Thread: Locked Tablet or Not?

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,053 Times in 3,334 Posts

Default Locked Tablet or Not?

Wife has a Samsung Galaxy Tab which is capable of making phone calls (however, the plan she is on is a pure data plan with Telstra. She is still under contract, so am loathe to do too much to affect said contract. So far, so good. I've managed to lose my phone and have ordered a replacement sim. Telstra have advised that they can lock the tablet if I use another SIM in it. The question being. If I am using a Telstra SIM what is it to them which SIM is in the device, it's not as though I am not paying them for the device? Would/Could they lock me out of my device if I am using another SIM from their own network?
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

I would just try it. suggests it wouldn't be locked.

At worse you would have to ring them to unlock it.

LSemmens
    Thanks

I spoke to sales supervisor today on another matter, and asked about this. The response was (and it does sound like BS) that the sim cards a locked into various plans, i.e. mobile phone with a data component or data with a mobile component. So far so good. If the Carrier (as directed by the regulatory body) detects a mobile SIM in a Data Tablet, they will lock the SIM. A fact I find a little weird. Though I am aware that they can determine what is who by remote control, the question I would ask is WHY????

Thanks

Money of course. There's millions being made. Answer is ween yourself off this addictive behaviour. As if we can!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    I spoke to sales supervisor today on another matter, and asked about this. The response was (and it does sound like BS) that the sim cards a locked into various plans, i.e. mobile phone with a data component or data with a mobile component. So far so good. If the Carrier (as directed by the regulatory body) detects a mobile SIM in a Data Tablet, they will lock the SIM. A fact I find a little weird. Though I am aware that they can determine what is who by remote control, the question I would ask is WHY????
    Its bullshit mate, any telstra sim will work. Done the same to phones, phone was an optus prepaid but used a sim from another optus reseller and no issues at all.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 570 Posts

Telstra use IMEI marching to determine if a SIM card will work in a device. A data SIM is blocked by IMEI from operating in a mobile phone, and will only work in a tablet. It may be the same for mobile phone SIM cards in tablets.

This may be what they meant when they said it will be blocked.

LSemmens
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peteramjet View Post
    A data SIM is blocked by IMEI from operating in a mobile phone, and will only work in a tablet.
    THe data sim can be used to make and recieve phone calls, We got caught some months ago when we found that the tablet would work as a phone. Got charged like a wounded bull for a few phone calls.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 570 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    THe data sim can be used to make and recieve phone calls, We got caught some months ago when we found that the tablet would work as a phone. Got charged like a wounded bull for a few phone calls.
    A Telstra data SIM will make calls in a tablet that has that ability, it is just a normal SIM after all. But the data SIM will not work in a phone due to IMEI blocking.