Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fun with Drones - Gatwick Airport

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cjorg View Post
    Would it not be possible to use a jamming device and force it down? Hell or just get close with a helicopter and shoot it with a shotgun. Doesn’t seem that hard.
    I think it would be very easy to do this. Drones and many other things work in a specific bandwidth. With digital there are hundreds of frequencies within that band but a signal generator could be set to block all the frequencies within that band. Couple of things come to mind...

I suspect the cops were not trying to down the drones as much as catch the culprits. They down the drone and the antagonist is likely to be pissed and go get another couple. They probably need to fine the source rather than the problem.

Some drones when they loose signal have a return to home feature. Jamming the signal may invoke that which would be a good thing IF they could track the thing. They can Fly high or low and fast and that may not be so easy to do.

I heard on a news report they were bringing in snipers. I laughed. No way a sniper could hit something like a drone. Way too fast and erratic moving and they have to have some clue when and where the thing would be. Now, Duck hunter with a Shotgun, different story.
    I doubt they would use a chopper unless it was military but shotgun would bring it down. I was only watching a vid last week about shotgun loads designed to take down Drones. They didn't really work. Some birdshot worked very well.

As the drone seemed to have a camera as so many do, getting close enough to hit it was likley the problem but again. I think they were after the source of the problem rather than the cause.

Your proposed solutions are as irresponsible as the action of the drone operator, if not worse.
    Actually Id say your arrogance combined with your ignorance is worse than the drone flyer. The other guys questions were about as far from irresponsible as your retort was justified. You clearly have no idea of either thing you lambasted others for suggesting and just wanted to take your High horse out for a ride. Pity it kicked you square in the face.

You obviously have no idea about band with, signal strength or other very basic principals involved here.

As for the shotgun idea, how many "Nearby people" do you think are going to be standing out in the middle of an airport near the runways? Or in your mind, did you see the cops blasting away within 50 M of the terminals and aircraft? You actually have zero knowledge or experience with shotguns do you?

A local airport near me used to have a Trap shooting range on the edge of an airfield shooting towards the runways. Only reason they closed it was due to noise. In your ignorance, how far you think shotgun pellets travel? They are not the same as .50 cal rounds that's for sure!

The only danger to people would be ignorants like you causing panic that people were going to be shot if you could see someone with a shotty...... which you wouldn't because they would be out in the middle of the field wouldn't they?

Here's bit of a heads up for your enlightenment....
    The only problem with shooting the drone down with a Shotgun would be getting close enough in the first place to hit it with any force to be able to take it out.
    Hitting other people with the pellets or endangering property and life as the thing came down in the middle of nothingness out the middle of an airport is so ridiculous, I have to wonder if your indignation was some sort of a bad joke.

And authorities having to obey the law like everyone else..... at a time of a crisis like this especially..... Were you actually sober and straight when you wrote this crap or just so hell bent on stepping on someone else to elevate your own non existent credibility you weren't worried about making yourself look like a complete and utter fool in he process?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

That was quite uncalled for, george65.

Thanks

Wow I knew the shotgun thing would get a few anti-gun people going, but that was fast. It was meant as a joke, but obviously some folks are a little touchy. For those that don’t know, shotguns are effective ONLY at short range, the pellets have so much drag that they slow down very rapidly and fall to the ground. Another obvious is that the police or military would be the agency’s that would do such a thing and they would require a no fly zone. I’m sure they would enjoy the mission. I guess I better stop now as George65 is correct. Ok
    Last edited by cjorg; 23-12-18 at 08:08 AM.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

What ever the case, this has sure pointed out the weakness and vulnerabilities of disturbing a major airport.
    The response seemed equally weak

A co-ordinated attack on multiple airports using sacrificial drones would be a cheap way to grind air transport to a halt
    Last edited by ol' boy; 23-12-18 at 11:18 AM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

A 47-year-old man and 54-year-old woman from Crawley are being questioned over multiple drone sightings that brought Gatwick Airport to a standstill.

The Israeli-developed Drone Dome system, which can detect drones using radar, is believed to have been used. It can jam communications between the drone and its operator, enabling authorities to take control of and land the device.

But John Murray, professor of robotics and autonomous systems at the University of Hull, told the BBC the problem with this system was "you can find the drone but not the person operating it".

"You can take the drone out of the sky but you won't capture the person and that's what you want to do."

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

that "Two people arrested on Friday night in connection with the drone sightings have been released and police say they are "no longer suspects".

For those interested in learning more about drones and their capabilities useful info. is available at

The feasibility of "jamming" a drone's remote control facility is discussed in the document at .

More discussion at , etc.

Banned
    Thanks

The Police now suspect there never were any drones buzzing Gatwick.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Pretty disgusting how the Police are dealing with this:

You might think it is the shitty press fault creating all that slander for those poor people but I have to blame the Police as they can be the only ones responsible for releasing their identities.

Soon ruining innocent people's lives like this will be an everyday occurrence here in Australia when they have full access to our devices and are so overwhelmed with all that data of false positives that they can't see the forest from all the trees.

