Thread: Victorian Drug Crims Could Get Released With Compensation

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,963 Times in 9,059 Posts

Default Victorian Drug Crims Could Get Released With Compensation

Only in Victoria.............sigh! I hope it doesn't happen....

Vic crims could get compo over cop source

By Kaitlyn Offer And Andrew Drummond
    Australian Associated Press
    23 minutes ago December 6, 2018

Some of Victoria's worst crooks could get massive taxpayer-funded payouts for wrongful convictions in the fallout from the police lawyer-informant scandal.

Premier Daniel Andrews on Thursday admitted a royal commission into the use of the turncoat lawyer who informed on clients during Melbourne's bloody gang war, could see drug dealers handed cash and their sentences overturned.

"No one I think is happy to be even contemplating the notion of having to see people walk free let alone walk free with a compensation cheque," he told reporters.

"I'm making no judgement on their conduct, but as a matter of law if you are wrongly convicted in that strictly legal sense because evidence used to secure your conviction was not appropriately sourced ... then regardless of the crime you've committed you may well be eligible for a compensation payment."

The government is looking interstate for two commissioners to head the $7.5 million inquiry.

The terms of reference will be finalised once they are appointed but the royal commission will examine how many convictions are affected, what changes are needed to make sure it does not happen again, and a framework to process clemency claims and compensation.

Victoria's police chief Graham Ashton is also facing increased scrutiny over what he knew about the use of the lawyer as an informant, whose identity cannot be revealed.

Mr Ashton on Thursday said police integrity has not been damaged by the scandal and that he will liaise with commissioners ahead of the probe.

"When they're appointed I'm keen to talk with that person about the manner in which Vic Pol would respond to the inquiry," he told ABC radio.

"Certainly one of the questions I'll be saying is 'do you want me to excuse myself from any sort of line responsibility?' ... And if the royal commissioner thinks that's appropriate, absolutely I'll do that."

Mr Ashton acknowledged the seriousness of the lawyer's role as an informant between 2005 and 2009, but said the matter is not his top priority.

"It's absolutely not the biggest part of what I need to do over the next 12 months.

"I don't think the integrity of Vic Pol, given these issues occurred when they did long ago, doesn't mean the integrity of Vic Pol today is tarnished.

"People know that today ... our policies around this area are a lot different to what they were 15 years ago."

Mr Ashton said there have already been up to six inquiries into this matter.

Drug lord Tony Mokbel, jailed for decades, is among a number of clients of the unnamed lawyer, identified in documents released on Monday.

He and others could be eligible to challenge their convictions based on confirmation that police used the lawyer to gather evidence.

Victoria's Supreme Court told AAP there have been no appeals lodged since Monday by any criminal on the list revealed in court documents.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Look Here ->
    LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Sadly, there is supposed to be something as lawyer/client privilege, this lawyer is guilty of subverting justice and, should be held to account. The crooks who, in probably all cases, should have been locked up for a Looong time are the beneficiaries of this almighty stuff up. You can't blame the government for this, the fault lies squarely with the lawyer who felt it appropriate to violate their client's trust.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

Exactly. It is something that simply should never happen and is a stain on the legal profession. The lawyer and all involved should be locked up.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 813 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DB44 View Post
    Exactly. It is something that simply should never happen and is a stain on the legal profession. The lawyer and all involved should be locked up.
    What....................you mean ANOTHER and BIGGER stain than they already have ????

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

This is rock bottom stuff. It is not dissimilar to a Doctor setting out to deliberately harm a patient at the request of some 3rd party. Lawyers, like many other professions, are now held in low esteem by many, and deservedly so. But this sort of behaviour is a betrayal of trust at the most basic of levels. To adapt a joke employee appraisal, with this the profession has reached rock bottom and started digging!
    Last edited by DB44; 06-12-18 at 06:42 PM.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Most politicians are lawyers......groan..
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Vic Pol looking very bad
    And that women is a walking dead person
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

Sometimes the ends justifies the means!
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by porkop View Post
    yep be a bigger piece if sh!t more than the piece if sh!t your trying to catch sounds legit !.

or does it sound like corruption.
    rules are there for a reason breaking them makes all police look like garbage catching garbage.

• The Following User Says Thank You to eeprommemory For This Useful Post:

bob_m_54 (07-12-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Hope for their sake the lawyer has already left the country, changed their name, had plastic surgery to change their appearance and is now living in a small village with no internet, radio or TV in the Mountains of Nepal with the Monks or they won't be living anywhere much longer.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by porkop View Post
    Geee, porkop, that's rarely true. Especially in this case as they could be free and with compensation for what seems like little more than police incompetence AT BEST.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

bob_m_54 (07-12-18)

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

Default both sides

For corruption to occur there has to be two or more party,s involved!!!!! one definitley a lawyer I wonder WHO was the other party ,And did they wear a blue suit ????

Premium Member

Thanks

An easy solution, just use the boat people method
    Move them all offshore for processing. I hear the
    Philippines handle drug dealers pretty well...just a suggestion

• The Following User Says Thank You to gamve For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (08-12-18)