Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Changing Jobs

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,106 Times in 490 Posts

Default Thoughts on Changing Jobs

Curious as to how members feel about changing jobs? Currently in a position that is stable and safe; however, there is no opportunity for advancement or any pay increase even approaching CPI.
    I'm no kid and this would burn a bridge and may not work out for me. I know someone who has worked there for years and he sings their praises.
    I was basically headhunted and the pay is close to $18k more per annum. It is a new industry for me that will push me out of my comfort zone (although I do have some experience).
    Should I stay or should I go? Bloody difficult call to make. The old heads embedded at my current workplace let me do much of the heavy lifting, and they will only leave in a box.
    Anxiety levels are higher than ever as I have serious commitments, and need some certainty. Perhaps, this is what employers rely upon to hold on to older staff.
    Need to make the call by Friday. BTW, I nailed the interview and they basically offered me the job the same day. It shouldn't be this hard; second guessing is no fun at all!

Cheers
    "The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." - Issac Asimov

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

You only get 1 life
    Sounds like in your mind you'd already like to go... It is only some nerves holding you back.

No such thing as loyalty anymore (well apart from some rare cases)
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

TVguy (10-12-18)

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

dont be shy have a try ,nothing ventured, nothing gained , you will get a new vitality for life go for it mate

• The Following User Says Thank You to hinekadon For This Useful Post:

TVguy (10-12-18)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,964 Times in 9,060 Posts

All depends on so many personal factors...financial and otherwise.

Unique feelings those, leaving a long time job, and taking on a new one! Pretty exciting and REALLY interesting.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

TVguy (10-12-18)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

I'd say go for it. If you are confident, and honest about your abilities (to yourself and others), then there will be absolutely no issue finding something else if this particular job turns out to be not all it's cracked up to be. I've only had one day of unemployment in my life, and that, only because I told my new employer that I was finishing a day later than I was. Otherwise he'd have been waiting for me when I got home. (he did that to me on another occasion when I resigned from a job,) Even when I moved interstate and was, owing to medical issues, only permitted to work a couple of days a week, potential employers wanted to offer me full time work, and I had to politely refuse. In the end, I realised that I would not have even been able to handle part time work. My Neuropsych, said that he'd been waiting for me to come to that decision because he knew I would have accepted his prognosis.

Sadly, TVguy, I don''t know you well enough to say, "Go for it" unequivocally, however, I'm certain that you can make the right decision for you. Whatever decision you make, remember, NO REGRETS, don't look back and say, "If only,,,,,"
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

TVguy (11-12-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

No one can tell you what is best with any sort of credibility. There are a 100 factors we can't know that are significant to you.
    Only thing I would make you aware of is what happens if new job is not what you think or you get put off in say a years time or you can't stand it. Can you get another job easily, would it mean financial hardship, Could you be unemployed long term?

I would mostly be considering the risks. Might be boring where you are now but at least you don't sound stressed . For me at least, there is a lot in that.
    I'd be looking and working to the worst case scenario and hoping for the best.

The grass is always greener on the other side.... till you realise it was a Mirage.... :0)

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

tristen (11-12-18),TVguy (11-12-18)

Thanks

If you have heaps of long service leave / holidays then take all that, take the other job as well and decide which situation is better. I don't know the skills required but it's worth noting that the economy is tipped to fall next year so maybe factor that in your decision. Good luck

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to exited For This Useful Post:

enf (11-12-18),TVguy (11-12-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

I changed careers a number of times and don't regret it. The answer, I think, is whether you are prepared to back yourself, and I don't mean this in a disparaging way. Some people get more or less institutionalised in a job as they get older, and are unable to adapt to other positions. If this is you then you need to be honest with yourself as many are not. Some people are no longer prepared or able to work as hard as they once did. I was not like that when I changed careers, but being honest with myself I probably am now. The extra money doesn't flow to you for doing nothing. I suspect you will have to work much harder and probably longer hours, and you'll have to impress your new boss. Having said that, the money is not to be sneezed, and if you want advancement and are prepared to work for it there are many advantages. Quite frankly I don't know enough about your position to presume to give more specific advice. Just be honest with yourself about whether you can handle and if so whether you want to handle it. If you roll the dice there is no use having regrets. You'll have to make the best of it.

One word about employers, especially in small business. Advancement is not something there is room for in every workplace. Small businesses usually have a very flat structure, often just the boss and workers. Sometimes there may be an intermediate position like manager. Many people only want to do their jobs, either because they enjoy them or because they are simply a means to an end. If you want advancement you need to get a position where this is possible. This is not usually any sort of tactic by bosses. It's only common sense and necessary business that bosses don't want to pay you more for essentially the same thing. Most awards reward experience to some extent with grades which you automatically go through over time, but these are also limited. I find in Australia that employees of small businesses are quite often friends or even good mates with the boss. A friend of my father's years ago was a travel agent. He lost everything in the Pilots strike partly because he did not put off staff when he had no income coming in. Your boss is running a business, not a charity. You're not going to be paid more voluntarily just for the sake of it.
    Last edited by DB44; 11-12-18 at 05:48 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to DB44 For This Useful Post:

TVguy (11-12-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DB44 View Post
    I changed careers a number of times and don't regret it...
    As have I, in the last ten years, including gaining a new trade qualification (related to the new field of employment).

