Thread: Assylum Policy

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

Default Assylum Policy

Wonder how this will work out....

(may be paywalled, not atm) Google link still works...............

Labor’s asylum vow: you can stay
    Simon Benson
    NATIONAL AFFAIRS EDITOR
    @simonbenson
    11:00PM December 10, 2018
    101 Comments

More than 10,000 asylum-seekers, who arrived in Australia under the open-border policies of the Rudd and Gillard governments and are still being processed almost a #decade later, would be given permanent protection and a pathway to #citizenship under a Shorten #government.

The pledge to end Labor’s boat arrivals hangover by offering the remaining asylum-seekers permanent residency through the abolition of the government’s temporary protection visa system came as The Australian established that the cost of managing the ongoing caseload of applicants had reached more than $2 billion.

Figures obtained by The Australian through the Department of Home Affairs showed that, at the end of last month, 10,600 asylum-seeker cases, of the 30,000 inherited by the Coalition in 2013, remained pending.

Bill Shorten’s office said that under the Opposition Leader’s policy, which is expected to be #reconfirmed at next week’s ALP national conference in Adelaide, the “legacy caseload” of asylum-#seekers would be granted permanent protection under a Labor government. This would give immediate permanent residency with full work and welfare rights to the remaining asylum-seekers — regarded by the Morrison government as illegal arrivals because they travelled by boat.

It would also end the last remnants of Labor’s 2008 policy, which has been widely recognised — even within party circles — as a policy and humanitarian disaster.

Mr Shorten has made it clear he will defy any move by the Left on the floor of the conference to water down his policy of maintaining the Coalition’s boat turnbacks as a primary tool to stop people-smuggling. Offshore processing would also be retained. Labor for Refugees is likely to test both policies at the conference, which will be the first since 2015 when Mr Shorten narrowly succeeded in defeating attempts to remove boat turnbacks from Labor policy.

Mr Shorten has also said Labor will not walk away from the plans to abolish TPVs. This policy would immediately shift the current outstanding caseload to permanent protection visas, which provide permanent residency but can be cancelled at any time.

Mr Shorten said yesterday he was confident any moves by the Left to weaken the party’s border protection policy would be #unsuccessful.

“We’ll have our national conference; I am determined that the people-smugglers don’t get back into business,” Mr Shorten said.

“We will work as the government has to maintain strong borders; turning boats back where it is safe to do so; we are committed to regional processing, full stop. But what I also believe is that, after five-plus years, this government should have done more to resettle people elsewhere around the world than they have, and that’s what we’ll do.

“So for national conference, I am confident that the party #understands the position I’ve outlined, and that is the policy I’ll be taking to the next election.”

The Australian understands that the cost of processing “irregular maritime arrivals” — those who arrived by boat since 2008 — has already reached more than $2bn, according to departmental estimates for processing cases and issuing visas. This does not include expensive transfer costs such as regular flights transporting #asylum-seekers to and from the mainland and back to their country of origin.

The Home Affairs Department also revealed the rising costs of taxpayer-funded litigation, with 3725 rejections now under judicial review after appeals were launched against adverse decisions by the department to reject their applications.

More than $11m is being spent in legal fees each year, amounting to more than $40m in taxpayer-funded cases since 2013.

The government says TPVs were a vital deterrent in stopping people-smuggling operations and preventing them from restarting. Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton said the cost of the legacy caseload would keep growing with a third of the outstanding cases since 2013 still to be processed.

“Labor’s reckless border failures have cost our country dearly,” Mr Dutton said. “Cleaning up the dreadful mess of 50,000 illegal arrivals is costing us hundreds of millions of dollars a year, and will for years to come — money that could otherwise have been spent on Australians, but is sucked up dealing with these people.

“It’s frightening that Labor has clearly learned nothing and is ready to do it again by dismantling two of three pillars of Operation Sovereign Borders that stopped the boats.

“Their threat to end temporary protection visas and now, their backdoor way to end regional processing, will again have #disastrous consequences for our country.

“The boats will restart under Labor.”

Permanent protection visas allow applicants to stay in Australia indefinitely with full access to work and welfare while allowing a pathway to citizenship. They also allow successful applications to sponsor relatives for permanent residency.

TPVs, which were introduced by the Howard government but abolished by the Rudd government in 2008, are granted for three years to provide safe havens for #asylum-seekers, with a view to returning those who arrived illegally to their home country when it is safe to do so. The program was reintroduced in 2015 under the Abbott #government despite attempts by Labor and the Greens to block it, after a deal was struck with crossbenchers.

TPVs were used as part of the Coalition’s dismantling of the network of detention centres Labor was forced to create when an estimated 50,000 people arrived by boat between 2008 and 2013.

