Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows 10 or 7

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Philquad View Post
    i came across a slim built someone created, i havnt tried it, apparently it works fine but he said dont winge about whats missing if you dont read it 1st

Good job. Has he got a link to share?

Here are SOME notes what I do. Disabling Updates is a big issue!!! M$ attempts to restore things back to the way they want it and fails. Risk of endless loops.
    I use this for systems that are normally offline. There is a lot more, removing individual apps, etc but I haven't got it in my head. So just a compilation of some tips:

Have the Win10 iso that matches your system if you stuff up.
    You need it for .NET 3.5 anyhow(if offline). Do that first. If you open the iso after the mods it might try to update -> mess.

Installing Dotnet 3.5 offline:
    Load your Win10 iso.
    Open an Admin command prompt:
    Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /All /Source:X:\sources\sxs /LimitAccess

X: replace with drive letter of the loaded Win10.iso

Remove the iso and reboot.

Disable everything in privacy and stop Cortana getting to know me.

Disable updates, apart from setting WiFi to metered on each connection(which worked before the Creators update) :

type in: services in the ask box
    or : services.msc in the run box
    scroll down to Windows Updates
    right click and select properties
    Startup type select disabled
    OK

For windows 10 Pro:
    To open the Group Policy Editor, press Windows+R, type “gpedit.msc” into the Run dialog box that appears, and then press “Enter.”
    Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Update
    Double-click the “Do not include drivers with Windows Updates” option in the right pane.
    Set the option to “Enabled” and click “OK.”
    Then "Allow automatic updates immediate installation" set to "Disable"
    Restart.

Disable updates in the registry(for Windows Home):
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Wi ndows\WindowsUpdate
    If you don’t see WindowsUpdate inside the Windows key, you’ll need to create it.
    To do so, right-click the Windows key, select New > Key and name it “WindowsUpdate.”
    Next, you’ll need to create the value.
    With the WindowsUpdate key selected, right-click any open space in the right pane and select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
    Name the new value “ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate," double-click it to open its properties window,
    and then set its value data to 1.
    Restart.

Disable Cortana:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > Policies > Microsoft > Windows > Windows Search
    If it isn’t there, right-click the Windows folder, select New > Key, and name it Windows Search
    With the Windows Search folder selected in the left-hand navigation pane, right-click in the main portion of the window
    and select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value. A new listing will appear in the main pane, ready to be named; name it AllowCortana.
    Afterward, double-click it and in the box that appears, ensure that the Value Data is set to 0
    Close the Registry Editor, then sign out of Windows 10. When you sign back in, Cortana is gone.

Remove Windows Junk:
    Start menu and type PowerShell, but don't press Enter. Right-click the PowerShell shortcut and click “Run as administrator.”
    Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers | Remove-AppxPackage

This removes only some bloat. For more intense cleanup you need to manually seek and destroy.

Get more storage:
    Disable Hibernation
    Right-click on the Start button and choose Command Prompt (Admin)
    type powercfg.exe /hibernate off
    OK

Check your virtual memory settings too, pagefile.sys. I set to 200MB or less. With all the RAM we have available these days, it is only for emergencies.

Compress the OS:
    Open Admin command prompt:
    compact /compactOS:always

Before the non-nerds waffle on about how important the Updates are (because that is what M$ tells you) please consider that different people have different uses for their computers.
    I always wanted to run Windows 10 on a Raspberry Pi.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 27-12-18 at 11:15 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (28-12-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

@nomeat

its in here,
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Philquad For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (28-12-18),tristen (28-12-18),Uncle Fester (28-12-18)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

I don't know how people have so many problems with computers. I even have an old Acer desktop with a Core 2 Duo and a Windows Vista sticker on it that is running Windows 10.

I only stopped using it for encoding music video clips at 640 x 480 a year ago, it now runs 12 hours a day displaying my security cameras.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,664 Times in 831 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    I don't know how people have so many problems with computers. I even have an old Acer desktop with a Core 2 Duo and a Windows Vista sticker on it that is running Windows 10.

I only stopped using it for encoding music video clips at 640 x 480 a year ago, it now runs 12 hours a day displaying my security cameras.
    Have to agree. Windows 10 is one of the best that have come along in a long time. I had an old Dell Desktop machine that had 2GB RAM, even lower than a Core 2 IIRC and built for Vista sticker on it, and still ran really well with 10 for years until the HDD packed up from old age.
    Last edited by irritant; 28-12-18 at 08:17 PM.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Sounds like a lot of hard work just for an operating system that is supposed to just work quietly in the background and not give you any grief.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    Sounds like a lot of hard work just for an operating system that is supposed to just work quietly in the background and not give you any grief.
    The only OS that did that was DOS.
    ...and some of the issues I have with Win10 today are still fixed with the Command prompt
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (29-12-18),tristen (29-12-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post

linux witness
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

• The Following User Says Thank You to Philquad For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (03-01-19)

Thanks

Yeah im very surprised to see so many people still hanging on to windows 7 as am i having tried both 8.1 and ten I just couldn't handle all the bits and bobs that you need to get around just for simple things to work.
    Its very heavy as a operating system on the cpu and the updated are insane. I know alot of people for whom windows ten works well.
    So im not here to say what is right of wrong.
    Thing is im just a little scared of what happens when support for windows 7 completely drops. I may even as much as i hate to say it switch over to mac. Mac has its getting used to persiod too and also some annoying features but its smoother to me than Windows 10 however still not in the class of windows 7 imho. LONG LIVE WINDOWS 7. !!!
    Ps Im not a gamer

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12