Some people get more or less institutionalised in a job as they get older, and are unable to adapt to other positions. If this is you then you need to be honest with yourself as many are not. Some people are no longer prepared or able to work as hard as they once did. I was not like that when I changed careers, but being honest with myself I probably am now.
    My new tools will be a laptop, multimeters and phillips head screwdriver; using my brain and not my body. Having had to change employment five times in the last twenty years has given me a resilience. Where I am now, there are twenty year veterans who do very little and are hoping for a payout. Not the case for me, I have bugger all leave and will start the new role on the Monday after I finish.

The extra money doesn't flow to you for doing nothing. I suspect you will have to work much harder and probably longer hours, and you'll have to impress your new boss.
    Quite the contrary; the multinational for whom I now work is notorious for underpaying and expecting far too much by regularly culling staff and placing the extra burden on existing employees.
    The new role is field work (which gives one a sense of independence) and once the task is completed the day is over. My former colleague who works there now can attest to this fact.
    This is not a small business and the company is a tier 1 manufacturer. Everything is done in-house and management is local rather foreign serving employees. Possibility for advancement is as much as I would want.

Thanks to all for the feedback. It's nice to hear the voices of others when making such decisions.
    I have now committed to the new position and shall resign on Friday.
    Hopefully happy days are ahead. Life is far too short for procrastination. Sadly, I've been to far to many funerals lately.
    "The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." - Issac Asimov

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TVguy For This Useful Post:

DB44 (15-12-18),lsemmens (14-12-18)

Thanks

Sounds like a plan

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to exited For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (14-12-18),TVguy (11-12-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PZ. View Post
    Sounds like a plan
    Who could argue with the Spudboys from Akron PZ?
    Thanks for posting; you must have noticed the avatar

• The Following User Says Thank You to TVguy For This Useful Post:

exited (12-12-18)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TVguy View Post
    Hopefully happy days are ahead. Life is far too short for procrastination. Sadly, I've been to far to many funerals lately.
    Indeed... way too many funerals and we never know when our own may happen unexpectedly..... so enjoy the time you have.

You've thought this out very well and from what you've said, the new job prospect sounds better than most in regard to job security.

I've had several career changes in my lifetime as well and my biggest regret is not having made the changes sooner.

Best wishes for the future, mate!

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

TVguy (11-12-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Good luck. Sounds like you've made the right decision.

• The Following User Says Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

TVguy (11-12-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Indeed... way too many funerals and we never know when our own may happen unexpectedly..... so enjoy the time you have.

You've thought this out very well and from what you've said, the new job prospect sounds better than most in regard to job security.

I've had several career changes in my lifetime as well and my biggest regret is not having made the changes sooner.

Best wishes for the future, mate!
    Thanks MTV,

Very kind words indeed. I heartily concur with the regret of inaction. My curse has always been . Something that was pointed out to me by my sister who has a doctorate in psychology.
    When I walk into the "Hall of Mirrors", I only see shortcomings and judge myself harshly. This is simultaneously a strength and weakness which drives me to function to the best of my abilities, whilst being acutely aware of inadequacies.

I do so enjoy the harmony of this forum. It is a testament to Andrew and the moderators that one can feel free to express oneself without the odious flaming of other online forums.

Best wishes to all

mtv (11-12-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Hope it is everything you wish for and more. Nothing like a fresh start.
    Sometimes we let things go we should not have and then it bcomes expected. Once that happens it's extremely hard to stand up for yourself and make changes. iI a new position you can reset yourself and your work persona as it were. I know I have gone from one job to another and asked to do things I should not have been and I said no, not doing that and that was the end of it. Never got asked again and I was respected for not being a pushover.

Obviously one has to be reasonable but sometimes we allow ourselves to be used as a floor mat when we shouldn't.
    fresh start wipes the slate clean and you can learn from and avoid making mistakes you regretted again.

Good luck with it. Now you have made the decision, own the job and enjoy the benefits.

• The Following User Says Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

TVguy (12-12-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Resigned today and the relief is palpable. Many shocked faces from HR and my colleagues.
    I never burn bridges and shall leave with a smile on my face. The institutionalised veterans were stunned.
    Perhaps, they may be thinking there is a life outside their own safety zone?
    The deed is done and the future is uncertain. I do enjoy a challenge, and this shall be a test that one either passes or fails.
    So it goes; sink or swim? The next six months shall be interesting.
    Thanks to all once again.

ol' boy (15-12-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

Mate, best of luck. I hope you do really well!

• The Following User Says Thank You to DB44 For This Useful Post:

TVguy (15-12-18)

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

Mate, best of luck. I hope you do really well! also good luck

• The Following User Says Thank You to hinekadon For This Useful Post:

TVguy (15-12-18)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

All the best mate!
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

TVguy (15-12-18)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Good luck with it mate, I would also have said "Go for it".

You are obviously capable if you were being head hunted.

The only head hunting I have ever had directed at me has been of a different kind

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast