get hold of the schematic if you are able to assist or suggest something else to check.

Thanks for any suggestions or advice!

CHEERS!

Look Here ->
    Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

ok method wrong for checking , first put ampmeter into supply rail ,short input to allow no noise . turn off bias to each fet then indivually lift each one to same level . All mosfets are different and require different bias , as per mfr specs do you know what i mean ? cheers don

• The Following User Says Thank You to hinekadon For This Useful Post:

knight2001dts (08-12-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,147 Times in 1,058 Posts

Check Q17 the VBE Multiplier. 2N4125. Make shure it is in good thermal contact with the heatsink.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Reschs For This Useful Post:

knight2001dts (08-12-18)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by knight2001dts View Post
    but there are a number of tantalum/poly caps too....

CHEERS!
    That deadly word in red could be your problem.
    Ditch them all and replace with ceramic or poly if possible. You can get small ceramic up to 10µF, just watch the voltage rating.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 05-12-18 at 01:02 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (05-12-18),knight2001dts (08-12-18)

Thanks

Quote (should be measured as 100mv across a biasing resistor when cold and 300Mv when warm according to the MFR)

1.5mv cold and 3.0mv warm according to circuit. The values you quoted would easily explain your problem.
    What was the original fault ?

knight2001dts (08-12-18)

Banned

Thanks

oops sorry i misunderstood thought he had replaced mosfets reschs seems to be on the case but as with all mosfets the bias is set by current not by voltage but to read current they take a shortcut and give you a voltage across a resistor and as a result the bias changes with the supply to the source .In your case i would short the input out and see what gets hot over time shorting the input is critical to getting correct levels . Nomeat is correct those sneaky tants can sneak up on you so replace them definitely poly is a good choice if its running to any extent it is unlikely to be a semiconductor / but dry temp paste can cause problems with thermal runaway as resches suggested regards don

knight2001dts (08-12-18)

Thanks

Hi!

Thanks to everyone for your input and I’ll start by correcting my figures (was going from memory) - 1.5mV and 3.0mV are the correct biasing voltages taken across a resistor at the biasing pins which represent 100mA and 300mA respectively.....

I was wondering about those pesky tantalum caps myself as have had issues with a few in the past - will get him to change those out, and an awesome tip re:Q17

Will investigate further!

He has a good amp as well, so I’m able to swap parts out to try theory pretty easily....he’s just lazy!!!!!

Hinekadon- I would love some more info on your method of biasing please?

To turn off each mosfet would be done by desoldering the gate pins from all of the power mosfets and leaving only one soldered onto the pcb? Or did I get that wrong?

This is a common gate amp and I assume that the mosfets are matched so that they all use the same bias current?

Learned this stuff 25yrs ago and quite rusty on my theory - please be kind lol

Thanks

Will also get him to try shorting the input and monitor - great suggestion!!

Thanks

Looking at the circuit, I do not see anywhere a Tantalum would be used in the main part of the amplifier.
    There are two types.
    1 Bead. Yes a problem. Because no one reads the specs on how they should be used.
    2 Solid. No problems.

knight2001dts (08-12-18)

Thanks

Thanks Reschs!

Looks like I got some bad intel there re:tantalum caps...

Hopefully one less thing it might be.

I’m going to try and grab the amp from him so I can have a look and not have to do the Chinese whispers thing :P

Cheers!!

