Thread: Hello from accross the pond in the USA

Thanks

Wink Hello from accross the pond in the USA

HI
    First of all my name is Doug and I am 57yrs old plus a grandpa as well. I live about 19km from the United States Capitol in Washington DC and sometimes I feel way to close to all the action up on Capitol Hill as well. I left the US Army back in 85 and went to work for Pan Am airlines until they went under. Then I changed jobs and went into transportation and got my CDL aka commercial drivers Lic. Before I had to leave the drivers seat due to a bad back i had driven over 1,609,344KM all over the USA and Canada. A couple of the coaches that I drove was worth over $1million US Dollars as well. I have always also loved shortwave radio and built my first shortwave from a kit when I was just 10yrs old. My dad raised me with a screwdriver in my left hand and a soldiering iron in my right hand. I was just 7 when I found out a flat blade butter knife would work as a screwdriver as well. I also love to read, travel when I can, work with scanners and programming them and hand held mobile portable radios also and their programming software. I like to build my own computers from parts that I can get and have put together a home network as well. My desktop has 5 hard drives in it and I am using a tv for my main monitor plus a 25inch secondary monitor as well. I have some medical issues with bad back and right leg as well plus the constant pain that goes with it as well but hey at least I am alive and mobile as of right now... That is a little bit about me here in the USA.
    Have a great day eveyone and take care
    Last edited by motorcoachdoug; 17-12-18 at 04:39 AM.

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Great intro Doug!

Welcome to Austech.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

Hi Doug, you sound much like me, except the radio bit. And the fact that I live a bit further from Washington DC than you (only by a few thousand miles ) Welcome down Under!
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

welcome and nice to read a bit about yourself. Hang around and you'll get to know a bit about us too!!

Leroy

Thanks

You should fit in well good luck mate

Thanks

Thank you everyone. Here in the Washington DC Metro area almost everyone is running the 700/800mhz motorola phase 1 and phase 2 systems. With at least 15 different federal offices and then the local governments plus the state of Virginia,Maryland and the District of Columbia which is a Federal City, not a state,just about everyone can connect to each other into One Large Radio Network if need be. Their are fire,police and medical channels that can tie in to each other so everyone is on the same page as well. It can be confusing also unless you really look around and learn all the different systems. One web page that is very useful is which has all the listings for the usa,canada and a couple of other countries as well. Anyway if you want any info about the DC Metro area give me a shout...

• The Following User Says Thank You to motorcoachdoug For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (19-12-18)

Thanks

Welcome Doug, I just joined myself.