• At least 2/16 Memory
    • Google assist with Voice Command Remote Control
    • Google Chromecast
    • Google search using voice command
    • YouTube search using voice command
    • Netflix HD and 4K
    • Dual Band Wifi
    • BT 4.2

So which box does all of the above… ? I have tested a few and non will do them all. In particular Netflix HD, YouTube Search not responding to voice.
    Last edited by B52; 15-12-18 at 04:33 PM.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Although not a box, the last few years Sony TVs do the above
    Last edited by ol' boy; 14-12-18 at 07:19 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Thanks

all comes down to how much you want to spend , i am using a zidoo
    and its by far the best i have used so far.

The new x10 and x20 or the eu versions z10 z20

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    Although not a box, the last few years Sony TVs do the above
    Yes interest in Android TV Boxes will fade as old TV are being replaced with the newer Android OS TV’s. Like Digital Set Top boxes, when DVB-T started in 2001 they were hot sellers, and then slowly became redundant as new TV’s had it built-in.

For now the factories in Shenzhen are cranking up Android boxes, but most don’t pay licence fees hance the functions are incomplete or don’t work. I personally tried a few of them… Xiaomi Mi Box seems to be the one that does it all.

I wish my Sony KD-65X8500E would have bigger RAM capacity, The Opera browser keeps on crashing and the TV hangs up. Need to clear the cash often.

• The Following User Says Thank You to B52 For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (15-12-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

To be honest, i've never found an Internet Browser work well on an Android Box (even though it should)
    Even the Android NUC units i have its nothing like using a laptop for some reason.
    TV the same, all shit
    Last edited by ol' boy; 15-12-18 at 12:32 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Thanks

In my opinion "Nvidia Shield" is the best android box that does it all what you ask for B52. It has the official android Oreo UI and early next year 9 Pie is in the works. It is a bit more expensive than others, I just bought one for $180 from Centrecom for a Chrissy present. No other box out scores this one and easy to sideload apps.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

I believe there are a handful of newer contenders but just about everyone I know who is seriously into it are using Shields. They are the de facto standard. Ironically I'm using much lesser specced Fire TV boxes, which are great value for money and work well. But I'm not into 4K, at least not yet.

Thanks

I had a Xiaomi Mi Box to a 4k TV. This box works well, only let down is there is no wired LAN.
    But it does all your requirements.
    I now have a Sony Android TV. The built in Android does all your requirements excellent.

My additional requirement and very important to me is the ability to play Dolby Atmos 7.1.
    No other boxes can do this.
    I have a home theatre projector room set up with AV receiver 9.2 channels.
    Although I have an Oppo 4k BluRay player that streams my files, okay for 1080p files, but it fails with 4K H265 HDR encoded files.
    Therefore I needed the ultimate King of Android boxes:
    Nvidia Shield TV
    It does it all and more.
    Do not waste your time and money buying anything else.
    I have bought several different brand boxes around the $30-80 mark, when I should have
    paid the big bucks once only on a Nvidia Shield and not have several inferior boxes which total cost more than a Shield.
    If you are into gaming also, this box is for you. you can use it as an emulator for older
    Sega, Nintendo etc. games.
    Also take note, 2 days ago Nvidia did an update to play 4k and Dolby 5.1 youtube and Amazon music.
    Support & development from Nvidia is excellent.

This link is fantastic
    Chigz reviews of all boxes and he has them ranked with description of what they do (eg. 4k, Dolby 5.1 etc.)

Nvidia had a pre Christmas price drop. Kogan had them very cheap. I now notice
    Centrecom have them on sale.
    Available with or without a game type controller.
    Last edited by shlocker; 16-12-18 at 12:01 AM.

• The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to shlocker For This Useful Post:

charboull (12-02-19),efab (16-12-18),Guiseppe (16-12-18),joezep (16-12-18),LeroyPatrol (15-01-19),ol' boy (16-12-18),OSIRUS (29-12-18),th37sk (20-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 573 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shlocker View Post
    I had a Xiaomi Mi Box to a 4k TV. This box works well, only let down is there is no wired LAN.
    You can use a USB to LAN converter on the Mi Box for a wired LAN if needed. Will give you up to Gigabit speeds.

The Mi Box is good, and will do what you want (although I don’t have access to 4K Netflix to test) but it has become less stable with the upgrade to Android 8.0. It can be controlled via infrared, as well as the Bluetooth control, which is great for connecting it to an existing multi function remote (Logitech, etc). The new model (Mi Box 4) is apparently more stable and runs with Android 8.1.

The Shield does seem to be the top of the line, but it doesn’t come with infrared anymore, and the hardware is circa 2015, so is starting to get on a bit with a refresh model likely coming soon.

• The Following User Says Thank You to peteramjet For This Useful Post:

admin (21-12-18)

Thanks

And so if you have ordered a cheap box you probably get a box which is using modified android phones software, The picture quality looks like 480p, changing resolution is just upscaling the 480p, the picture has this hazy white wash very noticeable on a 65" TV. When powering up a genuine Android TV box you should be getting the marshmallows as showing here....>>

Thanks

xxx

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,599 Times in 1,950 Posts

my 4k lg smart tv does all that, including playing 4k h265 with atmos sound directly from my nas etc.....

never understood the hype around oppo blu ray players, typical audiophile wank......

my 4k sony blu ray player streams 4k h265 as well. its also region free blu ray and dvd and does foxtel play, amazon, 4k netflix, iview etc....
    Last edited by hoe; 29-12-18 at 10:41 AM.

Thanks

Just Bought a Sony X85F 75 inch led and it certainly does most things my K111 box does . Only thing is I cant connect it on the LAN to my Universal Media Server on my PC where all my stuff is stored .
    I can see the renderer on the Sony and I can see the Sony on the UMS renderer on the network but so far no connection.
    Any Ideas ??

Premium Member
    Thanks

Hi I am using an old android box on skymuster with livenettv , it works good sometimes , it glitches and sometimes stops , would updating my old box stop the problems that I have or would my problems be skymuster related and it cant be fixed with a new box . I dont want to buy a new box and have the same problem but the new boxes have everything better inside than the one I have thanks wazza811

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shlocker View Post
    Do not waste your time and money buying anything else.
    I have bought several different brand boxes around the $30-80 mark, when I should have
    paid the big bucks once only on a Nvidia Shield and not have several inferior boxes which total cost more than a Shield.
    Big thanks for this post. I was on the fence between boxes working to transition away from Rokus throughout the house. Grabbed a Shield gaming ed for $186 Amazon (US) on a recent trip to the States. Couldn't be happier with the performance, ability to side-load, network share the Shield for easy file drop, cool features like Pandora continues to stream music while I've 'backed out' of the app and currently browsing Plex or the like. As a quick test, I also (rather painlessly) streamed a Steam game from our office PC to the 4K TV and everything just worked OOTB. The kids dig it.

At any rate, thanks for the above comment. It stuck in my head for some weeks as I'm a person who prefers to buy quality, the first and only time.

Having said this, I may still buy a Xiaomi Mi Box S for the bedroom TV as a shield will be overkill for falling asleep to crap