The outstanding cases are #regarded as those that are difficult to assess for intelligence and security agencies, because many asylum-seekers arrived without identification documents.

Labor argues that those people already here in Australia were not a security threat but any future boat arrivals would be turned back or sent to offshore processing.

However, it also claims that the number of people arriving by plane and claiming asylum s still higher than the total number of people who arrived in Australia via boat under Labor.

There have been 64,362 applications for protection visas over the past four years from people who arrived by plane.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (11-12-18),eaglem (11-12-18),Landytrack (11-12-18)

Look Here ->
    LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,060 Times in 3,338 Posts

At least those that arrive by 'plane can't get in "through a window" so to speak, they have to come through the "front door" i.e. via customs and immigration even if it is at the airport.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member

Thanks

The infrastructure is overloaded as it is and a Labor open door policy will turn Australia into a third world ghetto.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Landytrack View Post
    The infrastructure is overloaded as it is and a Labor open door policy will turn Australia into a third world ghetto.
    A helluva lot of voters down the track though.....
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

We all know how it is going to work out. This time they can't even wait until they get into Government to start opening the floodgates. I'm still not voting for the Libs or giving them any preference other than last, with the exception of Jim Molan in the Senate. The Libs will never learn their lesson if they're not punished badly. They probably won't learn anyway.
    Last edited by DB44; 11-12-18 at 05:49 PM.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DB44 View Post
    We all know how it is going to work out. This time they can't even wait until they get into Government to start opening the floodgates. I'm still not voting for the Libs or giving them any preference other than list, with the exception of Jim Molan in the Senate. The Libs will never learn their lesson if they're not punished badly. They probably won't learn anyway.
    Concur. Still, it's measurelessly depressing............more failure, more obfuscation, more pandering to the left wing hand wringers.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

eaglem (16-12-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 813 Posts

We all know how it is going to work out. This time they can't even wait until they get into Government to start opening the floodgates. I'm still not voting for the Libs or giving them any preference other than last, with the exception of Jim Molan in the Senate. The Libs will never learn their lesson if they're not punished badly. They probably won't learn anyway.
    I dont think it really matters anymore who/what ends up being elected, the whole system is fu*ked and we the voters/constituents are just a minor irritant to those who are in power

• The Following User Says Thank You to alpha0ne For This Useful Post:

eaglem (16-12-18)

Thanks

Mate, the Lib "progressives" take the view that the so-called sensible centre has moved substantially to the left. This may even be true, but I doubt it. In pursuit of this centre the LIbs have moved to the Left, leaving little difference between themselves and Labor on most issues. Labor has in turn itself moved further to the left, probably more as a response to the dominance of their left-wing and Liberal weakness rather than the Libs moving Left. If the Centre had moved substantially to the Left then I would have expected them to lose votes on the right but pick them up on the left. Instead they have lost votes on the right and picked up none on the left, despite Labor moving more to the left on some issues. This is exactly what one would expect if the Centre has not moved substantially. After all, it's not that long ago that the Coalition was elected in a landslide.

We can't re-elect the Libs, because that will validate their move to the left. If they are punished in a landslide it is quite likely that the Progressives will set the narrative and blame not only disunity but that they didn't move far enough to the left. I suspect if this happens it will be the end of them as a political force. We don't need another left of centre major party, particularly when there is now no major party more conservative party. Signs are that we are heading for the worst and most arrogant government Australia has ever had. I will watch the coming Labor Party conference eagerly in the forlorn hope of some sign that this may not be the case. The fact that they feel they can get away with opening the immigration floodgates again, a policy I believe has little real support in the Australian community, shows not only arrogance but how truly bad the LIbs have been under Turnbull and now Morrison. Who is going to stop the boats next time. i can't wait to hear them talk about pull and push factors again and treat us all like mushrooms.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Morrison was in charge when Abbott directed hime to "stop the boats". We all laughed, me included, but he did.

He had a long shot chance when he took the poison chalice, but caved to the moderates and blew it. Proving to me again that they are ALL a bunch self absorbed failures.

Next election we will elect some proven failures from the past which may, and I say may, move ever more constituents to the view that they haven't got a clue. Any of them.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

DB44 (11-12-18),eaglem (16-12-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

The Libs will never learn their lesson if they're not punished badly. They probably won't learn anyway.
    I think you could almost guaranteed they won’t.

Look at the ALP, who were decimated in the 2013 election when the Abbott Government gained huge numbers of Labor seats. The ALP are now trying to (and likely will) get into Government with what are essentially the same policies that caused them to be booted out.

