Thread: Inserting (hyper)links into a pre-existing PDF file

Thanks
    Thanked 3,664 Times in 831 Posts

Default Inserting (hyper)links into a pre-existing PDF file

Hi guys,

I have the following scenario. I've created a PDF file using CutePDF Writer (free software) and the reason I used this and not the standard PDF conversion tool that one gets in Word is because that tool refuses to properly embed a particular font I'm using (for the purposes of rendering certain uncommon mathematical symbols - a "TEX" type of font). CutePDF of course "prints" it, so no problem with that, but the PDF tool that comes with Word of course saves all your headings, bookmarks and links that you've created within the document, whereas printing with CutePDF does not.

It's not so much internet hyperlinks I'm worried about, but actually internal links in the document. For example, the text may discuss a figure, say Fig. 1.1 and then I wish to hyperlink to Fig. 1.1, to make it easy for the reader of my document. This of course works in Word and save as PDF, but now, because I wish to retain my fonts properly, using CutePDF, one loses that link functionality.

Does anyone know of some PDF editing tool that would be able to insert bookmarks and links and stuff into a pre-existing PDF document?

Naturally, I am not keen on having to subscribe to something like Adobe Acrobat, so what I'm seeking is something online or where/however that could do something like this. I know of ones that can insert blank pages and stuff, and change font colour, but don't know of a tool regarding links.

Many thanks in advance guys.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Update -- I may have found a simple little workaround for this. Seems replacing the .otf font file with .ttf font file does the trick (open type v. true type).

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Possibly Libre Office or Open Office may also do what you want. They can create PDFs.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

irritant (24-12-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    Possibly Libre Office or Open Office may also do what you want. They can create PDFs.
    Yeah, I guess those would work too. Only other option is to dust off the LaTeX again, and drag myself to refreshing my typesetting skills again. Been a few years and I'm very rusty.

But then you know the fonts and formatting is exactly how you programmed it to be, no matter on which PC, etc. you view it.