Thanks

The 10N16 and 10P16 FETS behave the same as normal transistors with a positive temperature coefficient and are even more subject to thermal runaway.
    The Original Hitachi Mosfets, used in amplifiers, had a negative temperature coefficient and were self controlling.
    Correct biasing is crucial. The bias needs to be adjusted from zero after no less than 10 mins and final after no less than 30 mins.
    Not saying you do not have another issue.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reschs For This Useful Post:

knight2001dts (08-12-18),tristen (07-12-18)

Banned

Thanks

Default yep

thats basically correct , each added fet is the same added bias to the total current draw short the input means no signal so no amp current only the quiescent current of the operating circuit when you start with no fets connected thats the quiescent current join one fet add 100ma , two fets 200ma total added.and so on if you come across massive jump in current thats where the problem is . is this clear enough for you , cos im ratshit at explaining my methods regards don

knight2001dts (08-12-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hinekadon View Post
    thats basically correct , each added fet is the same added bias to the total current draw short the input means no signal so no amp current only the quiescent current of the operating circuit when you start with no fets connected thats the quiescent current join one fet add 100ma , two fets 200ma total added.and so on if you come across massive jump in current thats where the problem is . is this clear enough for you , cos im ratshit at explaining my methods regards don
    100ma per pair of FETS is for the old HITACHI FETS only. It was necessary to achieve the negative temperature coefficient.
    The FETS here only require 10 to 20ma per pair.

knight2001dts (08-12-18),tristen (07-12-18)

Thanks

Hi and thanks again for the info....

So in an amp such as the earlier FET2000 series Ashly’s that uses 4 pairs of the Hitachi devices (2SJ50 and 2SK135), the bias current would be approx 400mA?

If the FTX series amps have 4 pairs of the 10n16 and 10p16’s - how come they need 150-300mA of bias current if they only need 10-20mA per pair? (That works out at only 40-80mA)

Cheers!

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,106 Times in 490 Posts

Fault finding on any DC stabilised amp can be a hideously tedious process. The fact that the issue is thermally induced can only point to an active device rather than any passives.
    Don't rule out the input stage as it does determine the overall output and offset bias. The image below may help to lift the curtain (so to speak) on circuit topology.
    Unless you want to try the hairdryer and freezer technique, this is a check by replacement task.

"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." - Issac Asimov

• The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TVguy For This Useful Post:

ammlione (04-01-19),hinekadon (10-12-18),knight2001dts (04-01-19),LeroyPatrol (09-12-18),tristen (10-12-18),Uncle Fester (09-12-18)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TVguy View Post
    Unless you want to try the hairdryer and freezer technique, this is a check by replacement task.
    LOL, since I discovered the use of freeze spray for car Aircons and the cost of the bloody stuff these days I have abandoned that practice.
    Today I just reduce my soldering tip to a bit less than 200˚C and place it on the individual components.
    That way I know exactly which one does what thermally, especially when everything is so closely spaced.

Looking at that circuit the zeners D22 D23 and D25 D26 might be the first components I would place my tip on.

DAYOR warning... yes under power, so skilled and not shaky(shorting) placing please.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 09-12-18 at 10:47 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (10-12-18),knight2001dts (04-01-19),tristen (10-12-18),TVguy (10-12-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by knight2001dts View Post
    Hi and thanks again for the info....

So in an amp such as the earlier FET2000 series Ashly’s that uses 4 pairs of the Hitachi devices (2SJ50 and 2SK135), the bias current would be approx 400mA?

If the FTX series amps have 4 pairs of the 10n16 and 10p16’s - how come they need 150-300mA of bias current if they only need 10-20mA per pair? (That works out at only 40-80mA)

Cheers!
    The 100mA per pair for the Hitachi's was to put them in negative temperature co-efficient.
    The newer FET's do not have this feature and behave exactly like transistors and are prone to thermal runaway.
    A lot of designers were not up on this and created problems for themselves.
    In this case the designer has taken this on board and provided Q17 as a thermal sensing VBE Multiplier to compensate. Hence the importance of good thermal contact with the heatsink.
    The choice of such a high quiescent current could either be a mistake or a serious overkill to achieve low distortion.

hinekadon (10-12-18),knight2001dts (04-01-19)

Thanks

Thanks again to all for your input and help - just back from a short break so will be getting hold of the amp to take a look myself

Will try a few things like the zeners first (he had metered them but not substituted)

Cheers!