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to peteramjet For This Useful Post:

DB44 (12-12-18),eaglem (12-12-18),enf (12-12-18),gulliver (12-12-18),Landytrack (14-12-18)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,060 Times in 3,338 Posts

Of course you could give both parties a message and vote . They've gotta be better than the Greens or Any of the other parties. Otherwise we could convince to run a candidate or two.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    Of course you could give both parties a message and vote . They've gotta be better than the Greens or Any of the other parties. Otherwise we could convince to run a candidate or two.
    Quite frankly I think that if the Libs do fade into obscurity, Australian Conservatives do seem to be the most promising alternative at the moment to succeed them. Most of the policies published on their site seem to be really good. If they field a candidate in my electorate, I will likely vote and put that candidate first. But it will take some time for them to become serious contenders, and I suspect it will only be possible if the Libs do effectively collapse, which at the moment seems to be quite a possibility. It is unlikely that I will ever vote for them again whilst they have the likes of Pine, Photios etc. calling the shots and moving them to the left. The only way I can see Morrison getting my vote is if Labor go so far to the loony left that they become unelectable. Already they have some truly awful policies, some of which risk driving the country into recession. Corrupt and lawless Unions will have a huge voice in government, and laws can be expected to strengthen their position, despite the fact that potential members have been voting with their feet as many Unions have become simply training fields for clueless young spivs seeking a safe Labor seat without doing a real days work in their lives. They are already working hard to open the Immigration floodgates. They have an energy policy which is great for everyone but the consumer and the taxpayer. And, of course, we will no doubt soon reinstate our contributions to the UN Climate fund, and face a ruinous "clean" energy target. And these are just the highlights.

Unfortunately support for our soft left Libs will get us many of the same type of policies. As I am fond of saying, we have a choice of the next train to hell or the following one. The destination is the same. Let's elect the bastards, hopefully get the pain over with and maybe have an alternative destination again in the future.
    Last edited by DB44; 12-12-18 at 07:15 PM.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DB44 For This Useful Post:

enf (12-12-18),Landytrack (14-12-18),VroomVroom (14-12-18)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

I wouldn't write all of it as the Liberal's fault.

Labor have had it easy.....copy all the Greens main policies and most Green voters are now voting Labor. This is quite clear......the Greens are getting decimated at elections and could end up disappearing altogether. Anyone remember the Democrats ?

Liberals cant win either way. They have been infiltrated by "moderates", who are in effect people who should be in the Labor Party. Turnbull lobbied Labor to become an MP and when he got nowhere, he went to the Liberals. Julia Banks......seriously, how did this woman get pre selection ?? Moving the party to the left ? Might as well just call it "Labor Light".

As I have mentioned before on here, I was once a loony leftist in my 20's. I have even illegally used (with their knowledge,we had the keys)2 Labor MP's offices to work out of at night. Attended paid for protests, a great day out with free piss and food. In the end, the loony left were too loony for me. I took it as a bit of joke, after all, no one listened to leftists.

I was told by one of the senior loony's - "we might not be taken seriously now, but our time is coming. One, maybe 2 at the most generations and the left will rule the country. Educate the kids the way we want them, and things will go our way. We have the teachers and universities singing our song ".

This was in the mid 90's. And he was exactly right. They did manage to corrupt the minds of the young and now do it large scale. The country is doomed socially, economically we will continue to be filled up with immigrants and refugees to continue growth as no one is interested in any population plan except for Dick Smith.

I have already decided I am bailing and heading for the country. Melbourne is not even recognizable to me anymore, full of third world rubbish doing whatever it wants. My own area is now filling rapidly, bulldozers going through houses everywhere which are replaced with shitty town houses. Major developments are being approved without anyone even hearing about them.......all to the Chinese.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

DB44 (14-12-18),VroomVroom (17-12-18)

Thanks

Of course it's not all the Liberal's fault. You hit the nail on the head when you said they have been infiltrated by moderates. The face is that if you're not well to the left there is really no one to vote for who represents your views. At least no one with any chance of governing. And that includes the Liberal Party dominated as it is by third columnists.

I remember many years ago looking at the extent to which the left had penetrated our institutions, particularly universities, schools and now ever Pre-Schools. I wondered if we would ever have a more conservative government again. I think what has saved us so far is that are a significant number of kids though likely a minority where the indoctrination does not take. To this add the number who develop a little more sense as they grow up, and those who retain mainly left of centre views but vote for Conservatives from time to time when Labor stuff things up. I think we will still get conservative governments from time to time. AT the moment there is no conservative contender. It would be best if the Libs come to their senses, but this is doubtful. Otherwise we either have to wait for Australian Conservatives or another party to grow sufficiently to be real contenders for Government, which may be a long wait. It's also quite possible that Labor will be so bad that even a Leftist Coalition will be elected, in which case heaven help us.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DB44 For This Useful Post:

eaglem (16-12-18),VroomVroom (17-12-18)