If this would happen to me I probably want to neck myself:

I also wouldn't have a chance to sue the paper because I could never afford the litigation cost. Only the rich and famous can do that.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

admin (28-12-18),hinekadon (25-12-18)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

It could have been one of the neighbours looking for their five seconds of fame who "dobbed them in" to the media. FWIW I think that the media, at law, should only be permitted to report the fact that someone has been arrested and no identifying details UNTIL they are found guilty.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

shred (25-12-18)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    It could have been one of the neighbours looking for their five seconds of fame who "dobbed them in" to the media..
    So how would the neighbours know that they were arrested for the Gatwick drone attack?
    The police must be held responsible for this leak.

So strange that nobody can provide evidence that the drones existed. If people saw them, why doesn't somebody come forward with images. At least 50% of phone cameras have now 4K video.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (26-12-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Seems to me the possibility of the whole thing being a scam akin to the "weapons of mass destruction" BS the US used to get support for drone registration is the most likely scenario.
    A ridiculous idea on the same level that having gun registration enables cops to track down armed robbers. Of course every Crim has their gun registered, it would be against the law not to and if you can't trust a bank robber to obey the law, who can you trust?
    A terrorist with a drone would of course his Drone was registered and then cancel it after he blew the thing up somewhere.

Registration won't stop any crimes but it will raise some good revenue for the gubbermint and pacify the whingers and cry babys.
    In the mean time, the innocent who just want to go have some fun once again Cop it.

I happened to be walking along the Beach with the Mrs about a year back. There was an Asian guy there with an expensive Drone. I was watching him fly it and got talking to him.
    He showed me how he could lock the thing on to his wife and child as they walked along the beach and played at the waters edge. The thing did slow circles around them well above them then down to their level. The guy was so excited about the footage he was getting of his wife and son and I could see what fantastic memories he was making.

It would be like Hollywood quality footage of his Boy and something amazing to look back on in years to come. To put this guy and thousands like him on a Suspects list which is what any registration of this type is, demonstrates the stupidity of the excuse which again would be nothing more than a revenue raiser.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Now looks what's happened

Australia to bring in Drone Registration for All drone users
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    Now looks what's happened

Australia to bring in Drone Registration for All drone users
    Link to where it says that at CASA???
    Last edited by Tiny; 26-12-18 at 06:14 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Link to where it says that at CASA???
    At the moment it is still a only recommendation for all drones over 250g:

After this Gatwick incident it is highly likely the ScoMo/Shorten duopoly will run a short scare campaign to convince us that mandatory registration is better for our safety and present themselves as heroes for looking after us so well when they get full senate support on this at the next meeting.

What the senate probably doesn't get that if anybody breaks the current rules the fines are already humungous, which can work quite well as a deterrent.
    I think it should be mandatory that the actual fines should be printed or a sticker on every box the drone is sold in.

However unlike guns, anybody can just build a drone and still cause havoc while flying unregistered.
    Therefore nothing actually changes with a registration except that our Gov.au has a new money grab.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 26-12-18 at 09:41 PM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (26-12-18),Tiny (27-12-18)

Banned
    Thanks

Was on the news today with senior exec at Casa - new registration rules from next Jul. All drones will have a rego number, owners will have to sit an exam before getting their licence - heavy fines for users without registration and licence. Fees less than $10.

Also new technology to track drones and and direction find the control signal to locate controller.

It is happening.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by garrycol View Post
    Was on the news today with senior exec at Casa - new registration rules from next Jul. All drones will have a rego number, owners will have to sit an exam before getting their licence - heavy fines for users without registration and licence. Fees less than $10.

Also new technology to track drones and and direction find the control signal to locate controller.

It is happening.
    another reactive legislation change

yet they wont do the same for the bloody bike riders

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Yeah i recon they should shoot all those motor bike riders, would like to comment more but have to go for my Beach Road bicycle ride and annoy a few motorists
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Premium Member
    Thanks

And still no Rego for cyclists?

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

admin (28-12-18)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by garrycol View Post

It is happening.
    It sure was all over the news ;-)

What a joke it's turned into
    What about model planes?

They been quitly waiting for an event like Gatwick to unleash thier planned introduction of Rego and other rules.
    But who is going to enforce it?
    Last edited by ol' boy; 27-12-18 at 07:28 AM.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    What about model planes?
    They are covered under the same rules now & will be covered by the new rules according to the document nomeat kindly linked.

The rules are for Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems (RPAS), that is anything that can fly by remote control.

It doesn't look like such a big deal for Recreational users at the moment, with the intention of the new rules, however bureaucracy may change that.

The fines will be the enforcer, if you get caught without registration the cost will be enormous. It just won't prove economical to dodge the registration, even where I live.
    If someone dobs you in, it's going to be an expensive hobby, so better to register & get over it.
    Last edited by Tiny; 27-12-18 at 09:37 AM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (27-12-18)

• Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast